An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans

shortnun

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:14 PM']YAY for the Nashville Dominicans indeed. I have a friend from high school who went to Vandy for undergrad (and is getting his MA there now). And when I asked him if he knew the sisters, he had NO CLUE what I was talking about. But then again, we're not always attuned to those sorts of things...... like you wouldn't notice a fully habited woman (especially in the Bible belt).
[right][snapback]812703[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

Yeah I'm smack in the middle of the Bible belt. The Catholic community is pretty stong here, too...not really too much at Vanderbilt, but i'm trying to change that...

My RCIA sponser joined the Dominicans in Nashville, Sr. Rosaria. She loves it. The only thing I really know about them is that they are extremely active. They play a lot of sports (ie soccer, volleyball, swimming). I met a few of them who live in the area, at one of their schools. THey were all super nice and very outgoing, very good hostesses. They kept offering me food :) I think they are pretty ivolved inthe community, as they are less private than some of the others. They are teachers, so they are all very educated (Sr. Rosaria is getting her masters).

I can give you her email/snail mail if you want, just PM me.

Smile_Jesus_loves_you

this really has nothing to do with what you asked but, just to say, my dad has said if i were to become a nun i should go there, why? no idea.

I think maybe it's just more vocations are being called to that area.

Ora et Labora

Thanks for posting this thread!! I have been wanting to ask:

Is teaching ALL that the dominicans in Nashville do?? If you join, do you have to teach??

I am interested in that convent and hope to visit it soon! :D:

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:45 PM']Thanks for posting this thread!! I have been wanting to ask:

Is teaching ALL that the dominicans in Nashville do?? If you join, do you have to teach??

I am interested in that convent and hope to visit it soon! :D:
[right][snapback]827316[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
In terms of their apostolate.... [url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Apostolate/Bringing_Christ_to_the_World/index.htm"]yes, it's education.[/url] Women who enter and feel called to teach, are [url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Vocation/Questions_and_Answers/index.htm#5.%20What%20if%20I%20am%20not%20a%20teacher"]educated to be teachers[/url]. But as far as I know, it never says you'll HAVE to teach.

I hope to visit in May....

Ora et Labora

Thats when I might be visiting!! Awesome! (Im not old enough to visit for 5 days though...)

I wouldnt mind teaching younger children. :) In fact, I love children!

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:11 PM']In terms of their apostolate.... [url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Apostolate/Bringing_Christ_to_the_World/index.htm"]yes, it's education.[/url] Women who enter and feel called to teach, are [url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Vocation/Questions_and_Answers/index.htm#5.%20What%20if%20I%20am%20not%20a%20teacher"]educated to be teachers[/url]. But as far as I know, it never says you'll HAVE to teach.

I hope to visit in May....
[right][snapback]827348[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
They are trained as teachers. I know that they do have one sister who went to med school, so that she could care for the infirmary sisters (she had been a science teacher before med school). Then they have the Sisters who do the business end of things, too. I probably wouldn't join Nashville if I didn't want to teach, though. It's probably a good bet that you'd be teaching.

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 15 2005, 04:22 PM']*note to self- call Sr. Mary Emily tomorrow!*
[right][snapback]827214[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
She's lovely.... and seems to have a very quiet voice. (I'm a little loud :P: )

Only took me a week to call her back, but praise Jesus it happened!