An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theology of the Body

srmarymichael

daugher-of-Mary

A Benedictine friend of mine likes to compare reception of the Holy Eucharist to the union of man and wife..."the two becoming one flesh." Receiving Jesus is union in the most intimate way possible. He in us, we in Him. "As a bride cleaves to her husband, so you must cleave to Christ!"-Mother Teresa

I'm going to a prolife conference this weekend. I just got the timetable in the mail!!!! There is an hour talk on the theology of the body!!!!!! by Cardinal Lorenzo (or someone....a cardinal from Rome!!!! very rare for him to come out to NZ!!!)

So, I'll add my opinions after the talk!

Awesome -- you're getting the hang of it!

Thank you all for your input. [b]The Eucharist is a huge part of this topic.[/b] Oh, the love that Jesus has for us! How He wants to be united with us! :D: :blush:

AlterDominicus, thanks for your input too. Read about this in Ephesians 5:21-33. St. Paul tells the wives to be subject to their husbands. But read on: The husband must love the wife as he loves himself.

[b]"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her..."[/b] (Eph. 5:25)

How did Christ love the Church? He died on the Cross!!! This is very important to remember. We too must love God enough to be willing to die to ourselves in major ways! all for the love of God and His Church!

And memtherose, we'll look forward to what you learn at the conference. God bless!

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Sep 22 2005, 08:43 PM']This is part of the mystery!!!  I would have to ask a priest about this....

Have any of you ever read the "Song of Songs"?  This is a love relationship with God!!!  ;)  He loves us SO much!
[right][snapback]734661[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Song of Songs is awesome. I studied it last year in my Christian Doctrine class. It is beautiful. I love how it can be viewed as love between man and woman, but also love between God and man!!! This is probably my favorite quote- "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine." I think this is so beautiful and wonderful to contemplate in conjunction with the religious life!

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Sep 23 2005, 04:40 PM']Song of Songs is awesome.  I studied it last year in my Christian Doctrine class.  It is beautiful.  I love how it can be viewed as love between man and woman, but also love between God and man!!! This is probably my favorite quote- "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."  I think this is so beautiful and wonderful to contemplate in conjunction with the religious life!
[right][snapback]735605[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I totally agree! ;) :topsy:
I'm in love with God!!!

okay Sister Michael, you WIN!!!!! i decided i would post about thwta i know about the theology of the body. I told you in my email this morning that i know nothing about the theology of the bosy unles it was discuss in religion class which i dont seemt o remember it which knwing me i probally wastn paying attention in clas if it was discussed. But i can say i do know one thing, JPII wrote about about it!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

You wanted me to post, so there it was!!!!! LOL, how about that for craziness?!?!?!?!?

[b]The Theology of the Body will rock your world![/b]

I've never read the "Theology of the Body for Beginners", but it might be a good place for you to start.

I love this part: In Genesis, chapter one, when God was creating us in His image, He said "us"!!!

Then God said, "Let [i][b]us[/b][/i] make man in [i][b]our[/b][/i] image, after our likeness...."

Isn't that awesome? God is an "us"! and He made us in His image! So again, like I said earlier, God is not alone and He created us to not be alone.

So, as a Consecrated Religious, we should first be united with God (in prayer, in Holy Communion, in His Will, in love!), and then hopefully be united with our Community and the Catholic Church. But my favorite part is to think about how we are united to God in a Spousal relationship.

If a person really really really loves God, then that makes everything different.... especially if they know that God loves them back! :wacko: :D:

Edited by srmarymichael

AlterDominicus

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Sep 26 2005, 03:00 PM'][b]The Theology of the Body will rock your world![/b]

I've never read the "Theology of the Body for Beginners", but it might be a good place for you to start.

I love this part:  In Genesis, chapter one, when God was creating us in His image, He said "us"!!!

Then God said, "Let [i][b]us[/b][/i] make man in [i][b]our[/b][/i] image, after our likeness...."

Isn't that awesome?  God is an "us"!  and He made us in His image!  So again, like I said earlier, God is not alone and He created us to not be alone.

So, as a Consecrated Religious, we should first be united with God (in prayer, in Holy Communion, in His Will, in love!), and then hopefully be united with our Community and the Catholic Church.  But my favorite part is to think about how we are united to God in a Spousal relationship.

If a person really really really loves God, then that makes everything different....  especially if they know that God loves them back! :wacko:  :D:
[right][snapback]738109[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know this technically doesnt have anything to do with the Theology of the Body, but quote again: [quote]So, as a Consecrated Religious, we should first be united with God (in prayer, [b]in Holy Communion[/b], in His Will, in love!)[/quote] I CANT WAIT FOR HOLY COMMUNION this EASTER! (The first time in my entire life):tomato:

Okay, back on topic. I like the fact how you pointed out "If a person really really really loves God." Because it gives in a sort of "many point of views way" that there is a relationship any way by loving God. :idontknow: :scratchhead:

Heya folks!

I had two talks "intro to Theology of the Body" and "the Eucharist and the Theology of the Body." They were awesome, I think I might read the real thing now! It sounds like it is certainly relevant to any Christian...

Hehehe, I don't really know what to add.....

[quote name='memtherose' date='Sep 27 2005, 07:19 PM']Heya folks!

I had two talks "intro to Theology of the Body" and "the Eucharist and the Theology of the Body." They were awesome, I think I might read the real thing now! It sounds like it is certainly relevant to any Christian...

Hehehe, I don't really know what to add.....
[right][snapback]739410[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is there anything you can add that will help begin to explain the concept? Put it in your own words.

The book (Theology of the Body) itself is very difficult to understand (for most). I'd recommend reading or listening to tapes by Christopher West. It truly is lifechanging and opens our eyes to a whole bunch of insights for God, ourselves, and others!

Come, Holy Spirit!

AlterDominicus

Ladies and gentlemen, and wonderful Sister I give you a resource!:

[url="http://catholicpreaching.com/index.php?content=theology"]http://catholicpreaching.com/index.php?content=theology[/url]

A website by Father Roger Landry, a priest who is an awesome friend of my friend who is my Novice Mistress (currently) Sister Mary Catharine who is a Summit Nun and author of the book Amata Means Beloved, who is also a friend of a friend who is my friend who is a religious sister of the Nashville Dominicans who is teaching in Stillwater Minnesota, my home state who I will be seeing next Thursday. Namely, Sister Mary Angelica.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Sep 28 2005, 10:42 PM']Ladies and gentlemen, and wonderful Sister I give you a resource!:

[url="http://catholicpreaching.com/index.php?content=theology"]http://catholicpreaching.com/index.php?content=theology[/url]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^
[right][snapback]740559[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Okay, let's read and discuss what this means for those in the Consecrated Life!!!

Two people that are married and have an intimate relationship with each other should bear good fruit. Their love, with the grace of God, will bear fruits of joy, love, generosity, forgiveness, etc. Their love might also bear the fruit of a child!

My intimate relationship with God should bear [i]major[/i] spiritual fruit! For example, since God is my Spouse, I will not have my own children from my own body, but I will have many spiritual children (children in school, in hospitals, at retreats, etc., depending on the apostolate). True?

However, it's much deeper than that. I should also bear spiritual fruits of joy, peace, charity, obedience (with joy), generosity, humility, and the list goes on..... Galatians chapter 5 has a list of the Fruits of the Holy Spirit that we all long for! The deeper our relationship with God, the more these fruits will manifest themselves (in the vocation that God has called the person to).

One of my favorite things about this topic is how closely related I feel to married people. I have friends that are married that also love to talk about the Theology of the Body. They help me understand my vocation because their vocation is so closely tied to mine.

What do I mean by that? Sometimes they'll tell me about their trials, their having to trust God with their finances, or trust Him that He is guiding them in the right way. Or they'll tell me how they try to have enough time to pray but their children take their time instead. Wow. Sometimes it's a direct parallel with my life. I too am trusting God with big things. I can pray for them and support them since they don't have as much time as I do to pray.

I love the mysteries of God -- 2 seemingly opposite vocations that are not so opposite.