An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CFR Postulants
[img]http://www.franciscanfriars.com/images2/postulants.jpg[/img]

OCD Postulants.anything with a tie....NOt my favourite..
[img]http://www.discalcedcarmelites.com/sitebuilder/images/new_postulants_2006-184x244.jpg[/img]

ohh they are Sisters of mercy Postulants..interesting
[url="http://www.rsmofalma.org/formation/postulancy/postulancy.html"]http://www.rsmofalma.org/formation/postula...postulancy.html[/url]

and here are some nice Photos of a traditionalist Community Postulancy to Novitate and professions Ceremony
[color="#FF0000"]sorry- phatmass does not link to trad sites for any reason - cmom[/color]

AlterDominicus

[quote name='veritas99' post='1083740' date='Oct 4 2006, 12:16 PM']
What's a "kick pleat""? We had a pleat in the front and back, it was kind of a pain to iron. When I would iron my jumper I think I would make it worse. Heather would jsut laugh at me. The slip was long and alomt like a jumper itself and made of cotton. It had two pockets in the front. Then our blouse went over the slip and the blouse buttoned in the back. Then we put our jumper on that had a small zipper on the left side. The slit in our jumper was by the pleat so we could get into our pockets. Jsut inside the the slit there was a little loop that we could string our keys on. In my grey jumper the slit was onthe right and in my black one the slit was on the left. Heather's wasn't like that though. I would have an identity crisis every sunday and monday because I would be trying to force my hand into a pocket that wasn't there. It was amusing.

What are "nun skirts"?

The trick is remember to take your chapstick out of you slip pocket or out of one of the many pockets in your habit ( for those who wear them) before throwing it in the laundry. In the bathroom by where we throw our laundry there are gentle reminders about removing your chaptstick and pens from pockets.

The canonical novices said they were so excited to receive the habit because now they have more pockets. They liked to make fun of heather and I with our two little pockets.
[/quote]

Honestly I think there should be a class taught in the convents, "Theology of the Habits" and "Mechnism of Posto Outfito" :lol_roll:

Boy I can tell you I'm going to have reallllllllllllll fun in the future.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1164263' date='Jan 14 2007, 09:34 AM']
I had posted about the postulant outfit I liked the most before but didn't give a very good picture of it. Even now, reading through, it is still my favorite. I still like that they don't have the veil and I especially like that it's floor length.

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/356917647_55e1741801_o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/356917646_564508dd23_o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/356917645_8a7ef95bf9_o.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

+

I think these are my favorite postulant outfits, too! I wonder if there will be CFR sisters in Italy someday/soon... I can't believe there are so many postulants?! Is this from this year? How many sisters are there now?

[quote name='Emile James' post='1164294' date='Jan 14 2007, 11:26 AM']

and here are some nice Photos of a traditionalist Community Postulancy to Novitate and professions Ceremony

[/quote]

+

Are they in communion with Rome?

Postulants, according to canon law, are to dress in lay clothing. That said, a uniform-type thing seems very appropriate. I don't think looks should be taken much into consideration. Having been a postulant at OLAM, I can say that the jumper with blouse and veil was 1) extremely comfortable, 2) extremely conducive to work 3) no hinderance to prayer. As long as you can work, pray, and play in it, it works :)

well I think something simple like the PCPA's jumper (which is my fave postulant outfit) and a simple veil as I like that it is uniform and there's no trying to figure out what to wear etc (as if they have time to decide) also it begins to help the person prepare for religious life. My community the aspiriant/postulant wears a white habit that is like the professed only it does not have the scapular and we wear a simple white veil (without the crownband)that shows a little bit of hair, black tights and shoes.

[quote name='Veritas' post='1064613' date='Sep 16 2006, 10:21 PM']
+

Some postulant outfits are notoriously unattractive (e.g. [url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/sitefs.shtml"]http://www.sistersofmary.org/sitefs.shtml[/url] ). Generally speaking, the vest or jumper and shin-length skirt isn't very pleasing to the eye. While the goal of a religious isn't to be attractive, do we have a duty to attire ourselves in a more classically beautiful way? For example, contrast the postulant outfits with the professed sisters -the Dominican habit, which is BEAUTIFUL-- at the SMME link. As far as I know, the postulant outfits generally don't have spiritual significance as e.g. the veil and scapular do. With that in mind, as a theoretical question, would it be beneficial for communities to change postulant outfits? If so, how?

Do you think it would be beneficial for vocations/postulants/the Church to see more postulants alternately attired (I think of how cool cassocks are, e.g.)?

**Oh, and what community has your favorite POSTULANT'S outfit (just for fun)?
[/quote]

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1164315' date='Jan 14 2007, 10:08 AM']
Are the CFR's required to wear beards?
[/quote]
No they are not required or regulated to
!!but!! its expected as a part of a Capuchin tradition/custom.of simplicity, poverty..besides its nice to fit in with your bros i suppose.. of course some men just cant push out a beard!
[img]http://www.franciscanfriars.com/apostolates/images/STApic4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/357412275_db1ddfaf18.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.franciscanfriars.com/photo_gallery_actual/images/founders.jpg[/img]

Edited by Emile James

Sister Mary Catharine: What is the postulant Cape? Thanks :)

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1065812' date='Sep 18 2006, 07:52 AM']
I don't know where people got the idea that the postulant cape was a "practice garb" for the habit because I've yet to see a novice who didn't practically have her hands glued under her scapular from the 1st minute. In fact, you can always tell new novices because they are so good at it! :P:

I know several traditional communites and none wear a cape; most wear a jumper...oops. SLEEVELESS DRESS for our friendly Brits....the only group I know of is the CMRI's and they aren't in the Church.

I like the cape myself but as I look back on all the stuff I did as a postulant I think it would have been in the way most of the time. I probably would've gotten it stuck in the offset press! :shock:

God bless you!
SMC
[/quote]

[quote name='Veritas' post='1164331' date='Jan 14 2007, 11:21 AM']

+

Are they in communion with Rome?
[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------
They would roundaboutly say Yes, but i see they are Society of St Pius V, a breakoff of SSPX and seem to be sedevacatist...but i should have looked further before posting, gthey do keep the nice traditional Ceremony though...:)

here is part of there entrance requirments
"[i]A candidate must belong to the traditional Catholic Faith and not be associated with the Novus Ordo Church, schismatic groups, or groups with doubtful sacraments."[/i]
-
[mod]Link removed. Please do not link to orders not in communion with the Holy See. --Era Might[/mod]

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Emile James' post='1164495' date='Jan 14 2007, 04:54 PM']
No they are not required or regulated to
!!but!! its expected as a part of a Capuchin tradition/custom.of simplicity, poverty..besides its nice to fit in with your bros i suppose.. of course some men just cant push out a beard!

[/quote]

From the CFR's I met, I was quite under the impression that they [i]are[/i] required to grow beards. (ahem, *edit* the [b]male[/b] CFRs, I mean... just so no one calls me on that!)

At least, one of the brothers I met was talking about when "all" of the postulants were growing out their facial hair.

[quote name='Emile James' post='1164509' date='Jan 14 2007, 05:10 PM']
-----------------------------------------------------------
They would roundaboutly say Yes, but i see they are Society of St Pius V, a breakoff of SSPX and seem to be sedevacatist...but i should have looked further before posting, gthey do keep the nice traditional Ceremony though...:)

[/quote]

Pius V Society = baaaad news.

Edited by Totus Tuus

I don't know about the esthetics. I think the postulant outfit just needs to be modest and practical as well as making a clear statement that one has embraced a different lifestyle. I'm happy about the veil.

[url="http://www.sisters-of-reparation.org/Vocations/FormationPostulancyOne.htm"]http://www.sisters-of-reparation.org/Vocat...stulancyOne.htm[/url]

I couldn't get a picture up so I just posted the site. I like the simplicity ot he Sisters of Reparation jumper and veil and that one wears grey for ordinary work just like the Sisters.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1164511' date='Jan 14 2007, 03:13 PM']
From the CFR's I met, I was quite under the impression that they [i]are[/i] required to grow beards. (ahem, *edit* the [b]male[/b] CFRs, I mean... just so no one calls me on that!)

At least, one of the brothers I met was talking about when "all" of the postulants were growing out their facial hair.
[/quote]
well one of their Founding members didnt and still dosnt have a beard as you see in the pics..heck 2 Friars wear runners all the time....so Regulations and required, are flexible as they should be for special cases...
well, when i was around them, , and working for Fr Groeschel, i still understood it as [b]encouraged custom[/b],as it would be seen as part of the habit of Capuchins.. in a way.. but not actually 'required' .ie, not in Satutes/Constitution etc..but you would have a hrad time finding a razor in the Friary for sure!..they wouldnt reject you if you cant grow one, or have a bad skin condition...so, i still wouldnt say required.....semantics?perhaps//for sure ther would not of been a length regulation
:) Peace and goodness, E-J.

[i]"43 The clothing of the friars is a gray tunic with a large pointed hood, cord, sandals and a rosary. The friars are encouraged to have a plain beard. If any clothing or footwear is worn with the habit, it should be consistent with the color and the character of our religious garb." PGp 43. CFR Constitutions.[/i]

Edited by Emile James

franciscanheart

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1164315' date='Jan 14 2007, 12:08 PM']
Are the CFR's required to wear beards?
[/quote]
As far as I know it is pretty much required. Obviously, as will be mentioned later in this post, there are exceptions to every rule.

[quote name='Veritas' post='1164331' date='Jan 14 2007, 01:21 PM']
+

I think these are my favorite postulant outfits, too! I wonder if there will be CFR sisters in Italy someday/soon... I can't believe there are so many postulants?! Is this from this year? How many sisters are there now?
[/quote]
That would be great! The brothers are in Europe and Honduras already. ^_^

No, this is not this year's postulant class. This was the year before. This year there are five, though, and that's five times as many as there were only a few years ago!! :D:

I don't think I ever got a firm number while I was there :lol: but I think the average was about 24-25 now. ^_^

My count gives me 24 but I could be forgetting someone... :unsure:

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1164511' date='Jan 14 2007, 05:13 PM']

[/quote]
That's what I understand too. I believe it was Fr Bernard who was talking about it at a Youth 2000 when I came to understand that...

[quote name='Emile James' post='1164562' date='Jan 14 2007, 05:55 PM']
well one of their Founding members didnt and still dosnt have a beard as you see in the pics..heck 2 Friars wear runners all the time....so Regulations and required, are flexible as they should be for special cases...
well, when i was around them, , and working for Fr Groeschel, i still understood it as [b]encouraged custom[/b],as it would be seen as part of the habit of Capuchins.. in a way.. but not actually 'required' .ie, not in Satutes/Constitution etc..but you would have a hrad time finding a razor in the Friary for sure!..they wouldnt reject you if you cant grow one, or have a bad skin condition...so, i still wouldnt say required.....semantics?perhaps//for sure ther would not of been a length regulation
:) Peace and goodness, E-J.

[i]"43 The clothing of the friars is a gray tunic with a large pointed hood, cord, sandals and a rosary. The friars are encouraged to have a plain beard. If any clothing or footwear is worn with the habit, it should be consistent with the color and the character of our religious garb." PGp 43. CFR Constitutions.[/i]
[/quote]
I know for certain that one of the brothers is actually unable to grow a beard. It's just not in his make-up to produce one like you will see on Fr Groeschel.

HeavenlyCalling

I like the OLAM postulents outfits, and the ones at Lockport. My favorite, however, are the old fashioned ones, the jumper with the small cape thing ( it has a name and I cant remember it ) and a veil, I even think the bonnets the postulents used to wear are kinda cool.