An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Mary have sinned?

scardella

Could Mary have sinned?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1266716151' post='2060167']
Apo what you quoted had two sentences with each sentence containing two juxtaposed possibilities. :wacko: Are you stating that you feel it is part of Tradition that she died due to inheriting mortality from the ancestral sin?
[/quote]
Yes, that is my take on it.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 February 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1266716302' post='2060170']
Yes, that is my take on it.
[/quote]

Thank you. I'll brew on that for a while and hopefully my head doesn't explode like that guy on Scanners.

Btw, you really are a boon to the phorum.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1266716692' post='2060171']
Btw, you really are a boon to the phorum.
[/quote]
Thank you for your kind remark . . . although I am sure that there are a few people here who would disagree with you. :D

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1266715987' post='2060163']
Haha. I'm deferring the Trinity until, by the grace of God, I behold the Beatific Vision and then I have eternity to grow in knowledge and love. FOR NOW, I'm just trying to figure out WHY Mary died. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

did Mary die?
what of this holy day of obligation, 15 August: the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary"]Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary[/url] all about then?

[quote name='apparently' date='20 February 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1266717257' post='2060178']
did Mary die?
what of this holy day of obligation, 15 August: the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary"]Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary[/url] all about then?
[/quote]

I'm reasonably sure this was covered in the preceding few pages of this thread. Mary died and the dogmatic definition of the Assumption doesn't contradict this. Her death has never been officially codified in the Western Church and the concept of her bodily Assumption without death is are more recent theological view than the more ancient tradition of the Eastern Orthodox that she lay dead and incorrupt for three days before her Assumption.

Edited by Veridicus

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1266717458' post='2060182']
. . . than the more ancient tradition of the Eastern Orthodox [b]and Eastern Catholics[/b] that she lay dead and incorrupt for three days before her Assumption.
[/quote]

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1266717458' post='2060182']
Her death has never been officially codified in the Western Church and the concept of her bodily Assumption without death is are more recent theological view than the more ancient tradition of the Eastern Orthodox that she lay dead and incorrupt for three days before her Assumption.
[/quote]

Pius XII agrees multiple times with statements that our Lady did die (see [i]Munificentissimus Deus[/i], 17, 21, 35). While our Lady's death was not infallibly defined, it was certainly taught. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 February 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1266716857' post='2060175']
. . . than the more ancient tradition of the Eastern Orthodox [b]and Eastern Catholics[/b] that she lay dead and incorrupt for three days before her Assumption.
[/quote]
Them too of course.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 February 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1266718536' post='2060193']
Pius XII agrees multiple times with statements that our Lady did die (see [i]Munificentissimus Deus[/i], 17, 21, 35). While our Lady's death was not infallibly defined, it was certainly taught. :)
[/quote]

I stand corrected.

:sadder:

Edited by Veridicus

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 February 2010 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1266718536' post='2060193']
[/quote]

In this dogmatic statement, the phrase "having completed the course of her earthly life", leaves open the question of whether the Virgin Mary died before her assumption or whether she was assumed before death; both possibilities are allowed.

[quote name='apparently' date='20 February 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1266718719' post='2060196']
In this dogmatic statement, the phrase "having completed the course of her earthly life", leaves open the question of whether the Virgin Mary died before her assumption or whether she was assumed before death; both possibilities are allowed.
[/quote]

I agree. I do not think in the West that it is a matter of Faith to have to believe one way or the other. I tend to side with the more ancient tradition of the Eastern Orthodox [b]AND EASTERN CATHOLICS[/b] on this one. Rexi's point is that it has been stated implicitly (and perhaps explicitly) by people in authority that Mary died and thus her death has been codified in some sense but not infallibly defined.

Edited by Veridicus

[quote name='apparently' date='20 February 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1266718719' post='2060196']
[/quote]

While only one sentence of the document is an infallible dogmatic definition, the rest of the teachings found therein are still binding upon the faithful.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote]
"Venerable to us, O Lord, is the festivity of this day on which the holy Mother of God suffered temporal death, but still could not be kept down by the bonds of death, who has begotten your Son our Lord incarnate from herself."
[/quote]

As I always say, "If it's good enough for Adrian I, it's good enough for me!"

Edited by Veridicus

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1266719740' post='2060209']
As I always say, "If it's good enough for Adrian I, it's good enough for me!"
[/quote]

Good enough for him, as well as for John Damascene, Francis de Sales, and Alphonsus de Liguori. :)

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 February 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1266719927' post='2060213']
Good enough for him, as well as for John Damascene, Francis de Sales, and Alphonsus de Liguori. :)
[/quote]

Yeah they're okay too. :smokey:

My wife says she can't remember if Fulton Sheen said anything substantial about this in his quintessential book on Mary, "The World's First Love". This is unfortunate as I would love to know what he thought about all of this. I bet his opinion is somewheres...