An Old School Catholic Message Board

Looking for a spiritual director

msahara

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Aug 31 2005, 09:09 AM']I'm only looking for a priest. I've had kind of spiritual direction with very good religious, but I really, really need a priest now.
[right][snapback]706130[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, I'm kinda in the same situation. My SD is an Opus Dei numerary and she's very helpful but I really need a priest who understands the religious life better.

Well, Saint Faustina REALLY believed that your priest spiritual director is simply the man Jesus uses to speak through... so I think it's kind of imperative for me to find a priest! And you're right, priests really do understand religious life, even if they're diocesan priests, just like they understand married life. God infuses them with the grace to perform the duties of priesthood!

But actually the priest I *think* I have found is the spiritual director for an Order of [i]very good[/i] cloistered discalced Carmelite nuns in New Caney, TX.

This has been my big trouble too. GOOD Spiritual directors are so hard to find.

Another huge problem I've got is ... most every religious community at least requires a priest's recommendation on their application ... but as a vagabond, transient college student, there aren't any priests who know me very well!

I'm only in one place for about 7.5 months out of the year, and then I move! I really am a parish-hopper. And I feel awful just thinking about asking an over-worked, overtired priest to help me with anything so time consuming, when I'm a newbie really just "stopping by" his parish.

Fides_et_Ratio

I recommend priests as spiritual directors (and I think this is a more common case in most saints I think of who've had spiritual directors...) because priests can also act as confessors and that gives them an edge in directing you. The Sacrament of Confession is a great grace to spiritual direction... and you can only receive that with the aid of a priest. :)

[quote name='Fair Verona' date='Aug 31 2005, 05:10 PM']This has been my big trouble too. GOOD Spiritual directors are so hard to find.

Another huge problem I've got is ... most every religious community at least requires a priest's recommendation on their application ... but as a vagabond, transient college student, there aren't any priests who know me very well! 

I'm only in one place for about 7.5 months out of the year, and then I move!  I really am a parish-hopper. And I feel awful just thinking about asking an over-worked, overtired priest to help me with anything so time consuming, when I'm a newbie really just "stopping by" his parish.
[right][snapback]706604[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is there a priest on campus that you can get to know?

The best advice I can give you is to be aware of the fact that despite reputations of being an excellent spiritual director sometimes people just don't click. If it doesn't start working well for both of you after 3 or 4 sessions then you should look for another SD. If they are a good SD in general they will not be offended, especially if you are leaving on grounds of spiritual incompatibility. Any SD that's really worth their snuff will discuss this very thing with you!