An Old School Catholic Message Board

Longing

benedictaj

Grrrrr.

I'm not being able to concentrate at school. All I want to do is pray and go to Mass, and Adoration. All I want to read is the Bible, and about Saints. I have my hugely important end of school exams in about 11 weeks time....and I can't concentrate on school!!!!!!!!!!!

It's actually starting to bother me, I need to do well at school for both mine and my parents sake...

LOL......funny problem, I know...but I am utterly restless.....I just want to be praying....

It sounds so self centered, sorry...

My Spiritual Director and I were talking about that same issue just last week. He said that Satan will try to do everything he can to destroy our vocations. I used to always just look to the future and not give God the moment NOW. My SD said that that is one of Satan's tricks. He makes us so disinterested in our current circumstances, like school, so that we won't concentrate on giving God the Love He deserves each minute and giving Him the trust He deserves every day.

Just hang in there! God will let all things happen in His good time. Concentrate on staying in the moment with God and be a student now. Education can be a very holy thing- educating the mind that the Lord has given us. Use your studies as a way of glorifying God. Offer up your distress for the conversion of sinners.

srmarymichael

ditto

Work (school in your case right now) is a very important part of our lives. We have to try to do the best that we can in the task set before us, and glorify God by our actions.

Right now you have to be in school. So make the best of it. Be a good example, encourage others to follow the right path, see God in the ones who need a friend, etc. There's SO much good you can do at school!!! :topsy:

I like to look at school as a type of prayer. It's one that I don't always like to pray... but my search for wisdom in my studies indeed glorifies God, and I can mortify myself by offering the moments to God when I would rather not be studying. Since it's my vocation to be a student right [i]now[/i], I wouldn't be glorifying Him by carrying out the duties of a Religious instead of those of a student. Like ForHimAlone says, the best thing you can do is give Him the present. He'll lead you to Himself!

try praying in every action. Sanctify every action in love. If you have to do school work, love Jesus in doing it.

Offering up every little bit. Unite it with him on the cross.

Then you will begin the biggest school project of all :) emptying purgatory. ;)

MC IMaGiNaZUN

read the quote at the end of my reply...

Anyways. I would always have ten minutes (at least) every morning of silent prayer, and an additional ten or twenty minutes in the afternoon when i got home. This was my contemplative practice of prayer, practicing God's presence. Wordless and what not, on my part. It was really beneficial, sitting there and allowing God to just love me.

And this affected my whole life. It made me a more loving and caring person, it made me prioritize better. I did everything i did better. It wasn't just a matter of not feeling sad, or frustrated during the day, but being surrounded by joy. And this was true, even on days when i didn't feel God. I knew his grace was upon throughout the day, because i am not that kind.

Anyways, one semester i was at school from 7:30 am until 5 pm. I got home, made dinner, then went to some church function. I had time to pray at night or the afternoon, but i cut out my morning prayer. That is what killed me. I would encourage you to start praying first thing in the morning.

SHALOM

[quote]try the liturgy of the hours[/quote]

Yah! Great idea....how could I get hold of them? (is that the Breviary?) I have the misfortune of living in one of the most secular countries in the world....so the ONLY Catholic bookstore in my city, is run by non-Catholics!!! I guess I could ask someone involved with the Church.

Thanks all! (Especially y'all who know what I mean about not concentrating! I guess I should be like St Therese...afterall, she had longer to wait than I do!!)
ok, back to study, I have exams this week......

Edited by memtherose

AlterDominicus

[quote name='memtherose' date='Sep 7 2005, 02:17 AM']Grrrrr.

I'm not being able to concentrate at school. All I want to do is pray and go to Mass, and Adoration. All I want to read is the Bible, and about Saints. I have my hugely important end of school exams in about 11 weeks time....and I can't concentrate on school!!!!!!!!!!!

It's actually starting to bother me, I need to do well at school for both mine and my parents sake...

LOL......funny problem, I know...but I am utterly restless.....I just want to be praying....

It sounds so self centered, sorry...
[right][snapback]714136[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

carp, I know what you mean. I dont think I will be able to concentrate in school for three weeks and four days, due to the Eucharistic Congress. I'm praying its the opposite, I cant stop thinking about my Sisters that will be there and the ones I am going to meet that I've had contact for a while. I cant keep Mary our Mother, and God off my mind. I cant leave the rosary alone so I stick it in my pocket when I go to school. I am constantly wearing a cross, and have one in pocket as well. Its odd.

Above all, I think I'm like Saint Bernedette of Lourdes. Speaking of which, I cant leave any Saint alone. Haha (Gtg to school, see ya)

let_go_let_God

I know the feeling. I have just set aside time in my day just for prayer, but also make your schooling a prayer. Through times like this, you may want to pray, but besides formalized prayer, there are many ways to pray. One example, I had to shovel the snow out of my driveway. I didn't want to, but the more I offered it as a prayer, the better I felt and the quicker it went. Then I went to pray after it too.

God bless-
LGLG

Okay kinda the same problem, but i dont know about restless!!! i have been desiring to be in a religious community now. My daily life is not complete. St. therese keep spoping in my mind and how she entered by going to the Pope. Thats seems likea good idea to me but would my Bishop do anything??? HOw about the Mother general of the community???? I dont know what to do besides pray!!!!! Any suggestions???

No therese still young to enter, desired to enter and i think she went to the Pope or Bishop and requested that he get her in but it tooks months. She was at frist denied!!!! But she later did enter after receiveing a letter from the Bishop or pope!!!!!