An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling the Carmelites

be_thou_my_vision

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='960334' date='Apr 25 2006, 12:06 PM']
Wonderful news! Keep us posted, ok? They seem to be very balanced...I've heard that they have a hermit day once a week (maybe) where outside of Mass...they become well, hermits! :D:
[/quote]

Yes, they do seem extremely balanced and that is one of the reasons why I am so attracted to thier life. They have a hermit day once a week where all they gather together for is the Eucharist. They also have a weeklong retreat once a year.

be_thou_my_vision

Actually, I have 3 visits the early part of summer to 3 different orders. YIKES! I didn't plan this, things just fell into place! I am going to the May retreat at Ann Arbor with the Dominicans, then stopping by the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration on the way home. Then a week later I go to Carmel

Ann Arbor: 10 days
Mishawaka: 11 days
Carmel: 15 days

brandelynmarie

Sounds like my idea of a good time be _thou_my_vision!!! :bigpray: I will definitely be praying for you...How exciting! When I had a chance two years ago to go to Universal Studios with friends...i finally said that I would rather be on a silent retreat! In October, I will be visiting the Summit Dominicans for sure & I hope to also visit the ones in Buffalo where DonnaMarie will be going...It's hard for me to get time off from work & October was the last month available for summer vacations! :lol_roll:

be_thou_my_vision

I will pray for you... every time that I wanted to go visit a cloistered order, they were always on their weeklong silent retreat! So I'm really excited (and nervous, scared, ect) for this visit, but hopefully it will bring me closer to where God wants me to be and what he wants me to do. I will pray for you, most definitely!

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='961370' date='Apr 26 2006, 06:50 AM']
Actually, I have 3 visits the early part of summer to 3 different orders. YIKES! I didn't plan this, things just fell into place! I am going to the May retreat at Ann Arbor with the Dominicans, then stopping by the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration on the way home. Then a week later I go to Carmel

Ann Arbor: 10 days
Mishawaka: 11 days
Carmel: 15 days
[/quote]
It is like a mini Nun Run! :lol: Having been to the first two locations (though never to Mishawaka for retreat, just to visit), I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience.

Many prayers for you over the next few weeks--may your heart be open to the workings of the Holy Spirit! :)

Is it me, or does the Ann Arbor May retreat seem earlier than usual? I've gone in the past, but even if I wasn't so far away, I still wouldn't be able to go b/c it's so close to exams..... Hmmmm

Be_Thou.... very exciting for you!!! Continued prayers!

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='965982' date='Apr 30 2006, 01:04 PM']
Ann Arbor: 6
Mishawaka: 7
Carmel: 11
[/quote]

Where is Mishawaka???

[quote name='SisterAli' post='965984' date='Apr 30 2006, 01:14 PM']
Where is Mishawaka???
[/quote]
Just east of the city of South Bend, Indiana. Please note that this is often considered to be the "armpit of America" but as you can see on the map, it's acutally Gary, IN which is west of us*:

[img]http://www.mishawakacity.com/images/mishawakamap.gif[/img]

* I say "us" b/c I lived there for four years for college, and I'm going back to visit for a week this summer! :cool:

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='SisterAli' post='965984' date='Apr 30 2006, 01:14 PM']
Where is Mishawaka???
[/quote]

I am going to visit [url="http://www.ssfpa.org"]the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration[/url], who are in Mishawaka.

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='966198' date='Apr 30 2006, 06:51 PM']
I am going to visit [url="http://www.ssfpa.org"]the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration[/url], who are in Mishawaka.
[/quote]

While you're there, you may wish to stop by and visit the Handmaids of the Most Holy Trinity in South Bend. They're on our "extremely critical" prayer list right now, because they're down to one sister. They've been in existence for 20-some years, and have had "many come and gone." Their ashram/monastery/hermitage has been an invaluable resource for their diocese.

Their address and phone number are available on our website, on the "Monasteries in Serious Condition" page: [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]Society of Our Lady of the Cloister[/url]

Just a thought.

Blessings,
Gemma