An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment monkey wrench?

Marieteresa

AlterDominicus

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Oct 15 2005, 09:24 AM']They (the superiors) have to figure out how to pay the bills (especially when you're in vows).
[right][snapback]759290[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What would be the difference if you "werent" in vows? :think: ^_^

Edited by AlterDominicus

Philothea2000

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Oct 15 2005, 11:45 AM']What would be the difference if you "werent" in vows?  :think:  ^_^
[right][snapback]759482[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't know how it works with every community but I do know of one community where you are responsible for your own health expenses until first vows. If you choose to have health insurance it is up to you. Granted I am sure that they would try to help if you had to see the doctor and had absolutely no way of paying.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

It is nice to have total abandon to God... the only thing you have to watch out for, is that communities do try to look for candidates who have a balanced conception of well-being, which includes physical. It is nice to ask to be on health insurance, but for somebody who doesn't seem to care about their physical well-being, that makes the vocation questionable.

Just wanted to throw in that little bit of information.

SHALOM

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Oct 15 2005, 09:24 AM']I'm pretty sure most Communities do not have life insurance.  You'd have to ask other Sisters about that one....

Health insurance -- some have it and some don't.  I believe that many have it because of the huge health care costs.  If someone had surgery or something big, it would cost thousands of dollars.  (Insurance isn't cheap either.)

When you belong to a Community, the Community is responsible for everything that has to do with you that costs money.  So this is really not a worry for you.  They (the superiors) have to figure out how to pay the bills (especially when you're in vows).
[right][snapback]759290[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The community I am joining has health insurance, but they don't cover it until you are in vows. My parents or a benefactor would have to cover it the first three years (I have a couple thousand dollar set aside for health insurance). My friend recently entered religious life, and the postulants and novices also cover their own insurance if they have been under their parents', but since my friend was 24 and living on her own for two years, the community is covering hers.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to talk to Sr. Fidelis on Sunday and she gave me an update on how things are going there. We only talked briefly about the Hurricane headed my way and about their come and see in the spring. She did invite me out in January or I have the option of going the rest of the young ladies whom are going to the come and see. I just don't know....I mean I have formally applied to Carmel and am waiting for an answer. I mean is it wrong to wait till I have an answer before I say Iam not interested anymore? Any input would be helpful

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

All For Jesus

no...I don't think its not wrong to wait for an answer before saying no to other communities. In fact, it seems logical. Do they know you have applied to Carmel?