An Old School Catholic Message Board

rosaries

Sixtina87

I was kinda curious on this subject. i was taught by the Carmelties of the Divine Heart of Jesus, on how to make a rosary!!!!! i was thinking about making a few a selling then at the Evengalization Congress next weekend. If you were a buyer and wanted a rosary and saw some amde out of glass beads and some out of plastic beads, which would you buy and for how much?????? I was thinking the plastic beads for $3 each and the glass for $10 or $15 each!!!!!! What do you think??? Jsut curious!!!

AlterDominicus

I'm a rosary fan, three of mine (non-plastic) broke, two broke at the crosses, one broke at the beads. So right now I am being extremely carefully with me other two I have. I sort of ditched the rosary, and say it without it, with fear of those two breaking eventually.

I think its a great idea! I'd buy if I had $$$$$$

LOL, so you would say the plastic would be better??? I assume!!!! it hink the glass beads with be abit heavy but unles I was carefulon buying the glass beads!!!!! But how much would you say would be the best price that i stated in my opening post!?!?!?!?

I will pray for your sucess but no I would not buy one from you or from anyone as a matter of fact. Nothing personal. I have a friend who owns a Catholic gift shop and I don't buy from her either.

I have found a place on the Internet that I am satisfied with.
She has made 3 rosaries for me and one chaplet. The quality is such that the rosaries will probably last longer than me.
If I ever decide on another rosary I will be going to her.

Edited by ofpheritup

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I prefer rosaries with dirty rope and wooden beads. They appear very durable, and prove likewise. I even have one without beads, you count knots instead, it is cool.

I think the glass ones should be more than ten bucks. But i think the plastic ones may be less, i don't know, try that price and see how you sell, and if you do it again, you might consider changning the price.

SHALOM

AlterDominicus

It was hard to tell, but I would prefer wooden myself, I noticed while at the Eucharistic Congress a question came up about the rosary hanging from the Sister's habit, a sister who I was personally talking to, who I havent seen since like last year, and it was so hard to tell if it was wooden or glass. Haha, it looked glass, but I doubt it.

thanks for everyones insights, i'm about to leave to go get more beads to make them!!!!!!!! I have been praticing very hard to make all the notes the same lenght and so forth!!!!!!!!! i get it alot better in the 2nd rosary i make with the tiny beads!!!!!!!!! that was fun and interesting!!!!!!!!1

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Oct 27 2005, 05:17 PM']thanks for everyones insights, i'm about to leave to go get more beads to make them!!!!!!!! I have been praticing very hard to make all the notes the same lenght and so forth!!!!!!!!! i get it alot better in the 2nd rosary i make with the tiny beads!!!!!!!!! that was fun and interesting!!!!!!!!1
[right][snapback]772300[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You may want to consider ordering some of your beads from Our Lady's Rosary Makers in Louisville KY. They are beautiful and come at a decent price.

What's a note?

Edited by ofpheritup

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Oct 27 2005, 06:23 PM']I didnt know u knew how to make the glass bead ones.
[right][snapback]772310[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

its jsut like useing the plastic ones but useing glass instead!!!!!!!! but I'ma fraid it might make the rosary heavier!!!!!!!!!!!1 Wnat do you think rachel????

cmotherofpirl

They are not that much heavier. The important thing is that they don't break. Nothing is more annoying than trying to re-string your favorite beads after you rolled over on them and they broke in the night. :annoyed:

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Oct 27 2005, 05:25 PM']its jsut like useing the plastic ones but useing glass instead!!!!!!!! but I'ma fraid it might make the rosary heavier!!!!!!!!!!!1 Wnat do you think rachel????
[right][snapback]772316[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not Rachel but yes they would definitely make the rosary heavier. The elderly generally when they go shopping for rosaries do not buy ones made out of glass for that reason.

You may want to stick to plastic beads, there are beautiful ones out there you just have to be willing to look for them.

There are literally hundreds of places on the Internet you can find supplies at. Just put in a search for "rosary supplies" "rosary making supplies" "rosary making" etc. If you are buying your supplies locally unless you have a really great craft shop you are probably spending too much money.

Edited by ofpheritup

Not sure if you have a Hobby Lobby, but they have a pretty good bead aisle. I've only purchased beads once, but they seemed reasonable. If you want to make them on a bigger scale, you should probably buy them wholesale on the internet...it will be way cheaper. If you just want to make them as gifts, hobby lobby might be the way to go (there's one in Normal where they have the Evangelization Conference)