An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Order Of Mt. Carmel

HeavenlyCalling

HeavenlyCalling
:idontknow: :blush: :offtopic: we really need a little nun smilie, we have one of a priest, and a married women, so it shouldn't be too hard for someone talented (not me:P:) to change it to a nuns veil, PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!?

Carmel celebrated St. Teresa on Sunday.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1092580' date='Oct 15 2006, 10:23 PM']
Wouldn't they have celebrated Madre Teresa today in Carmel? We Dominicans celebrate St. Dominic when it falls on a Sunday.
[/quote]

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1092647' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:03 PM']
That's probably right. If your order celebrates St. Dominic when his feast falls on Sundays, I'm sure the Carmelites do too.

I think though that in general the Church usually moves (or even doesn't have them that year) feastdays that fall on Sundays, since the Lord's day "overrides" them, if that's the right word. Like for the breviary, I don't think I can do St. Teresa today, but maybe I could - I'm not sure. I know tomorrow would be St. Margaret Mary. :)
[/quote]

HeavenlyCalling

Okay, I was looking on this [url="http://www.religiousministries.com/directory/index.asp"]website[/url] when I found an Order of OCD (ODC'S rock :yahoo: :)) but when I clicked on it [url="http://www.carmelitesbeacon.org/"] this group[/url] said they had 24 professed nuns and one postulent, I thought ODC's could only have 21 nuns, am I wrong or just crazy? :crazy: :D:

Certain communities have been allowed to have more cloistered sisters in place of externs or the-now supressed group of lay sisters.

HeavenlyCalling

So, ODC's can have 21 cloistered sisters, is there any rule on extern sisters?

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

son_of_angels

There is a Carmel in Nebraska, served by the Fraternity of St. Peter. It is in the diocese of Denton, I think. It is very traditional, very cloistered, and a very beautiful cloistered.

HeavenlyCalling

It's been a while now, does anyone know how the Carmelites in Buffalo are doing, what with all the snow and stuff?

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1095904' date='Oct 19 2006, 03:24 PM']
It's been a while now, does anyone know how the Carmelites in Buffalo are doing, what with all the snow and stuff?
[/quote]
Large portions of North Buffalo are still without electricity. I don't know for certain, but i would assume that the sisters are still suffering bravely without heat. Fortunately the temperatures have been mild... 60 degrees.

My parents just got their power restored this afternoon. Hopefully it won't be long for the Carmel. Hang in there...

Brendan: do you have any details? You are more connected there than i am.

Edited by daveybe

HeavenlyCalling

I hop1e they do get their heat and stuff back soon, it stinks to be without it :camp:. And a slightly more selfish motive is that they said they would call me when everything was back to normal :blush: Yeah, if you do have any detials Brendon, please let us know

HeavenlyCalling

Okay dokey, an update on the Buffalo Carmel front! When I was out canoeing and camping :camp: :sailing: Mother Miram called my house :bugeyes: , so my dad took a message (when I heard he picked up the phone the first thing I said was 'you didn't say anything, did you?' he has a habit of saying VERY embarrasing things :blush:) But anyway, I called Mother back :mobile: ( I think they know have all their sytems working :thumbsup:) she was VERY nice, she asked about my family :grouphug: and stuff, and she said she'd send me a booklet on the monestary :coffee: , and that I could visit and stay in the guesthouse anytime I could :D: . Then, toward the end of the conversation she she said all sorts of things about the Monestary, how they had the full habit, grill, no TV, and other cool Carmilte stuff (:wishes we had a nun icon:), then she asked if she had scared me away yet, :no:. And she said again I was welcome to come and visit, and suggested I also visit other Carmels nearer to me until I got the chance to see them. Just thought I should update :detective: ^_^ . (oh, and they have 14 sisters, with 2 more filling out papers :D: :cool:) and then we talked a bit more about the weather :snowman: and I had to go, please pray for me and everyone out there please! :sign: :pray:

So you finally got to speak to her reverence! Great! Now all that's left is to visit and apply ;) Even if you're not called there, you've been given the great grace of speaking to the prioress and knowing more about a house of saints- no understatement. As of this evening, the majority of the Buffalo area still has power and we're doing ok. Thanks for the prayers everybody. Talk to you later.

Edited by brendan1104

• 1 month later...

Dear HeavenlyCalling,
I remember once you mentioned you'd love to see pictures of this Carmel. I have a few on digital camera, but the software for the camera won't work in our new computer. But if I'm ever able to somehow view the pictures and put a few here, I will. Most of the pictures we took there were on a regular camera, so when I find them, I can scan them and post them here. :)

Edited by Margaret Clare