An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father?

catholicinsd

The great thing about a vocation is that it's not your decision alone. You submit yourself to the Church, and the Church determines whether or not you have a vocation. That's what Seminary is for. Maybe you do have a vocation, maybe you don't. But you don't have to be perfect to give it a try and find out. St. John Vianney couldn't read Latin, and that was a HUGE deal back then. He was barely ordained.

LouisvilleFan

I read something on one of these boards regarding discernment about giving your heart over to the Immaculate Heart of Mary so that she may unite your will with God's to help you find what it is you're called to do (or something to that effect... I don't remember exactly how they phrased it). But after reading it, I couldn't help but laugh because if I know anything, I'm pretty darn sure that if I submitted completely to do whatever Mary would desire of me, I'd be headed straight for the priesthood -- no questions asked! :)

Maybe my thinking that is a sign that I am called to be a priest, but on the other hand, for some reason I just can't picture Mary specifically calling someone to marriage if their love for God is so great that they completely sacrifice their own will for God's. Is that an unhealthy attitude to have?

I definitely respect marriage and don't consider it a "lower" calling, but I was just curious what thoughts you all would have about that.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1109778' date='Nov 3 2006, 10:42 AM']
Ok, so I emailed the VD a week ago and he hasn't replied. I'm kinda upset.
[/quote]

+

Send him another quick e-mail just asking him to verify that he received your first e-mail. If you don't hear anything back in a few days, call the office.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1109778' date='Nov 3 2006, 10:42 AM']
Ok, so I emailed the VD a week ago and he hasn't replied. I'm kinda upset.
[/quote]
I'll pray for you and the VD. Perhaps he/she is very busy or out of the office... :idontknow: :pray:

I got a letter from him yesterday, asking me to attend the "Viaiany Visit" but I can't do that.

But I'm just happy to get a response.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1081497' date='Oct 1 2006, 11:29 PM']
I can related to the need for priests being part of your motivation (I feel the same way), but it really isn't a good reason for becoming a priest. The only reason for following a vocation is because God called you. Of course, it's not usually clear, but it's good to have doubts now because when they are finally resolved, you'll know for sure that you're doing the right thing. The thought goes through my head that I'll be disappointing people if I end up getting married, but the bottom line is we can't go wrong by honestly following God. Christ will ensure that we have enough priests.

Besides, numbers aren't what matters. We had plenty of priests and religious back in the 50's, but they sure weren't the most loyal bunch judging by the mass exodus during the following couple of decades (pun intended :) ).
[/quote]

+

That is SO true and SO wise LF. Mother Teresa said to her postulants, "The need is great but still, I don't need numbers. No need to stay."

In essence, there is no shame in starting the sem/convent and then discerning the call is elswhere. Sometimes that is how God speaks to us. The question isn't neccessarily "Where am I needed?" but "How does God want to make me Holy?".

I have enough friends, who are really good and holy people, who have spent years with the CFR's, Nashville Dominicans, at the PNAC, SJV, and elswhere only to discern the call was something other (before ordination or final vows). There is no shame in this. In these years, he helped to form holy husbands, wives, and single lay people.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1065652' date='Sep 17 2006, 10:43 PM']
OK, so about half the people at my confirmation reception were all like, "Brandon, you should be a priest." Yeah. I have thought about from time to time, but never given the idea more than just a passing glance. Yeah. I'm confused kinda I guess. Discernment starts now.
[/quote]

I was once told that If i felt like i wanted to be a priest, then i shouldnt have gotten married. Because in the future, it would really hurt. I'm married now, i still think about what things would be like if i was a priest. I love being married. But it still does hurt a little when i think about being a priest.