An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1347247679' post='2480872']
I voted no, I think having to "put up" with the postulant outfit for however long, just makes you long that much more for the holy habit. The TOR's postulants just wear a collared white shirt, a black skirt, and a Tau Cross. The novices wear a white collared shirt, a rather unflattering jumper, and cute small white veil. Then finally when they make first vows three years in do they get to be clothed in the holy habit! If it were me, after all that time, I would think the simple Franciscan habit was the most beautiful, glorious thing on God's good earth. (the TOR's also have a heavy emphasis on penance, the "putting up" with the postulant/novice outfits would merit one quite a bit of penance to offer up for souls. :hehe2: )
[/quote]

the first TOR sister I ever met/saw was a novice so she had the "unflattering jumper" - i thought that was her for realz habit and therefore wasn't interested. silly me when i saw her a year later in full habit and was like... "oh!!" :)

• 1 year later...
Spem in alium

I like that one. :)

I do like the Sisters of Life's postulant outfit. It seems quite modest, but also flattering. It even looks nice when they jump!

tumblr_mgc2oxi98p1rwt07uo1_1280.png

Sister_Abbie

I said "Depends" for a few reasons.

a) Not all postulancy outfits are equal, and I'm sure there are some that would even make me turn up my nose.

b) I think that the outfit is a good way to speed up one's detachment from vanity, and even make the transition into the beautiful habit that much sweeter.

c) On the other hand, I really like your stance on making sure that we present ourselves in a pleasing way that brings glory to God, which usually involves not dressing like someone's spinster aunt who makes her own clothing.

Curious to know if anyone has more insight into the theological basis of these adorable, unattractive uniforms!

bernadette d

c) On the other hand, I really like your stance on making sure that we present ourselves in a pleasing way that brings glory to God, which usually involves not dressing like someone's spinster aunt who makes her own clothing.

Oh dear.....I am a spinster Aunt!!!  Only joking.

Edited by bernadette d

ChristinaTherese

Oh dear.....I am a spinster Aunt!!!  Only joking.

Okay... I thought the same thing. (I guess, technically, I am a spinster aunt who makes her own clothing anyway. Except for being only 20, that is. But that's beside the point.) Just... not to derail or anything, but I would like to point out that lots of homemade clothing is beautiful and nicer than store bought clothing, because it can be made to the wearer's taste and tailored to their particular body.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

maximillion

Have to admit to not much liking the skirt and waistcoat type outfit. Even the jumpers ( pinafore dresses in UK ) are better, IMO.

AugustineA

Yeah, even for men sometimes I see the Franciscan sandals with the dress pants. Not flattering, but hey.. One day you'll get an awesome habit. 

Swami Mommy

I like the postulant's outfit that Audrey Hepburn wore in The Nun's Story. Of course, her etheric beauty certainly enhanced the overall appearance of whatever habit she wore!

I like the postulant's outfit that Audrey Hepburn wore in The Nun's Story. Of course, her etheric beauty certainly enhanced the overall appearance of whatever habit she wore!

I liked it too -- and thought I might comment on it.  But one does have to remember that the fictional Sister Luke entered the convent in 1927 and styles were somewhat different then.

While the traditional habit, because of the long, straight line, seems to suit most women, I find the jumper/pinafore/skirt and vest sort of postulant garb looks much more dowdy and uncomfortable for most women, who aren't svelte.  The blouses seem to bunch or gap, and IMO it seems to me that a one-piece dress would be [1] easy to tailor a bit to fit the individual, and [2] simpler, in the long run, to maintain.

Of course, I'm speaking from the viewpoint of someone whose nursing school uniform took at least 20 minutes a day to assemble -- underdress with detachable collar, separate heavily starched bib and apron, all connected not with buttons but removable studs, white stockings and white shoes which had to be impeccably polished right down to the shoelaces every day.

It also helps that undoubtedly the postulant habit in The Nun's Story was designed by a costume designer.... Marjorie Best nearly won the Academy Award for her designs.... most communities don't have that good fortune!

brandelynmarie

I :love: this thread. And I'll repeat pretty much what I said in '06...at least let us wear a bandana ;)

The Children of Mary postulants & the Little Sisters of the Lamb wear bandana-esque head coverings :blush:

Kayte Postle

Something I think is interesting is looking at how each communities postulant garb relates to their habit. For example the Children of Mary's postulants wear something that is very similar to their habits. Similar style of dress, and about the same amount of fabric (not counting  their veils) so I think the transition to the habit would be very smooth for them.

On the other end, for example, you have the Carmelites of Los Angeles.  Their postulants and their novices wear skirt/vest combo that is miles different than their habits. I know their novices receive the habit a couple of months before first vows so that they have time to learn to be graceful in them. =) 

And of course there are communities in the middle, like the Alton Franciscans. They go from a postulant jumper to a dress style habit. The jumper and habit are pretty much the same length, and amount of fabric, but they are distinctly different in appearance.

Not saying one is better than the other, but I just think it's something that is really interesting to look at.

maximillion

I'll let you have your bandanna, I wear them quite a bit myself.

Are they scapulars over a tunic the CoMary possies wear? Or is that an apron thingy?

I like them but they seem too close to being in the full habit for my liking. As I have said before I like there to be a real difference when the time comes for Clothing. I would prefer not secular clothes, but a simple skirt and long sleeved blouse, a bandanna, in colours in the same range as the eventual habit.

The following is good, but without the veil, just a bandanna.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Uxr1s_65ejI/ScGIW-Rdj8I/AAAAAAAABtM/ESDLwhjF9uE/s1600-h/IMG_3096.JPG

Edited by maximillion

brandelynmarie

I'm thinking they are actual scapulars...altho I have seen photos with aspirants? postulants? in jumpers, too...but they have bandanas until they become novices...er, well, I think :blush: :nun: