An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

maximillion

Yes, these days with the addition of Aspirancy/Candidature there is an extra transition and a whole extra opportunity for a uniform of some description.

If I were starting a community today ( :saint2:  :bounce: ) I would have the Aspirant/Candidate stay in modest, plain, secular clothes untill Postulancy I think.

I do LOVE the Kappa as worn by Amish people and if I could find a way of including that, maybe for chapel during aspirancy.........

Ah, I do love this thread. It lets me have all my dreams come true..... :cloud9:  :cloud9:  :cloud9:

Kayte Postle

I'm thinking they are actual scapulars...altho I have seen photos with aspirants? postulants? in jumpers, too...but they have bandanas until they become novices...er, well, I think :blush: :nun:

They're not scapulars exactly. The apron thingys (nice words max =) ) are wider than their scapulars and they have a band on the sides that keeps it closed. Their scapulars are also made of wool, and the postulants apron thingy is just cotton. Actually I think the postulant apron and the work scapular are exactly the same, except that the novices/professed have a hood on the work scapular. The jumpers you've seen in some of the pictures is the postulant grab from the earlier days of the order. Aspirants now wear lay clothing and the purple bandana.  =)

Edited by Kayte Postle

brandelynmarie

Ah, thank you Kayte! I may go on a private retreat with them sometime this summer...it will be interesting to see all of this. :nun:

Kayte Postle

Ah, thank you Kayte! I may go on a private retreat with them sometime this summer...it will be interesting to see all of this. :nun:

Ahh that's wonderful! They live just down the street from me so I've gotten to know them pretty well over the past few years.

maximillion

How I wish there were more Sisters and Monks as a visible presence where I live.

The day before yesterday there were 2 Petit Freres de Jesus walking over the bridge into town and I almost went over the rail staring at them. I was going in the opposite direction and on the other side of the road. They had big packs on their backs and though I raced back to see if I could see them somewhere, they were gone. :cry:

I occasionally see the extern from the PCC's but only rarely.

• 1 month later...

How I wish there were more Sisters and Monks as a visible presence where I live.

The day before yesterday there were 2 Petit Freres de Jesus walking over the bridge into town and I almost went over the rail staring at them. I was going in the opposite direction and on the other side of the road. They had big packs on their backs and though I raced back to see if I could see them somewhere, they were gone. :cry:

I occasionally see the extern from the PCC's but only rarely.

Are you in the Midlands, by any chance?