An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you supported in your vocation...

Laurentina1975

Laurentina1975

So I was wondering what everyones story is as far as support in your religious vocation (thoughts of, whatever) from parents, siblings and relatives?

Half my family is supportive and there are a few that are very unsupportive and have strayed from the faith. This gravely bothers me and causes me much worry.

I am starting to think that if I am called to religious life, it's going to be a very hard road because of this. Sometimes I wonder if I should just nix the whole though of religious life based on this issue. BUT, for some reason the thoughts won't go away, no matter how much I sometimes pray that they will.

I just wish that everyone would be on board and supportive. However, who said life was a bowl of cherries right?

*sigh*

:(

I tried to call you at your mom's but got voicemail. I didn't leave a message. I wanted to take you to dinner.

I wouldn't axe the idea of being a religious, if you are called to religious life, simply because you feel you aren't being supported by family. That's putting family first, instead of Jesus, isn't it?

My family is not all that supportive. Now, my mother is a little more supportive, as is my stepfather. My brothers, well, one says he supports me, but we've talked twice since Christmas, so I'm not sure how he really feels. (He's never around). The other keeps giving me grief about all the 'freedom' I'm going to lose, and is upset since I won't be here for his wedding. But, I pray for him that he'll see that my vocation is a good thing. My father? Well, he's a little snippy at me a lot of the time, but I think he's now just resigned as he knows his behavior won't change my decision.

My 'mom', Deb, is wonderfully supportive, although she's going to miss me! :( I love her like my own mother. She's taken me under her wing for a while now, and we've become such good friends. She was actually friends with my mother, as well as her boss for the past 12 yrs or so. Then, we've just gotten close, and when my mother wasn't there for me during various events (surgery, trips to the airport to visit communities, etc.) , well Deb just stepped in and said she'd be my 'mom', and it stuck :)

God is good, that way.

God bless you.

Denise

All For Jesus

I'm glad you brought this up...I have been having a really hard time with my family lately. My parents, at least my mom (but probably my dad as well), is not really supporting me as far as discerning. She's also giving me a hard time about my siblings (she's worried that my entering the religious life would have a negative effect on them.) I do have younger siblings and it would be difficult to leave them. But, if Jesus is calling me to the religious life, I want to give Him my whole-hearted yes.

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Mar 27 2006, 05:23 PM']I'm glad you brought this up...I have been having a really hard time with my family lately.  My parents, at least my mom (but probably my dad as well), is not really supporting me as far as discerning.  She's also giving me a hard time about my siblings (she's worried that my entering the religious life would have a negative effect on them.) I do have younger siblings and it would be difficult to leave them.  But, if Jesus is calling me to the religious life, I want to give Him my whole-hearted yes.
[right][snapback]924174[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why does your mother think that your entering religious life would have a NEGATIVE effect on them? If anything, I think it would be a positive effect! :idontknow:

Laurentina1975

Denise, I am going to dinner with my mom because I am leaving to go back to Chicago tomorrow, we are leaving here at 6:00 (Joe's Crab Shack, can't pass that up)! I was around earlier, but we caught a movie.

Back to the topic....one particular parent is not for it. My brother believes in the Omega Point Theory. He thinks that if there is no scientific explanation, it cannot be true (whatever that means).

We were both raised in a Catholic family. In fact, I sometimes wonder why he was confirmed.

It's primarily my brother who I worry about.

:idontknow:

I try not to worry about it, but it's hard.

All For Jesus

Well, I don't think she's supportive of the religious life much in general. But in regards especially to my youngest sibling I guess she is worried that she wouldn't understand completely whats going on and that it she would be hurt by it...but I agree, I think it could have a positive effect on them too.

Lauren,

Pray for your brother...and IGNORE him, he's being an ignorant jerk if he's trying to get in the way of your vocation. I'm sorry to be so harsh but the fact of the matter is that it is those close to us, whom we love, that endanger our vocation the most. They are the ones that the evil one uses to turn us away. It makes sense. Afterall, who cares what strangers think?

I'm sorry for being so blunt but I feel strongly about this and needed to speak my piece. :)

my parents are mostly supportive of my vocation (though i am starting to wonder if they think i am becoming a little bit to conservative. :) )

OLAMdad, I agree with you. That is a good point. And Lauren, you are right. About Life was never said to be easy. Life is a trial, just before St. Therese's first profession, she was clouded with doubt even to the point where she was sure she didn't have a vocation. All the saints lives were filled with trials. With out God we are doomed. But with Him, we can become great people. And I don't mean famous saints, I mean humble, holy ppl living God's will. Trust in God, and He will not abandon you. And don't wait for the next morning after your prayers for eveything to be set straight. God may be giving you these tests to strengthen you, he may want you to convert your family, He may want something from you just bear with Him. In time He will reveal to You His plan/will for you. Just trust and pray, the sacraments and adoration bring bunches of grace, and they are food for the soul, they are nourishment, use them! Well anyways, God Bless you,
Pax Christi,
-Lori

Anyways, unlike allot of other people, I was blessed tremendously with supportive parents. However we do have some relatives away from the faith, they don't know of my discerment because I'm still so young. But my brother entered a seminary (Fathers of Mercy to be exact ;) ) and they, don't really care, my family hasn't had problums with vocations in that way.

passionheart

Lauren,

I agree with OLAM Dad about ignoring your brother. You need to decide what you are going to do with your call. Either you follow it or leave it behind those are your two choices.

I know it is hard not be supported by those who you love and who you expect to support you. As painful as this may sound you must let those people go and not allow them stand between your heart and God. Maybe one day your family will support you. All you can do is pray and give them up to God.

I have three brothers and my older brother has been making snide remarks since I started this walk in my twenties. I am now 43 and he is two years older than I am. To this day, I was sorry I shared my heart with him about my desire. With the exception of my two younger brothers , my family have no idea of my plans to enter religious life because they don't share this part of my life with me. Even my director said I should l tell my family on a need to know basis.

I have accepted that they can't support me and believe me I found this very painful, however, I have friends and others who do support and love me. This community helps me keep my eyes on the call. They know my financial need and they are planning all sorts of fund raising events to help me. I am blessed in their loving response.

Don't dwell on the lack support but rejoice in the support you have and that will make all the difference. ;)

DM

Edited by passionheart

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Mar 27 2006, 05:56 PM']So I was wondering what everyones story is as far as support in your religious vocation (thoughts of, whatever) from parents, siblings and relatives?

Half my family is supportive and there are a few that are very unsupportive and have strayed from the faith.  This gravely bothers me and causes me much worry. 

I am starting to think that if I am called to religious life, it's going to be a very hard road because of this.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just nix the whole though of religious life based on this issue.  BUT, for some reason the thoughts won't go away, no matter how much I sometimes pray that they will.

I just wish that everyone would be on board and supportive.  However, who said life was a bowl of cherries right?

*sigh*

:(
[right][snapback]924160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are people in life that will be unsupportive no matter what you do,
and people who will support you in [color=red]whatever[/color] you do.
Take you pick who you want in your life.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 27 2006, 07:28 PM']There are people in life that will be unsupportive no matter what you do,
and people who will support you in [color=red]whatever[/color] you do.
Take you pick who you want in your life.
[right][snapback]924315[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And there you have it. It's hard to hear it said that way, because, well, they're your family. But as our Lord said. . .those who do the Father's will are My father, mother, sister and brother. Amen.

[quote name='passionheart' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:21 PM']I have friends and others who do support and love me. This community helps me keep my eyes on the call.
[right][snapback]924304[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We love and support you, DonnaMarie!!!!!!

I just found out I know Donna Marie. Now how's THAT for a small small world?? (Makes me want to get into a boat and coast through waters with little animated dolls.)