An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are you supported in your vocation...

Laurentina1975

Nevermind, I found it after I saw your directions :doh: The scroll button works REALLY well, Denise!

There were there, at one time, in the back of my mind. I can't recall if I ever did try to write to them or not.

God bless you!

I don't know. I haven't worked up the courage to ask yet. I'm not looking forward to the conversation:

Hey mom, you know how you got to be okay with the idea of me being a sister? Well, actually, now I think I have a call to contemplative life... which means you won't see me that much, but we'll be closer through prayer!

She's going to think I'm abandoning her, and that I'm trying to escape, and that I'm too young for that.

O Lord, give me courage and greater confidence that this is your will. Give my mother an understanding heart. :sign:

Welcome to the new Lauren! I'm going to get very confused very fast!! :)

Something else that might be helpful for those of us who have parents who are not so supportive...when I spoke to Mother Agnes when I visited the Sisters of Life, i asked her if she had any advice with the "parent thing." She suggested that I ask them to talk to someone else (like a parish priest, etc.) about their feelings since I can't do much to help them. I've been thinking and praying a lot about it and I talked to one of my priest friends back home this afternoon. He's going to meet with them next week (actually apparently my parents did take my advice to set up an appointment with him, praise God!). His advice to me was to think of the story of Peter walking on the water (one of the root stories of both his & my vocations). He said that what I need to do is to keep my focus on Jesus, like Peter did because when he saw the waves all around him, he began sinking. He told me to keep praying and focusing on Christ in the Eucharist and not to worry about my parents, (i.e. the others in the boat). I just need to concentrate on the graces I need to get out of the boat and keep walking. It really was such a wave of relief to hear that from him and to know that he's there to help my parents deal with their fears/issues, particularly since I'm in a different state from them.

Just wanted to past that story along, perhaps it might help y'all to do something similar....

Praise be Jesus that your parents have accepted the grace to see a priest. May their eyes be opened to His will for you.

Laurentina1975

This has turned into a fantabulous thread and I have found everyones input very helpful...

Ok carry on...

So, Lauren Mary. .. any thoughts about what you're gonna do about your parental units and your conservative brother, insofar as support goes?

This is me: :sign:

FutureScholastica

I don't mind at all that some of you suggested counselling in relation with my moms reaction to me becoming a nun. In fact I think it makes a lot of sense. I won't approach the subject out of the blue, but the next time we discuss my vocation and if she's still very upset, I think I'll suggest counceling. I want whats best for my mother and if some professional help can help her find some peace of mind, that'd be wonderful.

OLAM Dad, I have heard of Mother Angelica and I've read some of her story. I must say that what I read really resonated with me, and it also gave me much hope for the future. I would very much like to know more about her. Do you know if there are any books written about her?

Pax

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='Peccator' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:44 AM']To be totally honest....no.

My mother's side of the family (including my mother) is ferociously Protestant and violently anti-catholic. When I converted to the Church they totally lost it...my mother seems to have calmed down, however I haven’t heard from the rest in quite a while.

My fathers side doesn't speak to one another and I haven’t seen them in 10 years, my father is a agnostic/atheist and hates the Catholic Church...and he vocalises it whether I'm there or not.

Now to make things even more difficult…I told them I was going to apply for the seminary when I finish my degree…lets just say they were less than enthusiastic.
[right][snapback]924864[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Peccator,

I am a convert of 17 years and I understand where it is you are coming from. I grew up among many fundamentalist beliefs. I was mocked, abused verbally by some in the community, and felt pretty much shut out. When I converted, my brother was a minister. He came over to confront me one day and asked to see "The Catholic Bible." He looked through it and saw a typo. God was typed as "god." That did it for him. Along with all the other misconceptions he had been taught [ I would be worshipping Saint Joseph since I attended St Josephs Church, and other crazy off-the-wall stuff] He did not speak to me for 3 years.

At the end of those 3 years, I unexpectedly received a letter. I had moved to another state by then and had been married for awhile. He did not come right out and say "I am sorry for attacking you and your faith", he only asked forgiveness. We are close now and he even accepts gifts [a crucifix for his wall, a prayerbook etc...] that he might have once burned.

Keep your eyes fixed on the heavens. Jesus has asked you to walk with Him awhile along the uneven path. I know very well the pain you are feeling. It is difficult, but remind yourself of Whose company you keep.

Prayers for you
Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='FutureScholastica' date='Mar 29 2006, 07:32 AM']I don't mind at all that some of you suggested counselling in relation with my moms reaction to me becoming a nun. In fact I think it makes a lot of sense. I won't approach the subject out of the blue, but the next time we discuss my vocation and if she's still very upset, I think I'll suggest counceling. I want whats best for my mother and if some professional help can help her find some peace of mind, that'd be wonderful.

OLAM Dad, I have heard of Mother Angelica and I've read some of her story. I must say that what I read really resonated with me, and it also gave me much hope for the future. I would very much like to know more about her. Do you know if there are any books written about her?

Pax
[right][snapback]926670[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The book that was recently written about her is called: Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles by Raymond Arroyo. Here it is on Barnes n Noble:
[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0385510926&itm=1"]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...385510926&itm=1[/url]

It's a great book. LOL It's been read by all the sisters in my monastery, and I'm sure the other two monasteries have read it or are reading it as well.

Laurentina1975

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:36 PM']So, Lauren Mary. .. any thoughts about what you're gonna do about your parental units and your conservative brother, insofar as support goes?
This is me:  :sign:
[right][snapback]926299[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually he is a liberal democrat. Like suppppper ultra liberal, to the point of thinking that the omega point theory explains God.

Yeah.....

He needs prayers folks.