An Old School Catholic Message Board

But you're giving so much up!

zunshynn

It's funny how people always say that when they find out I want to be a nun. Funny, because I used to think so too. But I am so humbled by the prospect.... I mean, what a tremendous gift, what an honor... to be a bride of Christ... to live in the same house as he does... able to get up in the middle of the night and visit him. to be able to bring Christ in a unique way to the world.... And that he should allow us this honor in spite of our weaknesses and unworthiness.

I think nuns are the lucky ones! (Just kidding... if he's called you to join with him in the creation of life and marital love... then that's pretty sweet too. But y'all know what I mean!)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yeah, giving it all up for Christ, the one who gave up His life for us!

The more I think about it also, I find that there will be barely anytime for anything I would want to do on my own like reading or drawing or things like that...

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Oct 15 2005, 10:55 AM']It's funny how people always say that when they find out I want to be a nun. Funny, because I used to think so too. But I am so humbled by the prospect.... I mean, what a tremendous gift, what an honor... to be a bride of Christ... to live in the same house as he does... able to get up in the middle of the night and visit him. to be able to bring Christ in a unique way to the world.... And that he should allow us this honor in spite of our weaknesses and unworthiness.

I think nuns are the lucky ones! (Just kidding... if he's called you to join with him in the creation of life and marital love... then that's pretty sweet too. But y'all know what I mean!)
[right][snapback]758755[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yay! Yes, I can't WAIT to "give it all up." and get out of the rat race (despite only being in high school.) I LOVE how religious act as such huge witnesses to Christ, the Truth and the world to come!!!!!!!!!

:D: :D: :D: I just get soooooooo happy and thrilled! Seriously, I just sing, dance and laugh all day. I am just so ahppy all the time! Safe in the knowledge that no matter how much I love Him, its only a shadow compared to His Love for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love talking about it too!!!

I think its MORE than worth giving up! I love this quote from Mother Mary Francis, a Poor Clare abbess:
"A vocation is so mysterious a gift, a thing so locked in the inner court of the soul, where alone God speaks His wishes, that no one can properly describe or explain it. What can be said is that a true vocation is a call so compelling that a soul must loosen its hold on the dearest and even the holiest of its loves to rise up and follow the summons"

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='memtherose' date='Oct 14 2005, 06:35 PM']I think its MORE than worth giving up! I love this quote from Mother Mary Francis, a Poor Clare abbess:
"A vocation is so mysterious a gift, a thing so locked in the inner court of the soul, where alone God speaks His wishes, that no one can properly describe or explain it.  What can be said is that a true vocation is a call so compelling that a soul must loosen its hold on the dearest and even the holiest of its loves to rise up and follow the summons"
[right][snapback]758883[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Is that from one of her books?

I think its from one of her articles on the Poor Clare life. I post it on my xanga all the time, lol. Yeah, I can't remember, but I really like it!

Now, it doesn't even seem as if I'm "giving up" anything b/c what (or Who!) I'm gaining is so much more than anything I can give back to Him. Does anyone else feel this way?

srmarymichael

[quote name='msahara' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:20 PM']Now, it doesn't even seem as if I'm "giving up" anything b/c what (or Who!) I'm gaining is so much more than anything I can give back to Him.  Does anyone else feel this way?
[right][snapback]759014[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What am I giving up?

[The way I see it, every life has its crosses. Parents have to give up a lot too. We all have things here and there that aren't comfortable because we're human.]

But truly what does a Religious "give up"? We have the best Spouse in the world, we have a wonderful family to love and that loves us, we have food and clothing, and best of all, we have the ability to follow what our hearts are longing for -- the vocation, the calling, the love! Most Religious have the Blessed Sacrament in their house! We have private time with God scheduled into our days!

What are we giving up? We are instead clinging to Love Himself.

srmarymichael

This is soooo hard to put into words.

If we are where God wants us to be....if we are striving to be obedient and to live as God wants us to live....then we will have a joy and a happiness even in the midst of trials (in all vocations).

So the giving up is really not the issue. We are basking in God's love and the rest is not so important any more!

:topsy:

AlterDominicus

Actually this is going to sound weird, but I look forward to giving everything up, I honestly do, seriously, veritas. Why? Because - I have no idea why! Hahaha. :blowkiss: :flowers:

Though, my guitar is going to be making a sacrifice to. Giving up everything, and a new nam change, when I enter the convent its going everywhere with me, "she" :yes: will be named, "Sister Cecilia" Saint Cecilia as many of us know was the patron of music, I thought it a suitable name for a guitar. :guitar:

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='msahara' date='Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM']Now, it doesn't even seem as if I'm "giving up" anything b/c what (or Who!) I'm gaining is so much more than anything I can give back to Him. Does anyone else feel this way?[right][snapback]758928[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

giving up. I think a lot of nuns i know, forgot they give up so much, once they found out what jesus had in store for them.

SHALOM

Edited by MC IMaGiNaZUN

srmarymichael

[quote name='the_rev' date='Oct 15 2005, 11:22 PM']when I tell people I want to be a priest, they tell me why dont you molest a boy now and get over with it now.
[right][snapback]759848[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's too bad. They obviously have no idea what it's all about!

In times like that, think about how you are being treated like Jesus and rejoice!

If you're going to be a priest, I am SO happy for you! May God give you abundant graces for holiness, peace, love, and joy! May you lead many to Christ!