An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration

be_thou_my_vision

be_thou_my_vision

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let everyone know that there is another monastery of Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration in Portsmouth Ohio, and they are building a new monastery. The website is www.stjosephmonastery.com. I may visit them in the summer of 2007! Have fun with the website!
Jenny

Jenny,

I'm glad you posted their web site. Be sure and let us know if you visit.

Here some more interesting information about them.

[url="http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/portsmouth.htm"]CLICK HERE[/url]

Does anybody know why my browser can't open their website? It wants to download some kind of "application stream" and doesn't load a normal web page.

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:15 PM']Jenny,

I'm glad you posted their web site.  Be sure and let us know if you visit.

Here some more interesting information about them.

[url="http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/portsmouth.htm"]CLICK HERE[/url]
[right][snapback]855408[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think it is part of my discernment to visit these sisters. I've been thinking and praying about this order since I started discerning 4 years ago. I wanted originally to go this spring break, but that is during their 8-day annual retreat, so I can't go. I can't go during the summer because of summer school and I am getting certified for a nurse's assistant for the rest of the summer. So I see that God doesn't want me to go yet, so Sister Imelda Marie said that we coud schedule a retreat during summertime of 2007. I don't know how long I would stay or where, but I feel like I need to do this.
It hurts sometimes because I love my boyfriend. I can see us getting married, and I pray about that all the time. But I still don't know God's will for me, so it's just a waiting and praying game now, which I'm fine with. So if you could all pray for me, that would help me so much!
Jenny

[quote name='TheresaMF' date='Jan 13 2006, 07:50 PM']Does anybody know why my browser can't open their website?  It wants to download some kind of "application stream" and doesn't load a normal web page.
[right][snapback]855544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think they may have loaded some sort of software of the sisters singing. I too used to be able to open their site, but no longer. (Not in Firefox, only Explorer.) Sooo I don't know what the deal is, or how to fix it. :idontknow:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' date='Jan 13 2006, 07:55 PM']I think it is part of my discernment to visit these sisters. I've been thinking and praying about this order since I started discerning 4 years ago. I wanted originally to go this spring break, but that is during their 8-day annual retreat, so I can't go. I can't go during the summer because of summer school and I am getting certified for a nurse's assistant for the rest of the summer. So I see that God doesn't want me to go yet, so Sister Imelda Marie said that we coud schedule a retreat during summertime of 2007. I don't know how long I would stay or where, but I feel like I need to do this.
It hurts sometimes because I love my boyfriend. I can see us getting married, and I pray about that all the time. But I still don't know God's will for me, so it's just a waiting and praying game now, which I'm fine with. So if you could all pray for me, that would help me so much!
Jenny
[right][snapback]855619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You certainly do have your head screwed on tightly (that's a compliment, if you're wondering). As long as you keep doing what you're doing God will eventually let you know what to do. Dating and discerning at the same time must be difficult. Good Luck. You'll be in my prayers.

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Jan 15 2006, 02:28 PM']You certainly do have your head screwed on tightly (that's a compliment, if you're wondering).  As long as you keep doing what you're doing God will eventually let you know what to do.  Dating and discerning at the same time must be difficult.  Good Luck.  You'll be in my prayers.
[right][snapback]856821[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thanks OLAM Dad. I talked with my parents actually last night about EVERYTHING and we came to the conclusion that God is in the process of opening and closing doors. I don't need to figure anything out, just be led (sp?). So that helped a lot. Thank you for your prayers; you will be in mine.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' date='Jan 13 2006, 06:55 PM']I think it is part of my discernment to visit these sisters. I've been thinking and praying about this order since I started discerning 4 years ago. I wanted originally to go this spring break, but that is during their 8-day annual retreat, so I can't go. I can't go during the summer because of summer school and I am getting certified for a nurse's assistant for the rest of the summer. So I see that God doesn't want me to go yet, so Sister Imelda Marie said that we coud schedule a retreat during summertime of 2007. I don't know how long I would stay or where, but I feel like I need to do this.
Jenny
[right][snapback]855619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi, I am a new phatmass reader. It was actually a link when I googled 'Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration'. Praise be Jesus Christ! It was edifying to read of so many women and men who are discerning the call to the priesthood and the religious life.

I am not sure what to say, as this is my first post, but I wanted to mention to you, Jenny, that I will see you next summer! I am entering the PCPA in Portsmouth (www.stjosephmonastery.com) on Divine Mercy Sunday. I am currently a 35 year old nurse. I just sold my house, am currently living in a rental house until the end of March when I will be moving in with a friend for a couple of weeks, until I get on the plane April 22. I will be spending the night in the guest room, and entering after Holy Mass on Sunday.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. I visited with the sisters here after their Welcome Mass in June, then after two visits, we all believed that I 'fit in' with them and their prayer life, but since they don't have a cloister yet, they cannot accept applicants. The Portsmouth community was then recommended to me, and I was encouraged to communicate with them. After two letters I was invited for a visit, which I did in November. The visit was unbelievable. I was filled with confirmation and peace. After being with them for 4 days (mostly in the cloister), I was invited to apply for entrance. While I was full of joy, I always thought I was called to be a Carmelite, so imagine my stunned realization that I was called there!!

I had already booked a plane ticket to visit a cloistered Carmelite monastery in January, as I'd always had an attraction to Carmelite life and asked if I should still visit them. Sr Imelda Marie said that it would be a good idea, as when my first trials come, I won't be tempted to say, 'If only I'd visited/entered the Carmeliites".

The prayer life of the sisters in OH (and by association, AL and AZ) resonated with me. And Portsmouth has a lot of Carmelite devotions. In fact, Mother Delores Marie stated, "Carmelite and PCPA charism is not all that different".

After returning from Carmel, realizing that I was definitely not called there, whether it was to Carmel directly or specifically to that Carmel, I wasn't sure, but I DID know that I felt such a peace from visiting Portsmouth. . .I prayed about it, spoke with my spiritual director, and decided to apply. Once I made that decision, everything felt 'right'. And I haven't looked back! Everything from that point on has done nothing but confirm where I am called to spend the rest of my life, as His spouse.

Just last week after Mass, a couple came up to me and asked who I was and if I was the one who was entering the PCPA. After I confirmed that was me, I was told their daughter is currently at OLAM in AL, also discerning a vocation. They are so excited for her!

Keep praying, Jenny. God is so good, and will give you your heart's desire. I will pray for you as well.

Please pray for me, too that I may persevere in my vocation.

Your sister in Christ,

Denise

+JMJ

Hey Denise,

Welcome to PM! Wow, Its so great that you made it to PM! I am discerning the PCPA's/Carmelites as well. I am currently talking to the AZ sisters and Sr. Fidelis mentioned you....what a small world indeed. I was suppose to go out to AZ this past summer but due to the wildfires I was unable to go and in Dec I was visiting the PCPA's at Hanceville. My question is....How did you know Carmel wasnt for you? I am asking this as a person in a similar situation....Its pretty interesting that quite a few people whom where discerning PCPA's where discerning the Carmelites as well. Prayers for you on your vocation journey.

In JMJ

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Feb 7 2006, 02:30 PM']Hey Denise,

Welcome to PM!  Wow, Its so great that you made it to PM!  I am discerning the PCPA's/Carmelites as well.  I am currently talking to the AZ sisters and Sr. Fidelis mentioned you....what a small world indeed.  I was suppose to go out to AZ this past summer but due to the wildfires I was unable to go and in Dec I was visiting the PCPA's at Hanceville.  My question is....How did you know Carmel wasnt for you?  I am asking this as a person in a similar situation....Its pretty interesting that quite a few people whom where discerning PCPA's where discerning the Carmelites as well.  Prayers for you on your vocation journey.
In JMJ
[right][snapback]879219[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi (do friends call you Marie Teresa?),

Thank you for the welcome. You know what's really funny? There's a girl who I know on a vocations list on yahoo, who was in San Francisco during the EWTN 25th anniversary celebration. She said that she mentioned to a sister that she 'knew' someone who was entering Portsmouth. The other sisters that were near her, apparently, all turned to this woman and asked if they knew me and if they knew when I was entering because a date hadn't been set yet! :blush:

I have always believed, as has my spiritual director and others in religious life that I've spoken to. . . .
that if you are called to religious life, you are also called to a specific order, and more specifically, to a specific community. I began my discernment of religious life many years ago with the reading of the biography of St Teresa of Avila. Since then, I've read Therese of Lisieux, Teresa of the Andes, Teresa Benedicta of the Cross and one of my personal favorites, Mary Magdalene de Pazzi. They all felt like home to me. I never read much of the Franciscan saints, nor did I feel called to. . .I was on a Carmelite bent, with their union with God, their combination of monasticism and eremitical life (many Carmels still have hermit days where you are able to be more alone with the Alone). So, I never looked anywhere else!

It was God's Providence alone that brought the nuns to AZ. Then, my former pastor who was just transferred to be rector of the diocesan cathedral, was the one who insisted I visit the sisters during the Welcome Mass last summer. And once the ball started rolling, it didn't seem to stop! I went to their website (www.desertnuns.com) and found their horarium to be so similiar to my own prayer life, that when I finally met with the sisters for Adoration, Mass and then dinner, as Sister Fidelis said later: 'you just came in, sat down and prayed with us". (versus feeling out of place or not knowing what to do next). When they told me they couldn't accept applicants until they had a cloister, I was torn. I felt called to be with them, however, I knew that, at 35, I was reaching that age where some might find me too old. What happens if I waited around for them to build their monastery and then for whatever reason, I felt I wasn't called there, or they didn't feel I was called there? Then, I would have held up my vocation and might not be able to find a place I was called to, to enter. So, when Sr Fidelis said that while they felt I was a good fit there, they didn't want me to 'hold up' my vocation in the meantime, and should look into other communities as well. If I found a place, well, then perhaps I was called elsewhere. They then suggested that I look at St Joseph Monastery as well, since I seemed to be attracted to their charism. (Portsmouth)

When I entered that monastery, I have to tell you, I was floored by that 'feeling' that 'this is it'. I mean, Lord, aren't I supposed to be a Carmelite?? :shock:

The next day, Mother invited me into the cloister, and one of the first things I saw as I was given a tour, was a statue of St Therese, and then a smaller one of OL of My Carmel! I looked round and just. . . :unsure:
said out loud. . .Isn't this a Poor Clare monastery? Sr Imelda and Mother Delores laughed and said that Carmelite saints aren't just for Carmelites! In fact, do you know that PCPA novices learn about St John of the Cross and Brother Lawrence in their novitiate? Those are Carmelites too! Over the course of the last couple of months I realized that they really do have an appreciation of Carmel. But aside from that, I also recognized that the PCPA monasteries have our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament exposed for our Adoration and worship.

The Carmel I visited, as is the case of most Carmels, have exposition rarely. Some have First Friday exposition and benediction. Then, major solemnities such as Corpus Christ, Annunciation, and Christ the King. That's about it. While Carmel does have an emphasis on being alone with God, with their additional hermit days etc., the PCPA also have one day a month where each sister gets her own 'hermit day', where she only has to appear during common prayer times, and can take her meals alone, outside, in her cell, wherever she prefers. Hmmm, another attraction there! (and they have like all monasteries, yearly retreats)

By the way, not to say anything poorly about another Order, because I LOVE Carmel, I contacted many Carmels, and all of their responses were basically the same, when I asked about Adoration. They said that they pray in common in the chapel where He is always present, just not exposed. (meaning in the Tabernacle). They also mentioned that their 'charism' was union with God, which, if one thinks about it, it is or should be a universal religious life call or charism. Isn't that our focus? To be set aside for Him alone, to be in union with Him alone? For me, to be there in front of our Lord, exposed, is so important to me. And, not to get too much off topic here, but those that make Adoration a primary focus of their lives, sees such a vibrancy, a blessing by God. The Sisters of Life, SSME, DCJ, etc., even though they are active, they all have daily holy hours where He is exposed. The PCPA just choose to do so perpetually!

What most attracted me beyond the Exposed Eucharistic Presence, is the vibrancy of the community, the new vocations. 3 years ago, when Mother Delores and Sr Imelda went to OH to help the monastery, there were three 88yr old nuns, and one 40-something nun, taking care of the elderly sisters. They hadn't had a vocation in 17 yrs. 3 years later, after the bishop asked them to re-establish the monastery, there are now two novices, one postulant, one soon to be postulant (me) and one who is considering entering. Now that more women know about this monastery, I am sure more will follow. And they have a wonderful family like feel that really draws my 'domestic' heart.

I hope I haven't rambled on. You can tell, though, that I am incredibly excited. this Lent, for me, will be especially penitential, because I have to wait until after Easter to enter! I would have entered sooner, but I was having eye problems (eye injury over a year ago) that Lasik corrected and had to wait two months to be medically cleared. That made it in the middle of Lent, and they don't accept candidates during Lent. :ohno:

Anyway, I will be fervent in my prayer, still giving away everything and anything I have aside from what I can take (like my large St Teresa statue they are all looking forward to having!) and as my spiritual director said to me, 'get ready and stay steady.'

God bless you on your journey. I don't know what draws you to contemplative life, but I will more than happy to answer questions if I can, and direct you to those I feel are able, if I am not.

Yours in Christ,

Denise

PS while I don't have a 'OLAM Dad' who is able to send you pics of my entrance, I will be sure to ask if they can post a couple on our website so you can 'see' me. :D:

be_thou_my_vision

Wow! Great story Denise! I am still discerning about the whole PCPA visit. The summer of 2007 is a long way away, and I have a lot of time to discern if God wants me to visit there. I will pray for you!