An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious

daugher-of-Mary

daugher-of-Mary

I found this on Nicole's blog, fides.blogspot.com, and wanted to post it here so you all can pray for the Sisters

[quote]Dear Nicole,
They do have a generator for basic needs. We all thank God that that area does have a future; NO will be long in recovering. God bless you!

Our Sister Camilla received the following this morning from Sister Edith of Covington: Sister Edith of Covington Carmel called at 5:15am on a borrowed cell phone that was getting through. She wanted us to know how they were doing. The Carmelite friars left for Marylake last night (Wed.). The Benedictine Abbey near by asked the Nuns to take in some of their overflow refugees, especially one of the sick Fathers. The Sisters themselves are sleeping in cupboards to accommodate the guests. The big problem they are facing now is food since nothing can be bought. If anyone is heading down in their direction, please load up some food for them. Highway 55 through Jackson MS is open and get onto I-12 at Hammond which will take you into Covington, but take the exit from I-12 at Covington Point. It's a small subdivision just below the Carmel. Both ends of River Road are blocked. The whole situation is horrendous. Gangs with heavy guns stop the medical trucks with supplies and took all the drugs. You cannot imagine what it's like.

Here in Arkansas hotels and many places have taken in refugees from LA and MS. Marylake and our Carmel have offered our places for Jackson Carmel, should they need to evacuate. Our law enforcement agencies and disaster relief vehicles have left to help LA and MS.

We will keep you updated on any further information we get. Prayers are still needed for these poor people and situations.

Sister Petra, 0CD[/quote]

also, from domlife.org

[quote]NEW ORLEANS [-8/31/05]-- According to Dominican sources, there are no reports of injuries among the Dominicans who reside in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. However, the status of eight friars at St. Anthony Priory is still unknown.Many of the 30 Dominican brothers who live in New Orleans have either been evacuated or are accounted for, including the provincial, Marty Gleason, OP and Chrys Finn, OP, who stayed at St. Dominic Priory and were rescued by boat.

There are still a number of Eucharistic Missionaries (EMD) sisters stranded in New Orleans and the Columbus Dominicans are working with the Kentucky Sisters to find a way to get them out. Although neither the EMDs nor St Mary's Dominicans have been able to assess their losses or damages, the prospects look disasterous in light of the worst natural disaster in US history.
[/quote]

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]How sad! Thank goodness most of them are alright. We should all send money to some of the religious who are suffering. [/quote]

That's a very good idea. Can you think of a way to do a phatmass fund drive for our religious?

Money will not do anything right now. The city is infested with looters, and store owners are no longer in their stores. The religious would not be able to buy anything unless they ordered it, and even if they did I don't think it would be possible for the deliveries to be made. But you could try it....

Is it all right if I e-mail this info to the people in our address book so they will know to bring food and clothing if they head that way?

Edited by Totus Tuus

If you do want to send money, you would probably want to do it through the American Red Cross. Here in Houston it is very important for them to get money because we are taking care of 300,000 refugees. That number is: 713-526-8300

I assume there are other good organizations, but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are with these kinds of donations.

Hmmm... Catholic Charities is helping out, too, right? Maybe we could send some money to them to help out. I just feel like I'm not doing as much as I can for the poor victims. Any ideas?

daugher-of-Mary

I looked up the Carmelite's zip on UPS, and it looks like they can still receive mail (although, who knows when it will get there!) My family is going to send them a care package because they are out of food. Here's what I have so far...tell me if you think of anything that might be helpful.
soup mixes
vacuum packed tuna fish
dried fruit/nuts/yogurt raisins
granola bars
instant oatmeal
candy bars
protein drink mixes
dried beans (with spices for soup)
some paper products

That list looks good to me. I'm not sure if they have hot water, so the instant oatmeal and dried beans may not work. Do you know if they have a generator? You might want to also send some feminine hygene products and some drugs (at least Tylenol, or something). I didn't realize they could still get mail... that's a good thing to know. We sent about fifty people the message you posted that was written to Nicole this morning, so that they'll know to bring the Carmelites and Dominicans food if they make it to their areas.

.... and I know this would be very expensive, but apparently New Orleans has NO fresh water. I don't know how it'd be possible, but I wonder if there's a way to send them water? At least, maybe there's a way to call up one of the water delivery companies like Ozarka and ask them if they're still delivering to the area. I don't konw :ohno: Or maybe we could send water purifier tablets? That might be a better idea.

The protein drink mixes are a great idea.

Right now my grandmother (who lives closer to the refugees... I'm out in the country) is feeding about thirty of the survivors from her house.

Edited by Totus Tuus

daugher-of-Mary

Wow, Totus Tuus! THANK YOU for sending that message around to so many people. The Sisters do have a generator, but I don't know about hot water (or water at all!) so I'll talk to Nicole about that. Water purifying tablets are a WONDERFUL idea. Probably the best way to get bottled water to NO is through your local Red Cross.

God bless your grandmother!!!

I was also wondering how the PCPAs and MFVAs in Birmingham,the Dominicans in Mobile, and the SsEWs in Irondale fared. Does anyone have updates from them?

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Sep 3 2005, 07:48 PM']Wow, Totus Tuus! THANK YOU for sending that message around to so many people. The Sisters do have a generator, but I don't know about hot water (or water at all!) so I'll talk to Nicole about that. Water purifying tablets are a WONDERFUL idea. Probably the best way to get bottled water to NO is through your local Red Cross.

God bless your grandmother!!!

I was also wondering how the PCPAs and MFVAs in Birmingham,the Dominicans in Mobile, and the SsEWs in Irondale fared. Does anyone have updates from them?
[right][snapback]710085[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm sure the Sister Servants are fine. EWTN wasn't off air, and the PCPAs from Ohio made it on for a live episode on Life on the Rock. The SsEWs are just a few minutes from the MFVAs and EWTN.

I'm on AIM with Sister Imelda, and they are doing fine! They seem to be suffering from the lack of electricity which is going on and off frequently, very little ability to use the phone lines, and I think they may be running low on food, but they were not affected as badly as most in their area. Sister requests our prayers, but says that at present they do not have any material needs for us to contribute to. And Karin and Sr. Marjorie are fine! Everyone seems to be holding up heroically. God bless!

Lauren

Edited by Totus Tuus