An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help!

zabbazooey

I just don't feel connected to God lately. I've fallen into mortal sin, a lot of unfortunate things have happened to me and to others, and I just have no idea what I want out of life.

How can I feel more connected? I've been going to Mass every Sunday, Adoration every week, pray every day.

WHAT MORE?

I'm so confused.

Thanks guys for the help.

Pax Christi,
Rachel

Rachel,

I've had the same problems that you've had, even the mortal sin part.
I'm going to describe my prayer life, and then I'll try to give you a few suggestions.

This is how my prayer life works: I attend Mass whenever possible. I go to confession and spiritual direction, twice a month (if I fall into mortal sin- God help me- I go as soon as possible. I recall the presence of God frequently, and I pray the Rosary daily. Because I am discerning my vocation (which I believe is to the priesthood and the religious life) I meditate using the Teresian form of mental prayer, and I also pray the Divine Office. While I do make a weekly holy hour, I find that daily visits to the Blessed Sacrament are better, because of my schedule, etc.

What I would suggest is: weekly Mass and weekly adoration. Pray during the morning and evening- before school, before you go to sleep, etc. Pray the Rosary every day, and examine your conscience before you go to bed as well. I would also recommend, keeping yourself in the presence of God by remembering Him during the day- by aspirations, loving thoughts, etc. Read a short Scripture passage, and/or another spiritual book daily.

But don't force yourself to pray. God doesn't want you to suffer, and He doesn't command you spend hours in prayer. He doesn't mind the time, so much as the effort. If you've been experiencing aridity in prayer, and bad stuff's been happening lately God might be testing your fidelity, your love for Him, and your dedication to prayer. It is possible that
you could also be beginning the dark night of the soul which has been described and written on by Saint John of the Cross- if you wish I could refer you to a good and holy priest about this.

I hope this helps, Rachel, if you want to speak more, reply or send me an e-mail.

Your friend,
Brendan

Edited by brendan1104

Maybe it has become to habitual-you may have just got into the habit of going to Mass and Adoration. It happens to most of us once in our life. Go back to basics and think more about your own personal relationship with God. Don't get too stuck into a routine of prayer-of course, pray as often as you can, but don't say the same prayers all the time because it can just end up like receiting a poem that needs to be learned for class. Talk to God, and listen. Listening is the most important part of prayer, and the part that is most often forgotten. Tell God your troubles and worries and ask Him for help and although it may not be apparent immediately, God will answer your prayers in His own time and His own way. Don't give up on Him-try and look at your prayer life and make it more fulfilling, spend your time at Mass and Adoration wisely and just keep trying to be the best person you can be. Saints aren't always the ones who know the most about Theology or Apologetics, but those who have great faith in God and who strive to be like Him every day, in good times and in bad. Remember, Saints were sinners too but they never gave up on themselves or God, so just keep praying and trust that God will help you through these difficult times.

Brendan,

This is great advice. Would you mind telling us a little bit about the Teresian form of mental prayer? I have been practicing the presence of God, but I would love helps in this.

Totus tuus,
Lauren

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Sep 1 2005, 01:43 PM']Rachel,

I've had the same problems that you've had, even the mortal sin part.
I'm going to describe my prayer life, and then I'll try to give you a few suggestions.

This is how my prayer life works: I attend Mass whenever possible. I go to confession and spiritual direction, twice a month (if I fall into mortal sin- God help me- I go as soon as possible. I recall the presence of God frequently, and I pray the Rosary daily. Because I am discerning my vocation (which I believe is to the priesthood and the religious life) I meditate using the Teresian form of mental prayer, and I also pray the Divine Office. While I do make a weekly holy hour, I find that daily visits to the Blessed Sacrament are better, because of my schedule, etc.

What I would suggest is: weekly Mass and weekly adoration. Pray during the morning and evening- before school, before you go to sleep, etc. Pray the Rosary every day, and examine your conscience before you go to bed as well. I would also recommend, keeping yourself in the presence of God by remembering Him during the day- by aspirations, loving thoughts, etc. Read a short Scripture passage, and/or another spiritual book daily.

But don't force yourself to pray. God doesn't want you to suffer, and He doesn't command you spend hours in prayer. He doesn't mind the time, so much as the effort. If you've been experiencing aridity in prayer, and bad stuff's been happening lately God might be testing your fidelity, your love for Him, and your dedication to prayer. It is possible that
you could also be beginning the dark night of the soul which has been described and written on by Saint John of the Cross- if you wish I could refer you to a good and holy priest about this.

I hope this helps, Rachel, if you want to speak more, reply or send me an e-mail.

Your friend,
Brendan
[right][snapback]707526[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Saint Teresa was the Spanish Carmelite who reformed the order, and wrote very much on prayer. She wrote three major works, her Autobiography, the Way of Perfection, and the Interior Castle. The Way of Perfection and the Interior Castle are two of the greatest works on prayer ever written. Because of her teachings, she was declared the first woman doctor of the Church. There are three books on her method of mental prayer which I highly recommend: The Little Catechism of Prayer and Divine Intimacy, by Father Gabriel of Saint Mary Magdalen, O.C.D. and Conversation with Christ, by Father Peter Thomas Rohrbach, O.C.D. Meditiation is but one of the parts that make up teresian mental prayer. Contemplation is advanced mental prayer, but it's a gift given by God. This is the outline of teresian mental prayer: 1) Placing yourself in the presence of God. 2) If neccessary, reading a book or looking at a devotional picture. 3) Meditating on the subject. 4) The colloquy or prayer. But mental prayer, is not an end in itself. The really essential part is the colloquy. The aim of mental prayer is union with God. If anyone wishes, I could send them more on this, including one of the three books, or a more detailed guide, or another work on teresian prayer, and spirituality. Practicing the presence of God, is not only discussed by St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Jesus (Avila) the reformers of Carmel, but by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection, whose famous work: The Practice of the Presence of God has sold millions of copies. I would recommend this book. I also have a short paper on this, which I can send as an e-mail. It consists of recollection, always remembering God's presence, usually by aspirations and ejaculations, loving thoughts and remembrances of Our Lord, etc. Teresian prayer and spirituality is very interesting, and a great aid for sanctification, of ourselves, and our day. Hope this helps.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

im having this problem too i haven't been to confession in about three months. i used to pray the rosary daily, and i would pray every day. I don't do any of those things anymore. im loosing my relationship with christ. It gets worse every day. I don't even act very "christian" anymore. I just can't bring myself to go to confession or to pray.

Pax Christi,

sam

Rachel, I am having the same porblems right now. I havent been myself since graduation and I have been thinking about a religious vocaiton throughout my 4 yrs of HS!!!!!! Now since I dont have HS ne more, i feel lost, confused and not sure of naything. I even had the community picked out and verything and even requested to enter. But lately I have been skipping churhc just to sleep in, or to save on gas, and now I am tlaking to a guy who i met on the interent and met him for the first time today and now I'm gunna see him again tommorrow and meet his 3 yr old son!!!!!!!! So confused sums it up, if you dont know what God wants of you, go to religliouslife.com and go to test your call. It is a test that yopu take and it will tell you if your are right for the religious life or not!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be taking that test for the 3 or 4 th time!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless,
sixitna

Sam, Sixtina, Rachel:

Remember that God loves you. I like what Fr. Corapi says: "God's name is mercy."

Confession is needed. Sam you need to smell of elderberries it up, swallow your pride and go! I don't care if your traditional, I'm more traditional than you and I go every week or every two weeks! Sixtina, I wouldn't recommend seeing a man with a 3 year old but that's just me... :ohno: I'd suggest that you consecrate yourself to Our Lady, place all your concerns in Her Immaculate Heart, go to confession- if neccessary give me your local church's number, and I'll call the priest to make the confession arrangement, and get in touch with different communities again.

Jesus and His Mother love you!

If I were to give more simple suggestions, for Sam and Sixtina: pray- pray using your own words, or short prayers like: Jesus I trust in You, Jesus I love You, Mary help me, COME HOLY SPIRIT, give me the grace to go to confession, to amend my life, grant me prudence and trust help me to be better, help me to appreciate Our Lord's Sufferings more, etc. Listen to Our Lord's words in the Gospel, apply them to your life, follow them simply and sincerely.

I will pray for all of you, and I know a retired priest, he will offer Mass on September 3rd for Rachel, Sam, and Sixtina. Sam I know you'll love this because it'll be a Tridentine Mass and on the feast of St. Pius X.

Love and Prayers in Christ,
Brendan ^_^

Edited by brendan1104

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Wow Brendan Thanks a lot. your advice was very meaningful! I do need to go to confession (which i will try to do), My prayer life is suffering but hopefully i can build it back up. Thanks for the Mass and the Prayers.

God Bless,

sam

if you have more problems let me know. sorry to be harsh-sounding. but Jesus did too on occasion. glad to help.

your friend in Christ
brendan

It's just at first, when I started going to Mass and Adoration, it was new and i felt all into it....

now it's a habit.

Meh.