An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment monkey wrench?

Marieteresa

[color=gray]hey folkies,

Just when I have everything figured out a monkey wrench gets through into the mix! I have been discerning a vocation between the PCPA and Carmelites. Numerous times I have decided that Carmel was for me and even feel at peace about it. Then the PCPA's pop up again and then its utter confusion and uncertainity. I have talked to both communities, Mother at the Carmelite monastery feels that I should visit the PCPA's out in AZ and the PCPA's feel that I shouldnt enter any community without following ones heart. I am just wondering has anybody else gone through this? i don't know if its a sign from God maybe nudging me toward PCPA or its my own self.

In JMJ[/color]

I have, kind of. I was discerning with the Daughters of Saint Paul, and I was so torn between active and contemplative life. I know that's a different struggle from what you're going through. But once I realized how much the signs in my life pointed to Olam, and how much I felt at home there, the animocity kind of drifted away.

I experienced the same thing as Lauren (although between two active communites--one really active and one more contemplative). I thought I was called to the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George. I didn't even want to visit the Sister Servants, but the Holy Spirit and my friend were nudging me to visit. I figured that if I knew I was called to one community, then why should I spend the time and money to visit another community? After I visited the SsEWs the first time, I made this pro/con list in my mind of both orders (actually on the phone with my friend ALyssa because we were both discerning the same two communities), and I took it to prayer. When i visited the second time, I knew in my heart that I was called to Alabama, not Alton.

Go visit the PCPAs and go with an open heart. My heart wasn't open when I made the reservations for my first visit, but a week before I left, I went before the Blessed Sacrament in adoration, and I could tell my heart was being pulled toward the Sister Servants before I even met any of the Sisters.

God will lead you where He is calling you if you remain faithful!

Edited by jgirl

One yr o had my heart set on the Daughters of S.t Paul, then they requested for me not to discern with them, God way of saying, "NO"!!!! Then i met the Sisters of Nazareth, My heart said "YES", but then when i was on retreat last month, my mind or heart was telling me another, Sadly the FSGM sisters said "NO" too!!!! So its back to the Sisters of Nazareth, and so far everything is so much better, even though my applicaiton process isnt done or started, I know that this is where I'm meant to be!!!!! it jsut that feeling of comfortable you have with the Sisters and jsut staying with them and being with them and so on!!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:51 PM']One yr o had my heart set on the Daughters of S.t Paul, then they requested for me not to discern with them, God way of saying, "NO"!!!! Then i met the Sisters of Nazareth, My heart said "YES", but then when i was on retreat last month, my mind or heart was telling me another, Sadly the FSGM sisters said "NO" too!!!! So its back to the Sisters of Nazareth, and so far everything is so much better, even though my applicaiton process isnt done or started, I know that this is where I'm meant to be!!!!! it jsut that feeling of comfortable you have with the Sisters and jsut staying with them and being with them and so on!!!!!!
[right][snapback]746476[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

so things worked out with the srs. of Nazareth?

srmarymichael

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 4 2005, 09:16 PM'][color=gray]hey folkies,

Just when I have everything figured out a monkey wrench gets through into the mix!  I have been discerning a vocation between the PCPA and Carmelites.  Numerous times I have decided that Carmel was for me and even feel at peace about it.  Then the PCPA's pop up again and then its utter confusion and uncertainity.  I have talked to both communities, Mother at the Carmelite monastery feels that I should visit the PCPA's out in AZ and the PCPA's feel that I shouldnt enter any community without following ones heart.  I am just wondering has anybody else gone through this?  i don't know if its a sign from God maybe nudging me toward PCPA or its my own self.

In JMJ[/color]
[right][snapback]746271[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you have a Spiritual Director that you trust? When things get confusing, it helps to have a priest or someone like that to talk things through to discern what God is really saying to your heart.

The Daughters of St. Paul rock. My favorite chain bookstore in Toronto, Pauline Books & Media, is owned and operated by them. I always get a "God bless you" at the checkout.

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Oct 6 2005, 08:11 PM']Do you have a Spiritual Director that you trust?  When things get confusing, it helps to have a priest or someone like that to talk things through to discern what God is really saying to your heart.
[right][snapback]748843[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Unfortuntely, both my priest and SD have been extremely busy and I have been unable to meet with any of them. So I do not know what to do about that.

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 8 2005, 04:02 PM']Unfortuntely, both my priest and SD have been extremely busy and I have been unable to meet with any of them.  So I do not know what to do about that.
[right][snapback]750704[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is unfortunate, I hope some time will open up for you. Are there any other free Priests or wise lay people around? (Any other parishes around you?)

If it helps any, I was and still sort of am torn between diocesan and Dominican Priesthood. My inclinations went back and forth between the two, and from time to time still do.

Make sure you visit and pray with each group. Also do a daily self-examination; Read/Think on each order and find what interests you, what may be confusing, and what may turn you off. Then in light of that examine your own drives and ambitions and what kind of work you want.

I will keep your vocation in my intentions tonite, good luck!!!

Edited by Philosopher

[quote name='Philosopher' date='Oct 9 2005, 03:03 PM']That is unfortunate, I hope some time will open up for you. Are there any other free Priests or wise lay people around? (Any other parishes around you?)

If it helps any, I was and still sort of am torn between diocesan and Dominican Priesthood. My inclinations went back and forth between the two, and from time to time still do.

Make sure you visit and pray with each group. Also do a daily self-examination; Read/Think on each order and find what interests you, what may be confusing, and what may turn you off. Then in light of that examine your own drives and ambitions and what kind of work you want.

I will keep your vocation in my intentions tonite, good luck!!!
[right][snapback]751748[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, I am sure I am not the only one coming across this problem of finding holy priest. But I know of one priest whom seems very holy...I think I may give him a call tomorrow. One any note I was thinking about a conversation that a friend of mine had online.

There are so many places where one can become a good religious but only one where one could become a saint.

In JMJ

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 9 2005, 05:38 PM'][snip]
There are so many places where one can become a good religious but only one where one could become a saint.
[right][snapback]751862[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Very well said! :clapping:

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 9 2005, 06:38 PM']There are so many places where one can become a good religious but only one where one could become a saint.
[right][snapback]751862[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Mind if I quote you in the future? That is a brilliant line! :)

srmarymichael

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 9 2005, 06:38 PM']Thanks for the suggestion, I am sure I am not the only one coming across this problem of finding holy priest. 
[/quote]

My suggestion is to first relax. You don't have to make a decision today.

Secondly, God will tell you when He is ready to tell you. If you do not know for sure which direction to go, then it's probably not time yet. Keep praying, keep close to the Lord, every day trying to do His Will, and when the time is right, God will definitely reveal His Holy Will to you.

We're praying for you!

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Marie Teresa...
Are you familiar with [url="http://www.osa-west.org/blessedmariateresafasce.html"]Bl. Maria Theresa Fasce[/url]? She was an Augustinian Nun of this century, just thougt i should share that.

Anyways. One imporant thing, i notice a lot of people neglect is the very nature of decision. A lot of the time, people place so much primacy on God, to the point that God makes the decision for us. That somehow, we do not have a decision in the matter.

I don't believe that is the way God calls us. I believe he leads us, and gives us small signs here and there. But wants us to have the freedom to decide where we belong

Maybe the decision is difficult, and it would be nice for God to open up the heavens and what not, but chances are, God could be leaving that up to you.

Part of such a lofty decision, also involves the sacrifice. If it were not so difficult, it would probably loose much of the seriousness of it all.

And by the way, God loves you, and i am sure he would bless you in whatever decision you make.

SHALOM