An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station without Sister Denise

OLAM Dad

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Sister Imelda Marie wrote a letter basically saying that it is the custom of the monastery to recieve only letters from immediate family except at Christmas time. If one wants to get her a message or a prayer request to address it to Attn: Mother Dolores Marie. She also mentioned that Sr. Denise is praying for me and that she will be looking forward to a letter com Christmas time. :)

It wasn't mean or anything, but I was kinda hoping they would have saved it up for her...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, I had to Poor Clare letters in my mailbox today :) I was excited about that.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='980723' date='May 13 2006, 09:33 PM']
Well, I had to Poor Clare letters in my mailbox today :) I was excited about that.
[/quote]

why!?!?!?! DO TELL!!!! LOL!!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='980545' date='May 13 2006, 06:00 PM']
Well, guess what! Today, I got a letter from the PCPAs in Portsmouth. They sent me back my letter, envelope and all! :lol: I guess I will be saving it for Christmas! :D:
[/quote]

Wow...I wasn't expecting that...well...I guess we need to wait! :idontknow:

And FutureNun...tell us! You sent a letter for acceptance?

Laurentina1975

Ang,

That was nice that they wrote you back though and explained. At least they didn't just mark the envelope return to sender!

:)

Marieteresa

wow I am confused here I thought one could receive the letter but could not respond....Oh they kept the letters til you could receive them.....seltsam.

I wouldn't consider what they did as weird at all, just different. It's probably my fault that everybody expects the Portsmouth rules to be the same as at OLAM. Sorry about that. Mea culpa. :)

I would imagine that they sent the letter back as opposed to keeping it to give the sender the option of writing a different letter if they were to know that it wouldn't be opened until Christmas.

At least they didn't open it, read it and send it back saying that they didn't want you to waste Sister Denise's time. :D:

magnificat

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='980871' date='May 14 2006, 09:07 AM']
wow I am confused here I thought one could receive the letter but could not respond....Oh they kept the letters til you could receive them.....seltsam.
[/quote]

I think it's one of those "it depends on the order" things :)

I agree with Steph. It depends on the order.

I think at our friend Jessie's order of Poor Clares, they never write to anyone who isn't family unless somebody gives them a gift (and they only write to them if they can't come to visit). A group of us went to meet them for Holy Hour, and the priest who went with us said that the Poor Clares may get the bell tower they want just from donations from people who want to get small notes of thanks from Jessie.

If I may add my two cents, I think it's wise for cloistered nuns to practice this. Not that I would want to give up my friends, but if I was a Poor Clare who dies to everything, my friends writing to me might serve as a sort of distraction to that total gift of self.

Visiting my college this past weekend, all my friends kept asking if I'd be able to write them from the monastery. Now, I think I would be allowed four letters per year to people other than family. Four letters! Pretty grim number, when I hear all these different individual friends and groups I know clamoring to hear from me. They'd be hearing from me once every two or three years. I hope my family can pass on news.

But this also leads me to agree with Jenny. If I wrote all those people who want to hear from me even every other month, all I'd be doing is writing letters! (Not to say I'm that popular, b/c I'm not, but people add up quickly.)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yeah... Good points Laurentina and OLAM Dad... :)

(Well... I also got a letter from my Poor Clares the same day, so too Poor Clare letters in my mailbox!)