An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters of Life

magnificat

salveregina

Sounds like a hoot. I love those sisters.

Did you meet Sister Immaculata or Sister Antoniana? They visited us here out at Loras - they're absolutely the sweetest.

Yeah, I don't get the whole shoe thing either, shortnun.

I think I met Sr. immaculata, but I can't put a face to the name right now. And of course I met Sr. Antoniana...especially since I kept pestering her on the phone ;) Apparently I laugh like her...haha!

brandelynmarie

Starrrrrrrrrrt spreadin' the news. . .I'm wearing black shoes, I wanna be a part of them . . .
Sisters of LIFE. . . . .

:biglol: Oh my goodness! I looove parodies! Brandelyn

ThyHolyLove

Steph, I'm so glad that you had a good time with the Sisters! What kind of questions did the Sisters get asked, and what did they say? What did you like most about their life? Where there any girls there who are entering this year?

Hmm...let's see, seeing as it ended up being mostly my questions because I "helped" start tue questions by writing questions and putting them in the basket so that others would put in questions too.

They got asked how they got their religious names. The answer was that they submit 3 names in the letter to Mother before they enter the novitiate and Mother picks.

They got asked whether or not they shaved and/or plucked their eyebrows. :bluesbrother: That got a lot of laughs, particularly since Mother was there!! The answer was you can shave. And in terms of eyebrows, Mother was like, well we are an active community...if we were cloistered, it wouldn't matter because everyone'd get used to it <_<....so as long as it wasn't about vanity or anything like that and it was for the sake of the work it'd be ok...that was an incredibly funny moment!

They also got asked about visiting their families, etc. When they're professed their families can visit them every other month and they get 10 days to visit home (plus 2 days for travel time). Postulants get to go home after Christmas and just before they enter the novitiate. I think that during novitiate, families can visit every other month but they don't go for a home visit (if I remember correctly...)

One question that I put in because I was feeling goofy at the moment was "If you had to sum up your life as a religious in a sentence, what would it be?" and to my surprise, Mother picked that one out of the basket. She said: I have searched for God and He has found me. Very very cool :saint:

They also got asked what their most embarrasing moment as a sister was and Sr. Mary Gabriel told us a story of how this past winter they were playing snow flag football at the formation house and she was the quarterback. After getting blitzed several times, they decided to do a hand off and whoever took the ball also accidentally grabbed her veil and ran so all Sister could do was duck!! :egg:

There weren't any girls on the retreat who are entering this year (so far as I know) mainly because I think most of those girls went on retreat with them earlier. One of my best friends, actually, will hopefully be entering with them this fall and she said that when she went on retreat with them in February, there were 3 or 4 other girls who got papers. :) I'm so excited that my friend'll be entering with them because when I go back and visit, I'll be able to see her too!

What did I like best? EVERYTHING!! :prop: I don't know where to start. I love how their active apostolate flows from their contemplative life. They spend at least half their day in prayer/meditation which is just so beautiful. I love the distinctive charism that really fits with me and how their apostolates come out of their charism. I love their strong Marian devotion, particularly their Salve procession at the end of Compline.

It's also a very unique community because they are so young and so very tied to their founder, John Cardinal O'Connor and so they have all his writings and talks about the vision for the community. They also have a strong devotion to St. Joseph (whose feast was yesterday!).

The Sisters are also so very joyful, energetic, and incredibly smart. Because basically all their sisters have college degrees and many of them did grad school or worked before entering, they just have a very different perspective. Just being with them, you can sense the Holy Spirit burning in them and it's so awesome being around such holy women who are united in this beautiful charism combating the culture of death. I could go on and on but I'll stop for now :)

I wish they had a really big beaming smiley, because that's me right now. Even though you are discussing a community I am no longer with, I still feel that they are one of the most amazing active communities around. Oh and btw, memtherose? I'll be writing to Mother Agnes this weekend to share with her my news. . .lol even though you already told her, I just thought she'd also like to hear it from me.

God bless you! I am so excited that you had a wonderful time with them.

Denise

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:28 PM']Oh and btw, memtherose?  I'll be writing to Mother Agnes this weekend to share with her my news. . .lol even though you already told her, I just thought she'd also like to hear it from me.

[right][snapback]916789[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think you mean me Denise! :P: hehe

That's great! I'm sure that she'd love to hear the details from you, particularly since she really does remember you!

By the way...I give up...I still can't figure out what the shoe thing was a parody of.... :wacko:

OOOOPS! I'm such an idiot! :dunce: I can't believe I did that little misnomer. I SOOO apologize to the both of you! :blush: :duh:

Are you serious, you really don't know what song they're doing the parody of? New York, New York???? Start spreadin' the news, I'm leavin' today, I wanna be a part of it, New York, New York!

Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
These vagabond shoes
Are longing to stray
And make a brand new start of it
New York, New York
I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
These little town blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York.

I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
These little town blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York

Laurentina1975

[quote name='magnificat' date='Mar 21 2006, 01:32 PM']They got asked whether or not they shaved and/or plucked their eyebrows.    And in terms of eyebrows, Mother was like, well we are an active community...if we were cloistered, it wouldn't matter because everyone'd get used to it  <_<....so as long as it wasn't about vanity or anything like that and it was for the sake of the work it'd be ok...that was an incredibly funny moment!

[right][snapback]916658[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know Sister who plucks her eyebrows. :twothumbsup: