An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Mary have sinned?

scardella

Could Mary have sinned?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course, but she chose not to

(Free will,  but that's another subject )

Edited by little2add

1 hour ago, little2add said:

Of course, but she chose not to

(Free will,  but that's another subject )

Donny, you are out of your element.

I think the issue here is the false understanding of free will requiring or somehow implying ability to sin. The ability to sin is a defect of free will, not a constitutive element. The first sin introduced the 'ability' to sin, which actually decreased and harmed our free will. To be able to sin is to be threatened by slavery. Mary's preservation from sin is truer freedom than our own.

Mary's fiat was, I hasten to remind this thread, possible through grace. And only grace. Her fiat through grace in turn freed her in a irrevocable way from the bondage of sin. And the grace required for her fiat was likewise predestined by God's active Will.

7 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

The first sin introduced the 'ability' to sin

Are you serious? You claim to have some kind of elevated understanding, but you seemed to lack a basic grasp of causality.

11 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Donny, you are out of your element.

Well aren't you special 

A little pompous but   Special 

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Are you serious? You claim to have some kind of elevated understanding, but you seemed to lack a basic grasp of causality.

a61.jpg

11 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

I think the issue here is the false understanding of free will requiring or somehow implying ability to sin. The ability to sin is a defect of free will, not a constitutive element. The first sin introduced the 'ability' to sin, which actually decreased and harmed our free will. To be able to sin is to be threatened by slavery. Mary's preservation from sin is truer freedom than our own.

Mary's fiat was, I hasten to remind this thread, possible through grace. And only grace. Her fiat through grace in turn freed her in a irrevocable way from the bondage of sin. And the grace required for her fiat was likewise predestined by God's active Will.

Logically, the ability to sin had to exist before the first sin, otherwise there would not have been the First Sin (Neither Adam's or Lucifer's).   I think that is what was being pointed out. 

5 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Logically, the ability to sin had to exist before the first sin, otherwise there would not have been the First Sin (Neither Adam's or Lucifer's).   I think that is what was being pointed out. 

I phrased it a bit clumsily (at the dinner table for a Christmas dinner), but I stand behind the concept I was getting at. Which is essentially the introduction of concupiscence. Adam and Eve's choice to sin was fully conscious, fully willful, and made with perfect understanding. That is why the rebellion of the angels was irrevocable, and that is why Adam's sin introduced such a powerful break between humanity and the divine. Mary's fiat is in every respect the opposing answer to Adam's sin. In Adam's sin the unspoiled, justified man was debased and made lowly. In Mary's fiat, broken mankind was raised to the divine through the merits of Christ and - through grace - Mary's perfect cooperation.

So you are saying Adam and Eve and Lucifer chose to sin with full knowledge of the consequences of their acts?

6 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

So you are saying Adam and Eve and Lucifer chose to sin with full knowledge of the consequences of their acts?

I was not thinking about consequences. I will reserve judgement for now. But full knowledge of the nature and gravity of their acts, absolutely. And for a being from their perspective, the consequences would rightfully be seen as secondary anyway. The true horror of Satan's non serviam and Adam's eating of the fruit was their refusal to honour God according to His glory.

17 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

I do not know. I am sure @Cam42 can address that. :)

Lol.  Exactly the root of the quetstion if Mary had ability to sin and what free will means.  Whether Mary sinned or not or was protected from sin for a period of time or if it was a unique reward for willful assent has to be understood in context.  

Edited by Anomaly

22 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Lol.  Exactly the root of the quetstion if Mary had ability to sin and what free will means.  Whether Mary sinned or not or was protected from sin for a period of time or if it was a unique reward for willful assent has to be understood in context.  

Of course it was a reward - but it was a reward for a fiat that, in an important sense, occurs outside of time, and also due to gratuitous grace. Grace that could only have been offered to the Mother of God. It is not like we are talking about some random person unrelated to our salvation history - Mary's immaculacy could not have been offered to anybody but the Mother of God.