An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Bethlehem In Livingston Manor

Guest Perpetualove

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1464585' date='Feb 16 2008, 11:19 PM']Out of curiosity, what is the entrance requirements for the Sisters of Bethlehem in Livingston Manor? Age limit? etc.?

Maybe Margaret Clare knows as she visited and was discerning? They do seem so wonderful and the exposed Blessed Sacrament in their hermitage is the greatest gift![/quote]
i think this is answered further back on here but..
well interesting, 45? hmm, the Brothers in Italy, and some of the French vocation info i have here from the Community (2000) says 35, but, because of their experience and eastern influences they personalize each vocation, and do not want to stifle a move of the Holy Spirit..thus.. a woman in south France i know about entered at 48 ..so...( she looks like a very robust at 52....not that 52 is old mind you.. :P.
and questions for Margret Clare wouldn't t be answered on here because she is away for Lent, but you can message me with a question if you want, an i will contact her.

Maranatha
-
Emile

Edited by EJames2

[i]all below photos by the wonderful photographer(you can purchase her pics for online use, or print,btw)[/i],[u]Hanan Isachar[/u]
[img]http://images.onesite.com/mycatholicvillage.com/user/catholique_apostolique/blog_photos/beth6.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.onesite.com/mycatholicvillage.com/user/catholique_apostolique/blog_photos/beth4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.onesite.com/mycatholicvillage.com/user/catholique_apostolique/blog_photos/beth1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.onesite.com/mycatholicvillage.com/user/catholique_apostolique/blog_photos/beth3.jpg[/img]

above photos bet-Gemmal, Israel

---
Sisters of Bethlehem
Our Lady-Lourdes Camp
White Roe Lake Rd
Livingston Manor, NY
12758, United States

Edited by EJames2

THe BETHLEHEM SISTERS may be oping their new Monastery near the lake of Gallalie
( with the Brothers) sooner then later!

[code]Tuesday 18 September,2007

Uhler and Wendeln left for two days retreat at the Monastery of Our Lady of the Assumption in Bet Gemal, near Bet Shemesh in Israel. Uhler inquired of the Sister at their religious store about the status of their property, since the Israeli government has frequently made it known to them that it wants to buy their land. When the Sisters refused to sell this past year, someone planted an explosive on the farmland next door, owned by the Salesian Fathers and Brothers. A man driving a tractor over the trip wire detonated the bomb.
On Ash Wednesday, 2007, two masked gunmen walked into the Sisters` church after Mass and demanded money. A Sister peacefully told the men they had no money. The extern Sister told Uhler, `All the sisters remained silent and recollected throughout this ordeal.`
A guest up in the gallery called the Israeli police on a cellphone; and the police captured the gunmen as they left the monastery grounds.

The extern Sister said the final decision was in the hands of the Salesians, from whom the Israeli government also wants to buy land. Since the common Salesian property adjoins the Sisters`, if they sell to the Israelis, she said, the land could be used for purposes that would be contrary to our monastic spirit of silence and prayer.. In that case, the sisters would have to leave or sell, as well. [For more detail, read `Exodus and Exile: Too Close To Home` by Kahie Uhler at cpthebron@yahoogroups.com.
Gibb and Rose on school patrol found an IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) jeep stationary with its engine running at the Yatta Road checkpoint. Six soldiers were at the checkpoint and were still all there when the CPTers left 45 minutes later at 8:00 a.m. Soldiers checked the bags of all boys over (about) 10-year-old. The soldiers did not detain anyone or turn anyone back. ...[/code]

Edited by EJames2

• 4 weeks later...
velveteenbunny
:bump:

These sisters are so beautiful, and I feel (even after reading this entire thread several times, and scouring the net for more info) like I know nothing about them. Does anyone know what their daily schedule is like?

Also, I'm going to in Europe for a few weeks in April. Does anyone here know if their monasteries have room available to travellers: specifically, two sisters, one of whom (me) secretly wants to 'check out' the place in a pre- pre- pre-discernment sort of way?. I would really love to visit them if I can, ideally stay a night... but surely it wouldn't be a matter of just showing up and knocking on their doors!

I'm leaving very soon and my itinerary is far from finalized: only that I'll be in Spain, Italy, Austria and Ireland and the UK. But when it is finalized, and if this sort of thing is kosher (or even just possible) ... who would I contact? How... fax? Phone? I've no idea how to go about this sort of thing or how realistic it is. I just think I"ll be really disappointed if I don't at least try to find a way to visit, however briefly.

genesisweavers

[quote name='velveteenbunny' post='1477530' date='Mar 15 2008, 04:41 AM']:bump:

These sisters are so beautiful, and I feel (even after reading this entire thread several times, and scouring the net for more info) like I know nothing about them. Does anyone know what their daily schedule is like?

Also, I'm going to in Europe for a few weeks in April. Does anyone here know if their monasteries have room available to travellers: specifically, two sisters, one of whom (me) secretly wants to 'check out' the place in a pre- pre- pre-discernment sort of way?. I would really love to visit them if I can, ideally stay a night... but surely it wouldn't be a matter of just showing up and knocking on their doors!

I'm leaving very soon and my itinerary is far from finalized: only that I'll be in Spain, Italy, Austria and Ireland and the UK. But when it is finalized, and if this sort of thing is kosher (or even just possible) ... who would I contact? How... fax? Phone? I've no idea how to go about this sort of thing or how realistic it is. I just think I"ll be really disappointed if I don't at least try to find a way to visit, however briefly.[/quote]

genesisweavers

I know a little bit about the community - I visit them as often as I can. In fact I'm planning on going tomorrow for Matins, Mass and Vespers. Each Sister follows her own schedule which is worked out with the Prioress except for the times of day they meet for common observances. Matins and Lauds are usually at 6:45, then Mass followed by a Thanksgiving for about 20minutes. The Sister will then return to her hermitage for the first meal of the day. She will remain in her hermitage until Vespers which is about 6 pm. After Vespers she will have her second meal in her hermitage and remain in the hermitage until morning. Each Sister has her own oratory in her hermitage with the Blessed Sacrament.

If you would like I could mail you a little brochure on their founding, their spirit and their life in general. Please e-mail me privately with an address if you would like this. You're right there is very little on the web about them. They always seem very reluctant to have any information about themselves on the web.

Here are some addresses you might find helpful for your trip to Europe.

Monasterio de Belen - Cartuja Nuestrea Senora de la Defension - Carretera Jerez Algeciras, km4 Spain telephone: 34/956 15 64 65

Monasterio Santa Maria Reina - Sigena Spain - E-22231 Villanueva de Sigena (Huesca) telephone 34/974 57 81 58

Kloster Maria im Paradies - Kinderalm Austria - A-5621 Sankt Veit im Pongau - Tel. 43/(0)64 15 70 22

Monastero Madonna del Deserto - Monte Camporeggiano Italy - 1-06020 Mocaiana (PG) Tel. 39/075 925
59 48

MONKS: MONASTERO DELL'ASSUNTA INCORONATA - MONTE CORONA ITALY - I-06019 UMBERTIDE (PG) - TEL. 39/075 941 35 48

Hope this was helpful.

AccountDeleted

Does anyone know who the contact person is for the Livingston Manor community? I am curious since they seem to lead a hermit lifestyle. I am probably too old for them, but if they consider individuals then they might think of me. Father Romano mentioned them to me but I didn't know anything about them before reading some of the posts here on phatmass. Boy, I love this phorum so much!! There is always so much information here. :rolleyes:

genesisweavers

[quote name='nunsense' post='1477647' date='Mar 15 2008, 04:14 PM']Does anyone know who the contact person is for the Livingston Manor community? I am curious since they seem to lead a hermit lifestyle. I am probably too old for them, but if they consider individuals then they might think of me. Father Romano mentioned them to me but I didn't know anything about them before reading some of the posts here on phatmass. Boy, I love this phorum so much!! There is always so much information here. :rolleyes:[/quote]
You should contact the Prioress. Her name is Sister Amena. I must say she is an extraordinary woman but not always very prompt answering correspondence. I had asked once about a woman who was interested in their community who was 48 at the time. Sister Amena said - we would not stand in her way. I think what she means is - if all else is in place they would over look the age. But that's my interpretation. Blessings.

your brother
john

genesisweavers

[quote name='velveteenbunny' post='1477966' date='Mar 16 2008, 02:30 AM']That was very helpful, genesisweavers! Thank you![/quote]

FOR NUNSENSE AND VELVETEEN RABBIT:

I have a friend in Maine who was a Carmelite for many years. When she asked if she could live in a more solitary environment the permission was refused. A lot happened - to cut to the chase - she ended up living in Maine where she found her solitary life. What she also found (to her great surprise) was a cluster of other seekers who also did the same thing. Some had been religious for years and when they asked for more solitude they were denied. So they responded to the promptings of the Spirit and went to Maine. All of these women live independently except one who started a community of hermits. This Sister had also been a Carmelite. If you want to e-mail me privately and I can put you in touch with my friend. Her name is Theresa.

For Velveteen rabbit: check out this website: [url="http://www.villanuevadesigena.com/Album%20Sigena/index.htm"]http://www.villanuevadesigena.com/Album%20Sigena/index.htm[/url]
It has many photos of one of the Bethlehem monasteries in Spain. It's an ancient medieval abbey taken over by the Bethlehem Sisters. The other Bethlehem monastery in Spain (Jerez) was a Carthusian monastery until fairly recently.

your brother
john

[quote name='velveteenbunny' post='1477530' date='Mar 15 2008, 02:41 AM']:bump:

I'm leaving very soon and my itinerary is far from finalized: only that I'll be in Spain, Italy, Austria and Ireland and the UK. But when it is finalized, and if this sort of thing is kosher (or even just possible) ... who would I contact? How... fax? Phone? I've no idea how to go about this sort of thing or how realistic it is. I just think I"ll be really disappointed if I don't at least try to find a way to visit, however briefly.[/quote]
PAX
i see you are in Canada..well the Sisters of Bethlehem are in Canada(Quebec) ,( and the USA) as well.

But if you want any address for one of their places in Europe, i have all of them. its just that they are meant for silent retreats, no need to be discerning, and not really for 'travelers/passing through' in a B&b way, as some monasteries are. so if you wrote or called, saying that you are Catholics traveling Europe BUT would really like some quiet time and to make a retreat and observe their life a bit.that will work. The Guest master Sisters (Brothers) are VERY welcoming of all.
keep in mind many, well most, of their Communities are not easy to get to, especially by public transport, a they are way up in Mountains( dirt roads) usually, or in the middle of forest ranges, in old former Carthusian Monasteries.
Just drop me a line at let me know which address you want.-they have 15 houses in France (2 of the Houses in France are the main retreat and discernment Houses, set up for such things,as they are rather large communities), one in Italy, 2 in Spain, one in Poland, Lithuania, Germany, Belgium etc etc.
also, not all ,but most of their houses take female retreats,some are much better set up for this than others. usually i found a 2 week notice is sufficient.
( i have stayed with the Brothers and the Sisters throughout Europe, and have friends in the Community.)
Maranatha.
French is their universal language so if you speak French no matter where you are, you will get along, some can get n by in English though.
ps
i have not been on much during Holy Lent, and will mostly check mail after Holy Week.
oh and 'Margaret Clare', who knows allot about them, and has discerned with them in France, should be back online after Pascha Sunday.
- PPS and they seem to love faxes.
the below address are from 2002 and are subject to have been changed
and the first below one is a bit easier to access and has more place for retreats.
also note that their mailing address are not always the EXACT physical address of the Monastery.
and never call or arrive on Mondays

Monasterio Santa Maria Reina
Sigina
SPAINE
Villanueva de Signa(Huesca)

(dioceses of Barbastro--Monzon)
TEL: 34/(9) 74 57 81 58

--------------------
Monasterio de Belen
Cartuja Nuestra Senora de la DEfension
Ctra Jerez Algeciras,
km4
SPAIN
E-11406
Jerz de la Frontera
(Diocese of Jerez)
-
TEl: 34/956 15 64 65
-
---------------------------------------
Monastero Madonna del Deserto
Monte Comporeggiano
ITALY
I-06020 Mocaiana

TEL: 39/(075) 925 59 48
in italy if you get to Umbertide, (north of Assisi/Perugia), then get a 'taxi' up the mountain,east of Umbertide should work, if its too muddy, an hour walk should do.

--------------
KLoster Maria im Paradies
Kinderlam
A-5621
Sankt Veit im Pongua
AUSTRIA
tel; 43/(0) 64 15 70 22
( diocese of Salzburg)
-

Edited by EJames2

i know this thread is 'Sisters" but i dont want to start a whole Bethlehem 'Brothers' thread too..
From MY Flickr account, ( i took some of the the photos, and have permission for the others, so dont worry)
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2345/2344697270_c804f122c5_o.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/2343866375_119f8f1fa9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2343865813_2a6e3ce1bd.jpg[/img]
The Rest are here
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24533989@N02/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/24533989@N02/[/url]

Edited by EJames2

• 1 month later...

a new photo/ and video mix of the Monastic Community (Brothers) of Bethlehem, the Assumption of the Bl. Virgin Mary
[url="http://vocation-station.blogspot.com/2008/02/monastic-community-of-bethlehem-and.html"]http://vocation-station.blogspot.com/2008/...hlehem-and.html[/url]
-
stayed tuned for one on the Sisters..soon

• 5 months later...

FAMILLE MONASTIQUE DE BETHLEEM, DE L'ASSOMPTION DE LA VIERGE ET DE SAINT BRUNO
The 'Monastic Family of Bethlehem and the Assumption of the Virgin Mary'

Video-In silence and rest is your salvation:Isaiah 30-Video
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOI1ocIWlSE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOI1ocIWlSE[/url]

Edited by EJames2