An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling the Carmelites

be_thou_my_vision

When you say they don't have a strict cloister. . .what do you mean by that? Do you know what that means? Do they allow home visits, or did they just do away with the grille? LOL Sorry for the inquisition, but inquiring minds are curious. :blush:

How exciting for you to visit! That's just wonderful! I will pray that you know God's will for you. That's not too far from you is it?

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 30 2006, 03:46 PM']When you say they don't have a strict cloister. . .what do you mean by that? Do you know what that means?  Do they allow home visits, or did they just do away with the grille?  LOL  Sorry for the inquisition, but inquiring minds are curious. :blush:
[right][snapback]928699[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
They do not allow home visits. They do not have a grill. They do not have specific extern sisters. They take turns doing the shopping for the community. When they have a guest, they take them into the parlor, which is like any other parlor except they don't have a grill (It's in a picture). They do have an annual party for their benefactors where they mix and mingle with the layity (spelling??). I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
be_thou_my_vision

Sooo I called them again this afternoon. We are trying to schedule for the week of May 7th. She has to check if they are doing anything that week, but I'm pretty sure I will be heading to Terre Haute that week! Yeah!

Please pray for me.... lots.

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='955112' date='Apr 20 2006, 11:50 AM']
Sooo I called them again this afternoon. We are trying to schedule for the week of May 7th. She has to check if they are doing anything that week, but I'm pretty sure I will be heading to Terre Haute that week! Yeah!

Please pray for me.... lots.
[/quote]
:clap: and :pray:

Please say hello to Sr. Martha of Jesus for me. She's from my hometown, and her mom's story of sister's vocation is on my website:

[url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]Society of Our Lady of the Cloister[/url]

"Discalced Carmelite's Mother"

I'm a little dismayed that they've changed the enclosure like that. IMHO, that's not Teresian. :idontknow:

Blessings,
Gemma

be_thou_my_vision

Thanks for the prayers!

They still do have enclosure, but it's just not as strict as it used to be. There aren't a good number of sisters that want to be externs, so all the sisters help to take care of those needs.

What do you mean by Teresian? Do you mean their charism?

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='955313' date='Apr 20 2006, 03:55 PM']
Thanks for the prayers!

They still do have enclosure, but it's just not as strict as it used to be. There aren't a good number of sisters that want to be externs, so all the sisters help to take care of those needs.

What do you mean by Teresian? Do you mean their charism?
[/quote]

There are Teresian Carmels (OCD) and Ancient Observance Carmels (O.Carm). OCDs are supposed to have some of the strictest enclosure to be found. They are of the Teresian reform, which was post Reformation. "The Journey to Carith" is a good book to read which differentiates between the two branches of Carmelites.

I do understand what they're talking about when it comes to externs. Such a position is very precious to the Carmelite vocation, as they meet the public and keep the latter from bothering the cloister nuns (therefore disturbing solitude).

The extern vocation is very well suited to those over 35, and especially for those in their 60s. Carmels won't consider anyone over 35 (there are exceptions).

I do have it written into our Cloisterites' Sancta Regula ("Holy Rule") that the cloister nuns are permitted to take turns at being externs if the need arises. Sounds like TH has that case.

Sorry if I've confused you.

Blessings,
Gemma

be_thou_my_vision

Ya, I don't know everything about this community or their legislation. But I do know that they are Order of Discalced Carmelites! I am visiting so I can learn more about this kind of stuff.

To add to that, the sisters do not come and goes as they please. They do have solitude and a very private life, but the sister I spoke with said that if a certain sister needs shoes or something, that sister goes with another to get the shoes. They take turns running errands and stuff. I don't think they have "a community trip to Walmart" or anything like that, but they do most of their own shopping when needed. I hope this answers some questions!

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='956117' date='Apr 21 2006, 12:12 PM']
Ya, I don't know everything about this community or their legislation. But I do know that they are Order of Discalced Carmelites! I am visiting so I can learn more about this kind of stuff.

To add to that, the sisters do not come and goes as they please. They do have solitude and a very private life, but the sister I spoke with said that if a certain sister needs shoes or something, that sister goes with another to get the shoes. They take turns running errands and stuff. I don't think they have "a community trip to Walmart" or anything like that, but they do most of their own shopping when needed. I hope this answers some questions!
[/quote]

I know they're still cloistered and cherish their solitude. And everything stated here is according to Perfectae Caritatis (I HOPE I got that right! Please pardon me if I didn't). I was rather surprised to hear that they'd done away with the grille, which had always been so very Teresian. That's what perplexed me.

Blessings,
Gemma

be_thou_my_vision

Ya, I don't really know what they deal is with the grill. I guess I will see soon! Keep me in you prayers!

be_thou_my_vision

Well, I called Sister and she invited me to visit on Friday May 12th at 2pm.

16 days!

brandelynmarie

Wonderful news! Keep us posted, ok? They seem to be very balanced...I've heard that they have a hermit day once a week (maybe) where outside of Mass...they become well, hermits! :D:

How wonderful that you will have an opportunity to visit them! You learn so much more by spending time with a community. Know you will find it fruitful.
Keep us posted.
Alicemary