An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox Canon of Scripture

dspen2005

do the Orthodox include the Gospel of the Shepherd of Hermos into their Canon of Scripture -- i've heard that they do....... can someone enlighten me?

I don't think they do, because the Shepherd of Hermas wasn't included in the canon before the time of the schism between east and west. This site, [url="http://www.serfes.org/orthodox/scripturesinthechurch.htm"]http://www.serfes.org/orthodox/scripturesinthechurch.htm[/url], doesn't seem to indicate it as part of the Orthodox canon, either.

do the Orthodox have their own translation??? u know -- Prots have the KJV, Catholics have the DR, what do the orthodox have?

[quote name='thedude' date='Oct 4 2005, 04:17 PM']I can't believe that site concluded that the KJV was the best translation.
[right][snapback]745996[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, it's not the site from which I would want the fount of all my knowledge to flow. While I haven't read it over in great detail, I think the writer on the site is big-time in favor of reading scripture in Greek . . . which makes some sense, particularly if you are Greek Orthodox.

"Give me a word, any word, and I show you that the root of that word is Greek."
My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i know that the orthodox church translated jeromes latin vulgate back into greek.

and no the sheperd of hermas is not in there bible. b

• 9 years later...
do the Orthodox have their own translation??? u know -- Prots have the KJV, Catholics have the DR, what do the orthodox have?

​That depends, especially the Coptic orthodox are problematic in this respect, as they broke away from the rest of the Church in 451. As far as I know, Coptic was a language that used the Greek alphabet (with a few idiosyncratic characters) but is another language completely. The Coptic language was forbidden when the Muslims invaded, but it is still used in the liturgy. Maybe their translations are based on old Coptic versions instead of Greek, but I'm just guessing here.

Archaeology cat

​That depends, especially the Coptic orthodox are problematic in this respect, as they broke away from the rest of the Church in 451. As far as I know, Coptic was a language that used the Greek alphabet (with a few idiosyncratic characters) but is another language completely. The Coptic language was forbidden when the Muslims invaded, but it is still used in the liturgy. Maybe their translations are based on old Coptic versions instead of Greek, but I'm just guessing here.

​Yeah, Coptic is basically the Egyptian language written with Greek characters (plus some Demotic). I can't comment on the rest of this thread, sorry. 

Anastasia13

This may be the only forum I know where the administration actually digs up old threads. :like2:

• 4 years later...
On 10/4/2005 at 8:54 AM, dspen2005 said:

do the Orthodox include the Gospel of the Shepherd of Hermos into their Canon of Scripture -- i've heard that they do....... can someone enlighten me?

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, all the books of the New Testament are the same as the Catholic and Protestant ones, so they do not include the Shepherd of Hermas.

The only "Orthodox" church that comes to mind that has other books in its New Testament is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which accepts only the first 3 of the Roman Catholics' and Eastern Orthodox Ecumenical Councils. New Testament includes Ethiopian versions of apocryphal Greek Christian writings. This includes writings ascribed to Clement. But none of the Christian Churches that I know of include the Shepherd of Hermas in their Bibles today.