An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest hermanita

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1326165198' post='2366145']
hm... the whole thread was started over my community's postulant outfit. I actually think they're beautiful (maybe an acquired taste?) :unsure:
Anyway, the outfit doesn't really matter at all- I'm just excited to take the first step toward uniting my entire being with Christ under the mantle of the Blessed Mother! :nun1:
[/quote]

I'm with you. Although I think it really doesn't matter as long as it is modest and says you are in a community. especially for those who work in an apostolate during the postulancy.

I don't think any of the communities I've looked at had outfits for postulants, they just wore their own clothes. But I think postulants outfits are like full habits, many see beauty in them but others don't. I like the idea of postulant outfits but I think they should be plain and simple and if possible reflect the full habit of the community.

[quote name='Lil'Nun' timestamp='1326226930' post='2366483']
Ok I typed C O O L and got razzle dazzle what's going on? Is this like that coagulated milk / C H E E S E thing? Or talk like a pirate day?
[/quote]

BINGO!

I don't think I've ever seen truly ugly postulant outfits--no stripes and polka dots together or anything :hehe2:
I want to wear one for the practical reason of not having to pick out what to wear everyday especially if that day begins at 5am-ish. Same for the postulant veil, so I don't have to mess with it or worry if it looks greasy. I don't really care what it looks like as long as I can do what I need to in it, and hopefully it's comfortable.

Here's my 2 cents. There's a difference between "aestetically pleasing" and fashionable. In my opinion, a postulant's uniform is great - it avoids focusing on clothes and unifies the new postulants. All the communities I am looking at have some form of uniform for postulants. I recently saw a fairly young sister who was not wearing a habit at a conference. While she was a professed sister, the example still works. How to put this nicely? she was "very well endowed" and I could see many of the men at the conference more interested in her figure than anything else. The fact that she was wearing a thin polo shirt only exacerbated this. A sensible and attractive uniform which flatters all figures is not difficult to make - witness the Nashies and several others that have been discussed on this thread. The little cape which we often associate with a traditional postulants attire covers "endowments" and is simply traditional. I don't really care if the uniform is a jumper or skirt and blouse so long as it is uniform and doesn't call attention to curves. I'm not suggesting that sisters try to disguise the fact that they are women but dressing modestly doesn't necessarily mean you are trying to hide what you are. I also like the idea of a little veil - some postulant outfits look like school girl uniforms and a veil clearly indicates that you are a religious and not a senior at Sacred Heart High. In looking at the pixs of postulant classes at Nashville and Ann Arbor - some of those girls have lots of hair - it must be a pain to blow dry and style in limited time. A little veil would avoid this issue.

Strictlyinkblot

Most places I visited postulants wear their own clothes but in the words of one Abbess 'Nothing that would distract in choir'. Personally I do like the idea of some kind of a uniform as it makes you feel more like you're part of the community, even though you're only at the beginning stages. And I would want to look neat and modest.

Ehhh... I think, especially with active communities, it should be presentable, not fashionable, and workable. So... yes. Aesthetically pleasing mostly with active communities.

I voted "depends"

• 7 months later...
dymphnamaria

[quote name='Emma' timestamp='1326297841' post='2366936']
I also like the idea of a little veil - some postulant outfits look like school girl uniforms and a veil clearly indicates that you are a religious and not a senior at Sacred Heart High. In looking at the pixs of postulant classes at Nashville and Ann Arbor - some of those girls have lots of hair - it must be a pain to blow dry and style in limited time. A little veil would avoid this issue.
[/quote]

I remember when I told some postulants that it is better that a veil would be added to the habit. The superior when she heard about it told me it is exciting to wear veil during novitiate. :)

Edit: [img]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/Postulant-in-the-Garden.jpg[/img][img]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/PCC5.jpg[/img]

The Roswell Poor Clares has a scapular-tunic like dress that is not floor length, with a white long sleeve button down collared shirt underneath. I love that it includes a small veil. I see veils used more often for postulants in contemplative communities, which makes sense, since even with a veil there is a rather large jump from the postulants getup to the full-on Poor Clare habit: undertunic, floor length habit, rope belt, wimple, and all!

Though I'd love to see active postulants with a veil, I understand what the superior said about 'moving up', dymphnamaria. It makes sense that, for active with the simple veil and no guimp/tocque/wimple, the veil is held until the novitiate. If the active postulants wore the same postulant garb as the Roswell PCCs, there would not be much to move up to, as they are already wearing a tunic-dress and veil.

I voted depends, because though we here on VS may say it doesn't matter, if you speak with lay-people who see these postulants/Sisters in their garb, it does matter to them. The postulants outfit (and the habit), for that reason, should be beautiful for those onlookers who see it, not for the individual wearer, it seems. Many will argue that the ND/DSMME do not attract people with the habit alone, but it certainly helps!

Edited by emmaberry

TheresaThoma

I was told the SMMC postulants wear a veil since Mother knew the postulants would be working in a school with younger kids. She wanted the kids to understand the postulants were "Sisters in training" not just older girls from a different school.
I particularly love the SMMC outfit. As candidates (which lasts for a couple of months) they wear a navy blue (same fabric as the habit) jumper with a white blouse. Then when they officially become postulants they get a short veil. Simple uniform but not like the habit.

Edited by TheresaThoma

I wish the postulants for my Sisters wore a veil. In the USA, they wear lay clothes since they don't have a formation program here yet but, in the Motherhouse, they wear the white long-sleeve button shirt and a black jumper. :)

AveMariaPurissima

I seem to be somewhat in a minority, but I actually do like the Ann Arbor and Nashville postulant outfits.
Here's what I'm going to be wearing: (it's the only picture I can find that shows the outfit!)
[img]http://uniradioserver.com/userfiles/images/Monasterio_Monte_Tabor_001.jpg[/img]
We wear a blue jumper, the same shade as the habit, with a white tunic underneath. The postulants have a matching blue veil. And of course, we have a miraculous medal! :) The jumper is really long -- the one day I wore it I kept tripping on it getting up from kneeling, and it was a little bit of a challenge to negotiate it with all my tasks. The Sisters told me it takes time to get used to it, so eventually I should be fine. :)

I agree about the Nashville and DSMME postulant outfits. (I think they are quite nice and functional). On a level of personal aesthetics (which really doesn't make a difference when you are wearing it only for one year) I prefer the look of a skirt and blouse with a vest to a jumper. The jumper very often makes the wearer look like they are 12. The plus of a jumper is that it is less likely to be confused with an airline stewardess when one is out and about!