An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Broke Daughters of St. Dominic

passionheart

A quick follow-up. It looks like things are going positively (again -- no details due to public nature of forum). Nothings 100% resolved, there is still a risk of getting broker, but its better than it was before.

Thanks for the prayers from the Broke Daughters :)

-- Carmen

passionheart

Hello,

I am back from St. Joseph Oratory.

I paid a visit to Frere Andre and I thanked him for his intercession for our group. I lit a candle and I lifted up our intentions our blessed St. Joseph. Finally, I asked a Mass to be said at the Oratory for our group's intention.

St. Joseph and Blessed Frere Andre, pray for us and bless us!!!

[quote name='passionheart' post='1081198' date='Oct 1 2006, 08:29 PM']
Hello,

I am back from St. Joseph Oratory.

I paid a visit to Frere Andre and I thanked him for his intercession for our group. I lit a candle and I lifted up our intentions our blessed St. Joseph. Finally, I asked a Mass to be said at the Oratory for our group's intention.

St. Joseph and Blessed Frere Andre, pray for us and bless us!!!
[/quote]
Thank you so much! :flowers:

VeniteAdoremus

Oh, my joy, I just received the information booklet of the Dutch lay Dominicans. They're a bit weird (most Catholics here are a bit weird :( ) but they seem to have an excellent formation programme...

I might be a bit more of a Daughter of St. Dominic soon :D:

Still broke, though. :mellow: ^_^

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1083619' date='Oct 4 2006, 05:40 AM']
Oh, my joy, I just received the information booklet of the Dutch lay Dominicans. They're a bit weird (most Catholics here are a bit weird :( ) but they seem to have an excellent formation programme...

I might be a bit more of a Daughter of St. Dominic soon :D:

Still broke, though. :mellow: ^_^
[/quote]

The dutch Lay Dominicans are weird. No doubt about it!
The book on Dominican spirituality by John Bowden and Eric Borgman is awful and full of interpretations and reconstructing history. Don't read it! It will just annoy you!

Their formation program probably is good, well, maybe.

brandelynmarie

'Allo cheries! :french: I am just getting over the plague :sick:....but I am no longer contagious & God willing will be visiting 2 Dominican monasteries in the next week or so...Summit & Buffalo. I ask the Broke Daughters & Sons to please pray for me that I may listen to what God is saying & that I may have a Spirit of discernment...Also, that I may have safe travels...Deo gratias! I will be praying for y'all on my "retreats"... :blush:

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1083659' date='Oct 4 2006, 08:34 AM']
The book on Dominican spirituality by John Bowden and Eric Borgman is awful and full of interpretations and reconstructing history. Don't read it! It will just annoy you!
[/quote]
I read it. I liked it. :idontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This maybe me, but has anyone else noticed that there dollars are going further than normal?

Things for me are always tight being on a set income, but of late they don't seem as tight as "normal".

Your thoughts?

Belinda

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1083660' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:35 AM']
'Allo cheries! :french: I am just getting over the plague :sick:....but I am no longer contagious & God willing will be visiting 2 Dominican monasteries in the next week or so...Summit & Buffalo. I ask the Broke Daughters & Sons to please pray for me that I may listen to what God is saying & that I may have a Spirit of discernment...Also, that I may have safe travels...Deo gratias! I will be praying for y'all on my "retreats"... :blush:
[/quote]

Praying here ...

-- Carmen

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

It has been awhile since we have had any messages in this thread. So I thought I add couple thoughts tonight.

First, I will add St. Marguerite D’Youville to the Litany of saints. St. Marguerite is the founderess of Grey Sisters of the Montreal and of my teachers the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception. These sisters have been a God send for me in many as well, St. Marguerite know from her own life experience the struggles that debt can bring. For all you saint trivia buffs, St. Marguerite was first Canadian born canonized saint.

I know sometimes it is difficult to keep praying when you seen no results. I want to share a little of my story to encourage you.

Back in 1993, I lost my job as Medical Laboratory Technologist. Since the job market for my profession wasn’t good at that time, I started looking for a job to pay the bills and decide what to do. Well, I couldn’t find one because all I kept getting was I was “overqualified” or you don’t want this job or you won’t stay. It took year before I could find a minimum wage job at a local retail store. Well, since the job didn’t pay much, I found I had to use up all my savings and other funds to live. Well, this store which I had known since I was a child went out of business.

I decided if I was going to be this poor, I might as well finish my degree. So I return to school but this time with student loans. I finished my degree and the area I wanted to work in which was the high tech field, took a downturn. So in one place the department I wanted to work in just disappeared. Not to mention, that during school, I had to leave a job due to problems with my boss. Another place was sold and I was let go. I tried to supplement my job by house/pet sitting but the company went broke. I did do some mystery shopping. It was fun but it didn’t pay very much.

I was broke, depressed and very mad at God. :weep: My brother paid the rent and when he bought his house, he let me live with him. If it wasn’t for my brother, I would be on the streets. Three years ago, an old childhood friend offered me a job at her dental office as a receptionist and I have been working in this office till now.

So again here I was feeling called to religious life but I was in debt and didn’t know what to do. However, I felt if this call is true, then God must provide. Well, when I did my aspirancy with the Dominicans in Buffalo, I was so ashamed and embarrassed to tell Mother Gemma, I was deeply in debt. However, Mother Gemma showed me so much compassion. She believed, as well as other friends, that God would help me.

Well, when I returned home, I took up the offer of my friend and my brother, to help me with my debts. My friends I was $ 62,000 in debt. We started writing letters and asked for donations. However, it was our Euchre Tournament that opened my eyes to God’s grace.

I didn’t know who was coming and I didn’t think it would be a success. I thought once again another failure but I decided to hand it over to God. I said if even if one person shows, then we will do what we can. The money raised that night was $2,500. The following day, was Pentecost and I knelt and asked God for forgiveness. I didn’t believe that anyone would help me much less Him. Since the last ten years have been such struggle and people say they would help me but in the end they didn’t and I would end up taking care of whatever business on my own.

If I could I would have remained prostrated through the whole Mass. I said to the Lord that now I believe and I will place my trust in Him to solve my debt crisis. Later, on
St. Thomas the Apostle’s feast day, I asked his help for my doubt as well.

Well, the Fraser Foundation will help with my student loans but I needed to take care of my personal loans and debts. In April, my loan was at $15,000. Now, it stands at $2,600. Everyone, including my workmates are shocked at how fast the loan is disappearing. My supervisor at work isn’t happy about loan disappearing because that means I will be leaving. So there is pressure to leave my vocation behind and stay at the office. Please keep me in your prayers. The pressure is becoming worst!!! Even the dentist owners have told me “God can wait!”

My dear brothers and sisters, it is only by God’s Mercy and Grace that I am this point and believe me, I am very excited. I can see me entering soon. I have sent my information to the Catholic Legal Immigration Clinic to help me with my immigration into the US. I am selling my accordion and my comic book collection. These are the only possessions I have.

I am writing this story to encourage you so you don’t lose heart. Yep, I would have loved to have God send someone with a cheque for $62,000 but it didn’t happen. No, God has used this time to help me grow in my faith and to fall more and more in love with Him. Not mention, to teach me patience, trust and detachment. Once, I said God would be glorified in my debts and I believe this statement has been proven true.

So don’t lose heart, keep praying and trust that our Father in heaven who knows the needs of His children will provide for them.

God Bless :D:

Edited by passionheart

VeniteAdoremus

Oh, thank you for sharing that. You've had an amazing journey so far.

My meagre student loans feel much lighter now - I know I'll be free of them in no time when I have my degree! God will provide for His girls! :)

So the Updated list is

Members Needing Prayers To Eliminate Debts

passionheart
Marieteresa
puella paschalis
Future IHMNJ
Venite Adoremus
cmariadiaz
In His Light
brandelynmarie
Veritas
trfr415
DeoOptimoMaximo

Auxiliaries

OLAM Dad
DiscerningSoul
hugheyforlife
phatdaddy
Fr. Stephen of Genesee Abbey of Pifford, NY
shortnun
zunshynn
Rose-of-Sharon
TheresaMF
Beatrice off-line
Mary off-line
Bryan off-line
Sister Mary Catharine OP of Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery, Summit,NJ
Joni off-line
brendan1104
Kari
dee_lt4life

Saints Interceding For All Of Us!

All Dominican Saints & Blesseds in the Litany (see shortnun's earlier post!)
Infant Jesus of Prague
Our Lady of Good Remedy
St. Joseph
Mother Mary of St. Peter
St. Padre Pio
St. Francis
St. Clare
St. Maximilian
St. Benedict
St. Teresa of Avila
St. Therese
St. Rita
St. Bernard
St. Anthony of Padua
Blessed Brother Andre Bessette
St. Jude
St. Bartholomew
Venerable Solanus Casey
St. Philomena
St. Gemma Galgani
Blessed Mother Teresa
John Paul II
St. Alphonsus de Ligori
St. John Vianney
Blessed Jeanne Jugan
St. Cyril of Jerusalem
St. Patrick
St. Marguerite D'Youville

P.S. I asked the Soeurs de la Visitation (Visitation Sisters)in Ottawa to pray for us.

Well, at the dentist office who should come in but an old friend. She is now a novice with the sisters. This order of the Visitation sisters are French and my friend is bilingual so she helped other sisters. I asked if they received my letter for prayers for the Broke Daughters and Son of St. Dominic. Sr. Catherine said yes but they thought my request was a little strange not to mention if I was broke, why was I sending a donation? :idontknow:

Once I explained who we are she said "O this is great and is needed. My friend Sr. Catherine said she would explain everything to Mother. So more prayers are coming our way. :saint:

Praise God.

Edited by passionheart

[quote name='stlmom' post='1098023' date='Oct 21 2006, 09:57 PM']
Simply astounding!
There's only one thing to say to that: "Get thee to a nunnery!" :lol:
[/quote]

All I can say is AMEN to that :D: