An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Broke Daughters of St. Dominic

passionheart

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1176554' date='Jan 26 2007, 02:54 AM']Here I go again ....

It had looked like the financial situation was going to be in order for my entrance in Spring 2007 ... however now there is a family emergency going on (my mom is very ill).

Long story short -- not only will this affect my entrance date; this throws a big, major kink into the finances.

:ohno: :sadder: :weep:

-- Carmen[/quote]

Hi Phamily:

Just to let you all know, my mom passed away Feb. 9. It was a peaceful and beautiful death.

Now to the financial -- yep my debts have grown instead of decreased. I ended up taking 3 weeks (at least) unpaid, and had additional debts due to the sudden trips (three of us travelled). In addition I've helped out my sister with her move ... that added a couple of hundred.

Things are happening though -- I've found an apartment that is 1/2 the rent of the one that I'm in, and I have 3 people interested in purchasing my car.

Please keep this all in prayer ... there are a couple of very important decisions that I need to make soon. I really do want to make the right decisions but with all that has happened its difficult to take a definitive step. My spiritual director also thinks that fear is getting in the way as well.

I am so sorry to learn that your Mom has passed away and send my sincere sympathies to you and your family at this time.You will be in my prayers and I hope that everything will work out well for you. God Bless and LOL

I am so sorry to hear about your moms passing away, know that I wil be praying for all of you, and I will continue to pray for your debt situation, and that's is great news about your apartment and possible sale of your car, although we have cross our lord also sends many blessings!! ((((HUGS))))

AccountDeleted

I will pray for you and for the soul of your mother. I will ask Our Holy Mother to keep watch over you now and always.

• 2 months later...

Got a letter in the mail today from Passionheart (Donna Marie) who is a postulant at the Dominican Monastery in Buffalo, NY.
She says hello to all of you and she's doing fine. She's keeping everyone in her prayers...thought you'd like to know!

I was just thinking of her the other day and said a little prayer for her. How wonderful that she continues to persevere in that little community.

[quote name='stlmom' post='1257069' date='Apr 26 2007, 06:10 PM']Got a letter in the mail today from Passionheart (Donna Marie) who is a postulant at the Dominican Monastery in Buffalo, NY.
She says hello to all of you and she's doing fine. She's keeping everyone in her prayers...thought you'd like to know![/quote]

Send her my love ... I miss her!

:saint: I want to join up too.Years ago I had looked into various communites for information.I did visit the Discalded Carmelites in San Antonio,with a thought about jioning them.However,my mother had a stroke and I helped take care of her,so the whole thing went by the way side.I could check into perhasp becoming a secular Carmelite or a member of a secular institute.
But I know I would have to get rid of any debt even for this.I will be praying for you all and hope things come true for you in your vocation quest,Jesus willing.

• 2 months later...

Time to *bump* this thread back up to the top :-).

Good news -- I'm more than 1/2 way paid the credit card debt that I had. I had debt on two cards; then transferred most of the debt from one to another (zero percent rate for 6 months). Then started paying them off.

This includes the expenses that I had due to my mom's illness and death; and having to take (more than) two weeks unpaid.

So I think I'm definitely on track for a January entrance :-).

BTW -- I've been lighting candles on a frequent basis for many intentions ... the next candle will be for those on this list.

Praise God!

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1257931' date='Apr 27 2007, 01:27 PM']:saint: I want to join up too.Years ago I had looked into various communites for information.I did visit the Discalded Carmelites in San Antonio,with a thought about jioning them.However,my mother had a stroke and I helped take care of her,so the whole thing went by the way side.I could check into perhasp becoming a secular Carmelite or a member of a secular institute.
But I know I would have to get rid of any debt even for this.I will be praying for you all and hope things come true for you in your vocation quest,Jesus willing.[/quote]

There hasn't been a list for a while .... feel free to add your name here as appropriate. I (very happily) moved (Sr) Donna (aka PassionHeart) to the auxiliaries (I trust she's praying for this list!). I also don't know if St. John the Baptist is in shortnun's previous post (the litany) so I added him just in case.

:-)

[b]Broke Daughters[/b]
Marieteresa
puella paschalis
Future IHMNJ
Venite Adoremus
cmariadiaz
In His Light
brandelynmarie
Veritas
trfr415
DeoOptimoMaximo
TeresaAvila
HollyDolly

[b]Broke Son[/b]
DeoOptimoMaximo

[b]Auxiliaries[/b]
OLAM Dad
DiscerningSoul
hugheyforlife
phatdaddy
Fr. Stephen of Genesee Abbey of Pifford, NY
shortnun
zunshynn
Rose-of-Sharon
TheresaMF
Beatrice off-line
Mary off-line
Bryan off-line
Sister Mary Catharine OP of Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery, Summit,NJ
Joni off-line
brendan1104
Kari
dee_lt4life
Soeurs de la Visitation (Visitation Sisters)in Ottawa
passionheart - soon to be Sr. Donna! (now offline!)

[b]Saints Interceding For All Of Us![/b]
All Dominican Saints & Blesseds in the Litany (see shortnun's earlier post!)
Infant Jesus of Prague
Our Lady of Good Remedy
St. Joseph
Mother Mary of St. Peter
St. Padre Pio
St. Francis
St. Clare
St. Maximilian
St. Benedict
St. Teresa of Avila
St. Therese
St. Rita
St. Bernard
St. Anthony of Padua
Blessed Brother Andre Bessette
St. Jude
St. Bartholomew
Venerable Solanus Casey
St. Philomena
St. Gemma Galgani
Blessed Mother Teresa
John Paul II
St. Alphonsus de Ligori
St. John Vianney
Blessed Jeanne Jugan
St. Cyril of Jerusalem
St. Patrick
St. Marguerite D'Youville
St. John the Baptist

• 2 weeks later...

Moving In His Light to auxiliaries ...

[b]Broke Daughters[/b]
Marieteresa
puella paschalis
Future IHMNJ
Venite Adoremus
cmariadiaz
brandelynmarie
Veritas
trfr415
DeoOptimoMaximo
TeresaAvila
HollyDolly

[b]Broke Son[/b]
DeoOptimoMaximo

[b]Auxiliaries[/b]
OLAM Dad
DiscerningSoul
In His Light
hugheyforlife
phatdaddy
Fr. Stephen of Genesee Abbey of Pifford, NY
shortnun
zunshynn
Rose-of-Sharon
TheresaMF
Beatrice off-line
Mary off-line
Bryan off-line
Sister Mary Catharine OP of Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery, Summit,NJ
Joni off-line
brendan1104
Kari
dee_lt4life
Soeurs de la Visitation (Visitation Sisters)in Ottawa
passionheart - soon to be Sr. Donna! (now offline!)

[b]Saints Interceding For All Of Us![/b]
All Dominican Saints & Blesseds in the Litany (see shortnun's earlier post!)
Infant Jesus of Prague
Our Lady of Good Remedy
St. Joseph
Mother Mary of St. Peter
St. Padre Pio
St. Francis
St. Clare
St. Maximilian
St. Benedict
St. Teresa of Avila
St. Therese
St. Rita
St. Bernard
St. Anthony of Padua
Blessed Brother Andre Bessette
St. Jude
St. Bartholomew
Venerable Solanus Casey
St. Philomena
St. Gemma Galgani
Blessed Mother Teresa
John Paul II
St. Alphonsus de Ligori
St. John Vianney
Blessed Jeanne Jugan
St. Cyril of Jerusalem
St. Patrick
St. Marguerite D'Youville
St. John the Baptist

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as it is the Feast of St. Dominic, I think it's most fitting that I post this link today.

Earlier, when reading some blogs, I came across this article from the National Catholic Register called [b][url="http://www.religiouslife.com/ncregister_debt.html"]Debt, the Vocation Killer[/url][/b]. It's good to know that religious communities are aware of what an obstacle debt can be to discerners. And now we must pray for the courage to find a solution!

[i]O lumen Ecclesiae
Doctor veritatis,
Rosa patientiae,
Ebur castitatis,
Aquam sapientiae
propinasti gratis,
Praedicator gratiae,
nos junge beatis.[/i]

[i]Light of the Church,
Teacher of truth,
Rose of patience,
Ivory of chastity,
You freely offered
The waters of wisdom,
Preacher of grace,
Unite us with the blessed.[/i]

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

I would love to be a member of the Broke Daughters of St. Dominic. While I do not have a monetary debt holding me back from pusuing the Dominicans, I do have a debt to Uncle Sam with military service. I'm specifically discerning with the Nashville Dominicans...for the next six years. I trust, I trust... :unsure: