An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dominicansoul

I love the Nashville postulants uniform. But I enjoyed the SMME's because they are blue. The only problem I had is, I wished we could wear a postulant veil, like the cloistered Dominican postulants do. As a postulant, we were making that transition into the convent and didn't have to think about make-up or wearing stylish clothing. BUT we still had to deal with our hair!!!

Edited by dominicansoul

RosaMystica

[img]http://x6e.xanga.com/2918300668476202320130/b156962119.jpg[/img]

I love the SMME postulant outfits but I do have to admit that the Dominican Sisters of the Heart of Jesus are my favorite. I really like the back jumper and veil.

These Passionists also use a black jumper/veil which looks very nice, although I always think a mock turtleneck ultimately looks neater than a buttondown shirt.

[url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/Blog/?p=49"]http://www.passionistnuns.org/Blog/?p=49[/url]

VeniteAdoremus

[img]http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v238/43/68/21203475/n21203475_31321830_848.jpg[/img]

St. Catherina of Siena, cutting off her hair before being clothed as a Dominican tertiary...

Now [i]that's[/i] a pleasing postulant outfit :)

I should write to my aspired congregation...

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='sr_betsy' post='1611092' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:46 AM']really....does it matter? :unsure:[/quote]

No, not really.

It's fun though :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1611155' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:43 PM']No, not really.

It's fun though :)[/quote]

+

Yep. :D

I'm just jumping in here, but the postulant outfits I have seen are hideous. I honestly would have a problem wearing one because they would make me feel like a six year old. I am not one to care about clothes a ton either, but they are pretty crappy imo...of course, maybe they should be...

DominicanPhilosophy

Well, the humility is all a part of the life, too, so even if they don't appear stylish to the world, they are pragmatic and show the simplicity of the lifestyle.

DiscerningSoul

The Lockport 'jumpers' were very comforable. I think they look good too. They sew all there own.

Saint Therese

I agree, Jess. I think a good postulant's jumper should be somewhat aesthetically pleasing without being stylish, because how one looks would reflect on the community.

• 8 months later...
laetitia crucis

I know this is a rather old post, but I found it somewhat amusing and very interesting. :D

For the most part, I think the postulant habit should at least be very modest and have ankle-length hems. And of course, one should be able to work and pray in it without distraction and complications.

It would be nice to have a veil of some sort in preparation for the full habit -- that way if you're in an order that wears a veil (especially one that has the ears covered with the full veil) you'll get over the "I-can't-move-my-head-without-moving-my-entire-upper-body-because-I-have-a-veil-on" stage MUCH faster! :lol_pound:

Personally, I really like the CFRs postulant habits, and the Benedictines of Mary postulant habits (though I couldn't tell of those were ankle-length). :thumbsup: When I was a postulant with another order, I tended to feel (and look) like a Mormon (no offense!). :blush: :ohno: I don't mean to sound superficial, but I would definitely choose jumpers over the darker skirt + white blouse look any day.

lc

FiereMargriet

I agree. Personally, I really like jumpers: they're modest but they can be quite feminine and fashionable in a conservative sense. I love the postulant habit of the Summit Dominicans which has a pretty white veil. A few threads back there was a discussion on an O.Carm. community of nuns which also had very nice postulant outfits (I'm too lazy to go find the link :blush: ). I think it's good that the postulant clothes consist of what are still "lay" clothes like a jumper or skirt but also look and feel like something more modest and "old-fashioned" than everyday clothes.

Guest Laoiseneasa

[quote name='FiereMargriet' post='1837195' date='Apr 16 2009, 09:56 AM']I agree. Personally, I really like jumpers: they're modest but they can be quite feminine and fashionable in a conservative sense. I love the postulant habit of the Summit Dominicans which has a pretty white veil. A few threads back there was a discussion on an O.Carm. community of nuns which also had very nice postulant outfits (I'm too lazy to go find the link :blush: ). I think it's good that the postulant clothes consist of what are still "lay" clothes like a jumper or skirt but also look and feel like something more modest and "old-fashioned" than everyday clothes.[/quote]

I agree that the subject of clothing may not be the most important aspect of the postulancy in any order but at the same time the clothes should at least be comfortable and there should be a veil of some sort for exactly the reason mentioned here - the Postulants clothing should also prepare the Postulant for life in the full habit - hope this makes sense - God Bless

AccountDeleted

I don't know if anyone has posted this one - but I like it - the postulant outfit from the Sound of Music - it has a short black cape - and I like the white band on the veil.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/annierosha/sound_of_music_maria_nun_julie_andrews.jpg[/img]