An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Broke Daughters of St. Dominic

passionheart

That is a good and encouraging story about your debt relief, Emile James. Your story gives me hope as well, Passionheart.

FYI -posible DEBT RELIEF for aspiring REligous and Priests
Mater Ecclesiae Debt Relief Grant Program/

Through the Mater Ecclesiae grant program, we seek to accelerate and to prevent the abandonment of vocations by guaranteeing the eventual retirement of the student loans of men and women who have generously answered a call to religious life.

Since we started this grant program in the summer of 2004, we have issued 24 grants to men and women who are now in formation and beginning a consecrated life of prayer for our Church and our world. Without those grants, they would be struggling in the work-a-day world to pay down their debt and meet expenses.

In 2003, we were made aware of the plight of men and women who desire to follow their vocational call to religious life but are prevented from doing so by the debt they acquired to pay for an education. This prompted us to design two grant programs and file with the IRS for their approval. In June 2004, we received IRS approval for the Mater Ecclesiae Debt Relief Grant Program for men and women entering religious life and the St. John Vianney Debt Relief Grant Program for men entering the diocesean priesthood.

Our grant programs are currently helping 20 men and women pursue their vocations
We have carefully structured the grant program so as not to interfere with the discernment progress of grant recipients.

If you would like to apply for a grant, read our instructions to grant applicants.

If you would like to help us with keeping this important program available, read about our need for support.

Fraser Family Foundation
2513 North Quantico Street
Arlington, VA 22207

Our e-mail address is:

fraserfamilyfdn@earthlink.net

VeniteAdoremus

I've heard of the Fraser Family Foundation before. They're wonderful.

The good of people keeps filling my heart with joy.

Joke by a 1960's Dutch Catholic comedian: "There will be a fund raise for Miss Smit's dowry next week, she doesn't have enough money for the vow of poverty."

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1154333' date='Jan 2 2007, 09:00 AM']
I've heard of the Fraser Family Foundation before. They're wonderful.

The good of people keeps filling my heart with joy.

Joke by a 1960's Dutch Catholic comedian: "There will be a fund raise for Miss Smit's dowry next week, she doesn't have enough money for the vow of poverty."
[/quote]

There should so be something akin to the FFF in the UK and the Netherlands. Otherwise we could write to all the rich Catholics (there are a few in Government :)) and ask them for a little donation.

PP

Thank you so much for sharing this information, I have never heard of this foundation, I recently sent them an e-mail for application for the grant and will pray they can help! Thank you all for your wonderful advice and suggestions, I'm taking them all into consideration, and know that I am praying for each one of you, and god willing when I've payed my debts and am able to enter, on that night in nocturnal adoration, all of you will be especially remembered in my prayers!!

God Bless You!

[quote name='Emile James' post='1154320' date='Jan 2 2007, 12:53 AM']
FYI -posible DEBT RELIEF for aspiring REligous and Priests
Mater Ecclesiae Debt Relief Grant Program/

Through the Mater Ecclesiae grant program, we seek to accelerate and to prevent the abandonment of vocations by guaranteeing the eventual retirement of the student loans of men and women who have generously answered a call to religious life.

Since we started this grant program in the summer of 2004, we have issued 24 grants to men and women who are now in formation and beginning a consecrated life of prayer for our Church and our world. Without those grants, they would be struggling in the work-a-day world to pay down their debt and meet expenses.

In 2003, we were made aware of the plight of men and women who desire to follow their vocational call to religious life but are prevented from doing so by the debt they acquired to pay for an education. This prompted us to design two grant programs and file with the IRS for their approval. In June 2004, we received IRS approval for the Mater Ecclesiae Debt Relief Grant Program for men and women entering religious life and the St. John Vianney Debt Relief Grant Program for men entering the diocesean priesthood.

Our grant programs are currently helping 20 men and women pursue their vocations
We have carefully structured the grant program so as not to interfere with the discernment progress of grant recipients.

If you would like to apply for a grant, read our instructions to grant applicants.

If you would like to help us with keeping this important program available, read about our need for support.

Fraser Family Foundation
2513 North Quantico Street
Arlington, VA 22207

Our e-mail address is:

[/quote]

Hello all,

for those of you considering the Fraser Family Fund Foundation grants, I recieved a lovely email but unfortunately they can't help at this present time, but please keep them in your prayers as they are starting a new organization to help religious vocations, the email is as follows:

Thank you for your generous response to God's call.

I regret that we cannot help you at this time. The resources available to the Fraser Family Foundation have been fully committed to the existing 23 Mater Ecclesiae grants that we have issued in the last 3 years. You can read about that grant program at fraserfamilyfoundation.org.

We are, however, in the process of forming a new organization (the Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations) for the purpose of raising funds to reopen our grant program to new applicants. When progress is made towards this goal, information will be posted at fundforvocations.org.

We will keep you in our prayers as you work toward fulfilling your vocation. Please remember the Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations in your prayers.

Mr. Corey F. Huber

Executive Director

Fraser Family Foundation

fraserfamilyfoundation.org

So I am continuing to look into other organizations and I continue to pray to my good friend St. Joseph for all of us, so we can oneday soon be debt-free to enter where our lord has called us!

God Bless You, I'm Praying For you!

• 2 weeks later...
DeoOptimoMaximo

My Dear Broke Sisters,

I'm afraid more bad news has come my way...
If u may recall my community (Glenmary Home Missionaries of America) is not paying for my seminary training as they are in a deficit, etc... and I can't afford it and have a large past military debt already. Well, I just received my financial aid letter and it states that the seminary says I should take out three more loans totalling some $14,000 just for this year (I have 1 more after this hopefully).... Now I'm at a loss cause my parish doesn't have any money to help me out either :( :(

Please please pray for me, and know that I light a candle for all your intentions in our St. Pius X chapel in front of St. Therese's statue here at the Pontifical College Josephinum, in Columbus Ohio...

In His Service,
The Broke Son,
~Shawn

Shawn ((((HUGS)))) I'm so sorry to hear about this, Know that I am praying for you very much, and if there's anything I can do, don't ever hesitate to ask!!! Thank you for your many prayers too!

I recently found out about another possible group that might be of help to my broke sisters. Or at least the ones in the US of A. It is an american charitable outfit called the Laboure Society. Here is their website:
[url="http://www.labourefoundation.org/"]http://www.labourefoundation.org/[/url]

Shawn,

Believe me when I say I have been praying very hard for you. I know I will be in the monastery but I hope someone will tell me what is happening with you.

I know it looks black but try to hang on to hope!!

VeniteAdoremus

Since we haven't had one in a while and Donna is probably busy ;)

[b]Broke Daughters[/b]
passionheart - soon to be Sr. Donna!
Marieteresa
puella paschalis
Future IHMNJ
Venite Adoremus
cmariadiaz
In His Light
brandelynmarie
Veritas
trfr415
DeoOptimoMaximo
TeresaAvila

[b]Broke Son[/b]
DeoOptimoMaximo

[b]Auxiliaries[/b]
OLAM Dad
DiscerningSoul
hugheyforlife
phatdaddy
Fr. Stephen of Genesee Abbey of Pifford, NY
shortnun
zunshynn
Rose-of-Sharon
TheresaMF
Beatrice off-line
Mary off-line
Bryan off-line
Sister Mary Catharine OP of Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery, Summit,NJ
Joni off-line
brendan1104
Kari
dee_lt4life
Soeurs de la Visitation (Visitation Sisters)in Ottawa

[b]Saints Interceding For All Of Us![/b]
All Dominican Saints & Blesseds in the Litany (see shortnun's earlier post!)
Infant Jesus of Prague
Our Lady of Good Remedy
St. Joseph
Mother Mary of St. Peter
St. Padre Pio
St. Francis
St. Clare
St. Maximilian
St. Benedict
St. Teresa of Avila
St. Therese
St. Rita
St. Bernard
St. Anthony of Padua
Blessed Brother Andre Bessette
St. Jude
St. Bartholomew
Venerable Solanus Casey
St. Philomena
St. Gemma Galgani
Blessed Mother Teresa
John Paul II
St. Alphonsus de Ligori
St. John Vianney
Blessed Jeanne Jugan
St. Cyril of Jerusalem
St. Patrick
St. Marguerite D'Youville

brandelynmarie

[quote name='DeoOptimoMaximo' post='1164563' date='Jan 14 2007, 06:57 PM']
My Dear Broke Sisters,

I'm afraid more bad news has come my way...
If u may recall my community (Glenmary Home Missionaries of America) is not paying for my seminary training as they are in a deficit, etc... and I can't afford it and have a large past military debt already. Well, I just received my financial aid letter and it states that the seminary says I should take out three more loans totalling some $14,000 just for this year (I have 1 more after this hopefully).... Now I'm at a loss cause my parish doesn't have any money to help me out either :( :(

Please please pray for me, and know that I light a candle for all your intentions in our St. Pius X chapel in front of St. Therese's statue here at the Pontifical College Josephinum, in Columbus Ohio...

In His Service,
The Broke Son,
~Shawn
[/quote]

Shawn, :console: :sign: What is happening now with you? PLease let us know!

VeniteAdoremus! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on a public computer right now, but I only have an hour to catch up on my e-mail & phatmass! Thank you SO MUCH for updating the lists! :lol: We must continue on! :bigpray:

DeoOptimoMaximo

Dear sisters,

Had more financial meetings/ phone conferences today... Met with the seminary Vice Rector and also Treasurer today, but the meetings didn't go too well... :weep:

I had been expecting tuition funding that I wouldn't have to pay back due to past conversations with the leadership here. Amazingly, in our meeting the Treasurer denied having past phone conversations with me about the $ topic and even told falsehoods to the Vice-Rector about my efforts in resolving this matter.
:sadder: :weep: I am in shock! :shock: They are both good people, and can't understand why there was no compassion for me on their part, :( but I do understand some of where they are coming from, as I discovered the seminary itself is having some financial problems of its own. I am striving to embrace this cross with welcome arms in obedience to our Beloved's will, and yet my heart is full of sadness... :ohno:

Regardless, My vocation director will be meeting with Glenmary's treasurer to try to work this out... my feeling is that they might tell me to take out the loans, :unsure: and if God willing, I am ordained as a Glenmary missionary, they will pay it off. I just wish some dear soul would step forward and aid me in my distress, but I trust in Our Dear Lord's plan...

That's all the info I know right now, but on a side note, is anyone going to the March for Life in Washington DC? Most of us seminarians will be going! It would be cool to meet up with fellow discerners and phatmassers!

Please keep me in your prayers, and know that you are definitely in mine! :saint:

God Bless!
~Shawn