An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father?

catholicinsd

OK, so about half the people at my confirmation reception were all like, "Brandon, you should be a priest." Yeah. I have thought about from time to time, but never given the idea more than just a passing glance. Yeah. I'm confused kinda I guess. Discernment starts now.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1065652' date='Sep 17 2006, 09:43 PM']
OK, so about half the people at my confirmation reception were all like, "Brandon, you should be a priest." Yeah. I have thought about from time to time, but never given the idea more than just a passing glance. Yeah. I'm confused kinda I guess. Discernment starts now.
[/quote]

+

:bigpray: Prayers.

Make sure to check-out the "discernment for guys" thread pinned above. :)

+

Oh, and by the way, that's AWESOME!

(As a woman, I'm afraid I won't be much help to you... but there are a lot of guys around, who know about seminary, as I'm sure you know. So, hopefully they'll get this soon!)

[quote name='Veritas' post='1065678' date='Sep 17 2006, 10:05 PM']
+

Oh, and by the way, that's AWESOME!
(As a woman, I'm afraid I won't be much help to you... but there are a lot of guys around, who know about seminary, as I'm sure you know. So, hopefully they'll get this soon!)
[/quote]

:bump:

puellapaschalis

Can I poach you to come and be a priest in the Netherlands? The language isn't that hard and whilst we've already got some excellent seminarians and candidates, more are always welcome ;)

*runs from the screaming hoardes of USAns for trying to pinch their menfolk*

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1066193' date='Sep 18 2006, 06:22 PM']
Can I poach you to come and be a priest in the Netherlands? The language isn't that hard and whilst we've already got some excellent seminarians and candidates, more are always welcome ;)

*runs from the screaming hoardes of USAns for trying to pinch their menfolk*

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

I don't know any Dutch, sorry. However Queen Bea seems cool.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066590' date='Sep 19 2006, 05:12 PM']
I don't know any Dutch, sorry. However Queen Bea seems cool.
[/quote]

Oh pfff. I didn't know any Dutch when I moved here either and I'm pretty good at it now ;) Beatrix isn't half bad: I've heard from a seminarian friend of mine that she's anti-Catholic and has never, ever been nice to Cardinal Simonis, but that's hearsay. Her daughter-in-law (Crown Princess Maxima) is Catholic, although the wedding was in a Protestant church and their two daughters are being brought up as such.

But all [i]right[/i]. If you're sure ;)

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1065668' date='Sep 17 2006, 11:53 PM']
Ok, so I'm a tad confused. Could someone please explain the application process and stuff to me?
[/quote]

The first thing to do is to call the vocations director of your diocese, or the vocations director of an order you are interested in and let him know you're interested in the priesthood (let him know if you are just thinking about starting discernment, or how long you've been thinking about it.) The vocations director isn't just the boss of all the seminarians; he's there to help anyone discern their own call to any vocation.
He'll probably want to schedule a meeting with you, to get to know you, and possibly set you on a good path for discernment. For me, the actual application process involved a long application that I had to fill out, complete with medical records and proof of reception of sacraments. The important thing to remember is nothing is final. Most seminarians are in the seminary because they believe God [i]might[/i] be calling them to the priesthood. It's a continuous path of discernment, even through the seminary life. God Bless you for considering the call...

I'm actually taking a few years off from the seminary, and I'm going to a community college right now, but this is the [url="http://rockvoc.org/"]site[/url] for the diocese i was studying for. They have a link to get a free cd on vocations, and its actually pretty helpful.

Edited by Didymus

[quote name='Didymus' post='1066718' date='Sep 19 2006, 01:52 PM']
The first thing to do is to call the vocations director of your diocese, or the vocations director of an order you are interested in and let him know you're interested in the priesthood (let him know if you are just thinking about starting discernment, or how long you've been thinking about it.) The vocations director isn't just the boss of all the seminarians; he's there to help anyone discern their own call to any vocation.
He'll probably want to schedule a meeting with you, to get to know you, and possibly set you on a good path for discernment. For me, the actual application process involved a long application that I had to fill out, complete with medical records and proof of reception of sacraments. The important thing to remember is nothing is final. Most seminarians are in the seminary because they believe God [i]might[/i] be calling them to the priesthood. It's a continuous path of discernment, even through the seminary life. God Bless you for considering the call...

I'm actually taking a few years off from the seminary, and I'm going to a community college right now, but this is the [url="http://rockvoc.org/"]site[/url] for the diocese i was studying for. They have a link to get a free cd on vocations, and its actually pretty helpful.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'm in my junior of High School, and if I would decide to attend Seminary, when would I have to tell my diocese? Also who pays for it?

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066752' date='Sep 19 2006, 12:45 PM']
Thanks. I'm in my junior of High School, and if I would decide to attend Seminary, when would I have to tell my diocese? Also who pays for it?
[/quote]

+

This I can help you with from my experiences with Seminarian friends. It depends on if you are interested in diocescen priesthood or religious life, possibly including priesthood.

If diocescen:

Q. Who pays for it?
A. Totally depends on the diocese. Ask the VD.

Q. When do you "tell" them?
A. They are involved in the application process --you have to be approved. In other words, it's not an automatic, "I want to do this, so I get to do this" sort of thing. You are a seminarian FOR the diocese. Contact the diocescen VD now --it's not too soon.

If religious:
Start looking at communities and talk to the VDs there. For ideas, ask us, or contact the VD for your diocese.

Check the website for your diocese. There should be more info there as well.
Pax.

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='Veritas' post='1066800' date='Sep 19 2006, 03:37 PM']
+

This I can help you with from my experiences with Seminarian friends. It depends on if you are interested in diocescen priesthood or religious life, possibly including priesthood.

If diocescen:

Q. Who pays for it?
A. Totally depends on the diocese. Ask the VD.

Q. When do you "tell" them?
A. They are involved in the application process --you have to be approved. In other words, it's not an automatic, "I want to do this, so I get to do this" sort of thing. You are a seminarian FOR the diocese. Contact the diocescen VD now --it's not too soon.

If religious:
Start looking at communities and talk to the VDs there. For ideas, ask us, or contact the VD for your diocese.

Check the website for your diocese. There should be more info there as well.
Pax.
[/quote]

I know I want to stay, here in this diocese, but there's only a couple of male communities and I wasn't really into them. So I guess I contact the diocese. Also my grades aren't the best, could that be a hidderence?

Edited by catholicinsd

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066752' date='Sep 19 2006, 02:45 PM']
[/quote]

Some dioceses and religious orders sometimes put on vocations fairs or retreats. The Diocese of Rockford has one in St. Charles, IL in February and an annual Vocations camp in the summer.

As to the paying, my diocese required me to pay for the first two years and they pay for the last six (depending on how many years we needed with regards to previous college education) There's always people at parishes willing to help seminarians out as well. A friend of mine went around the diocese to ask for financial assistance, and it has so far worked out well for him.

But then again, I know many dioceses pay for everything if you study for them (some of them, however, require you to fill out a loan form every semester which they don't require payment if you were ordained)

I always found it pretty confusing to get all the finance stuff down, and thats why the VD always said it will be taken care of somehow.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066806' date='Sep 19 2006, 03:45 PM']
I know I want to stay, here in this diocese, but there's only a couple of male communities and I wasn't really into them. So I guess I contact the diocese. Also my grades aren't the best, could that be a hidderence?
[/quote]

grades aren't usually a problem at all. As long as your willing to work towards the education... it's not like the schooling is the final end. The main purpose is the spiritual formation.

Edited by Didymus

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066806' date='Sep 19 2006, 01:45 PM']
[/quote]

+

It could be, but it will just depend on your situation. Regardless, the VD will probably want you to work abit harder to get them up since seminary is hard-work! But fun, they tell me too! See if they send your guys (guys from your diocese) to minor sem like at SJV (I'm a HUGE fan of SJV Seminary). In that case, you need to be accepted to the University as well.

Check it out at: www.vianney.net

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='Veritas' post='1066824' date='Sep 19 2006, 03:55 PM']
+

It could be, but it will just depend on your situation. Regardless, the VD will probably want you to work abit harder to get them up since seminary is hard-work! But fun, they tell me too! See if they send your guys (guys from your diocese) to minor sem like at SJV (I'm a HUGE fan of SJV Seminary). In that case, you need to be accepted to the University as well.

Check it out at: www.vianney.net
[/quote]

My diocese has seminarians all over the place. And I's really like to attend St. Thomas, which has a Seminary called St. Paul's.

Edited by catholicinsd