An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priesthood or marriage, marriage or priesthood

Paladin D

Priesthood or marriage, marriage or priesthood? I don't know what to do.

There is no "rush" to choose a vocation, I'm only 18, but I don't like being left in the dark. What if I spend a few years going one way, only to find out I should go the other? Plus, my hormones don't help in the decision making either.

Priesthood = No chance to use film, especially in cinema.
Marriage = Have more of a chance.

I feel that if I choose one or the other, I still won't be content. Maybe I should have the best of both worlds by getting married, and become a deacon. :lol:

This is also not healthy, since it's hindering my daily life, spending much of my time thinking about the future, instead of the present. That's why I would like an answer now, one that will hopefully be good for me.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

we need more priests

just follow God's will

i have no idea what he wants from me really. somtimes you won't know for a while.

Guest RandallStevens

I don't have an answer, but I think I know where you're coming from.

I'm 18 and the decision is constantly on my mind as well. Now that my diocese has found out, they have been pushing me a lot towards priesthood... Plus, I get anxious really easily and this sorta stuff, pondering the future, gives me ulcers.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 6 2005, 09:19 PM']Priesthood or marriage, marriage or priesthood?  I don't know what to do.

There is no "rush" to choose a vocation, I'm only 18, but I don't like being left in the dark.  What if I spend a few years going one way, only to find out I should go the other?  Plus, my hormones don't help in the decision making either.

I feel that if I choose one or the other, I still won't be content.  Maybe I should have the best of both worlds by getting married, and become a deacon. :lol:
This is also not healthy, since it's hindering my daily life, spending much of my time thinking about the future, instead of the present.  That's why I would like an answer now, one that will hopefully be good for me.
[right][snapback]713814[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Live in the present, thinking about the future makes your everyday life torture. There is no point looking towards the future if you don't know what it is. God wants you to live in this moment, here and now because that's where you will love Him most.

Pray pray pray, that's all I can tell you. God will let you know when the time is right.

P.S. Don't go by the feelings, they are decieving some of the time. So it doesn't matter what you feel, but what you think God wants you to do. (In reference to the part where you said "I feel that if I choose one or the other, I still won't be content.").

Hope this helps and you'll be in my prayers!

MC IMaGiNaZUN

i have to tell this to people all the time, marriage and priesthood aren't opposites. Instead they are parallels. They should contribute to one another.

As for working in film, check out the society of St. Paul. They were an order began in the last century by a man who wanted to minister the Gospel through the Mass Media. (they are related to the daughters of St. Paul, which do virtually the same thing)

SHALOM

Laudate_Dominum

I used to think I might be called to religious life.. I just pursued it until I found out. It did take a while though, but mainly because I wasn't perfect at pursuing religious life with an undivided heart. :)

What I think is important, in my experience at least, is being decisive and actually doing something. There can be a temptation to be in some kind of neutral state of "discernment" and never really getting anywhere. In my experience discernment comes through our decisions, not from a totally passive state. Follow the Spirit in the present moment and don't be afraid to commit to something.

And there is no guarantee that you'll ever become married or a priest. What is important is fidelity to God in the here and now, that should be the focus. Where that leads is a surprise, but it is ultimately Heaven anyway.

Laudate_Dominum

I guess Dudette basically said the same thing I said.. I posted without reading all the other posts.. I hate that. :)

yeah, i would agree. Don't just sit there and do nothing, that wont' work.

I would not plan on not using cinema if you are a priest. The fact is that i think we need people who can make good solid Christian videos and if you happen to be a priest and say could volunteer to make a movie to support vocations. I woudln't rule it out, though it might not seem probable.

I think the best way to "know" is to pray about it and give God time. Go to the Sacraments, Adoration, Daily Mass (as often as you can), maybe pray the Liturgy of the Hours, stuff like that. Eventually it is like God starts talking to Your heart and you just know.

God bless
jezic

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 6 2005, 07:19 PM']
This is also not healthy, since it's hindering my daily life, spending much of my time thinking about the future, instead of the present.  That's why I would like an answer now, one that will hopefully be good for me.
[/quote]

I read this and started laughing, NOT AT YOU. I am laughing at life and me. We are exactly at the same place life in our lives and I am 48.

I went to visit a community thinking all the questions I had would be answered. NOPE. What I came back with was more questions.

The biggest one now is "am I willing to get remarried?" And to me this is the scariest of all. Because it is not something I was thinking about. My greatest question was "which community do I join?"

I HAD ? no intention of getting remarried. But now God is asking me to take a second look. I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A SECOND LOOK. But how do you say no to God?

I am so confused my hair hurts. :idontknow:

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Sep 11 2005, 10:01 AM']But how do you say no to God? 

I am so confused my hair hurts. :idontknow:
[right][snapback]719114[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You don't.

maybe God is telling you to give marriage a second chance, becuase you need to be open to God's will (whether or not you are called to a religious vocation). Or maybe God wants to give you some kind of experience? I don't know, but if it is from God, i thinkyou should go with it opheritup.

SHALOM

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Sep 11 2005, 04:46 PM']maybe God is telling you to give marriage a second chance, becuase you need to be open to God's will (whether or not you are called to a religious vocation).  Or maybe God wants to give you some kind of experience?  I don't know, but if it is from God, i thinkyou should go with it opheritup.

SHALOM
[right][snapback]719601[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE LAST LINE.

But guys I have ONE LITTLE PROBLEM I want to 'go with it" but
:idontknow: which way I am going.

Kinda' smiling but not really.
PRAY FOR ME....

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 6 2005, 09:19 PM']Priesthood or marriage, marriage or priesthood?  I don't know what to do.

There is no "rush" to choose a vocation, I'm only 18, but I don't like being left in the dark.  What if I spend a few years going one way, only to find out I should go the other?  Plus, my hormones don't help in the decision making either.

I feel that if I choose one or the other, I still won't be content.  Maybe I should have the best of both worlds by getting married, and become a deacon. :lol:
[/quote]

Why do you feel you need to constantly think about it? Why not give it to Him and let it go.

How many times does He ask for us to give Him something and how often do we speak it with our lips but ignore it in our hearts?

Perhaps you have not been given an answer because you are asking the wrong questions. Are you just asking if you should be a priest or married, or have you asked yourself what you feel God wants for you.

Maybe the next time you are in prayer you might kneel down, remain silent and simply say, "speak Lord, your servant is listening." And listen, don't go anywhere, don't try to reason with Him, listen. And if He tells you something you don't want to hear, continue to listen, don't stop listening. God reveals things to us in stages, and something He may ask of you now may not make complete sense until later on, but God knows what is better for us than we think even we know.

Don't rush God, don't give Him a deadline, let Him work in your life, and be willing to be ready.

It is hard, it is frustrating, but, in the end, you will know what He desires of you, don't be afraid to let it become a reality.

However, I don't know why, but for some odd reason I get the sense that He is calling you to the priesthood but you are fighting Him. I could be wrong, but I just get that sense.

God Bless