An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's official

mariology21

mariology21

Well after months discerning between the Dominicans or the Carmelites it was "shown" to me last night that it's the Carmelites for me! I'm going to become a Third Order Carmelite.

I've kind of "known" in my deepest heart that this is the Order I was being called to, but was discerning between that and the Dominicans for the longest time. I kept thinking that "this one sounds good" but "so does this one." So finally I just placed it all in our Lord's hands and told Him that when the time was right, if He'd please just let me know which one He chose. So He did that last night.

And I'm soooooo pleased! I've always had such a deep pull towards the Carmelites but I figured if He wanted the Dominicans for me then that'd be fine too. But it's the Carmelites who've always had a very special place in my heart and soul and I guess now I'm understand why!!

So please pray for me as I begin this step. Now I have to start letting others know and I'm not too sure on the reaction from my family. I just wish they'd be pleased for me and excited but I'm not too sure. We'll have to see!!

Thank you!

~Jen

Awww, that's wonderful news, Jen! God bless you in your vocational discernment and response to Him!! You will most certainly be in my prayers!

-Carly

mariology21

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Aug 8 2005, 10:21 PM']Yay! As a third Order Carmelite, will you be a lay person?
[right][snapback]677773[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes. For the longest time I was discerning whether I had a call to the Carmelite Order either as a cloistered sister or as a religious sister (right? That's the term for the active sisters???) but the more I discerned the more I realized that God had other things in mind.

THEN I began discerning whether He wanted me to enter the Third Order of an order. After much time I came to realize that yes this is what He wanted.

THEN I just assumed that He wanted me in the Carmelites. Just a hint: don't just assume things about God!! :D: It took me many months but that IS what He wants....I guess He just wanted more discernment from me!!!

But yes, I'll be a member of the laity living in the secular world except living the Rule of the Carmelites. I'll be able to get married and have lots of children.

I'm so excited about this!!! And can't wait for it!! But I'm going to take it slow and not rush....do things in God's way and time!!

~Jen

That's awesome. I really wish there were more lay people living under Religious constitutions, because there is so much to be learned from the monastic type of life that [i]can[/i] be incorporated into the secular world. I think in the Middle Ages a lot more families lived that way, and we can see from history that that was beneficial.
Anyhow, I'm very excited for you. Will have go through a process of degrees before you're a full-fledged 3rd Order Carm?

mariology21

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Aug 9 2005, 09:20 AM']Will have go through a process of degrees before you're a full-fledged 3rd Order Carm?
[right][snapback]678100[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup. It'll take five years before I'm a full-fledged member. It's got the same "steps" as those entering the Religious life....just a little bit of different process.

~Jen

That's great!! I hope you're really happy as a 3rd order carmelite!

Edited by zabbazooey

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Aug 9 2005, 08:20 AM']That's awesome. I really wish there were more lay people living under Religious constitutions, because there is so much to be learned from the monastic type of life that [i]can[/i] be incorporated into the secular world. I think in the Middle Ages a lot more families lived that way, and we can see from history that that was beneficial.

[right][snapback]678100[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are more people living under "religious constitutions" today. There are literally MILLIONS of people today worldwide living the life of Third Order members. I took my vows in 1987.

There are also "Secular Institutes" these are different from Secular or Third Orders. You can also become a Benedictine Oblate. Many religious communities have "Associates" these are people that follow the spirituality of the community.

If anyone is interested in more info, I would suggest you do a search on the Internet.

That's awesome. I'm going to be a TOC as well.

Are you joining the Third Order for the ancient Carmelites or the Third Order Discalced? (Discalced for me; gotta follow St. John of the Cross :) )