An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Priests And Religious Write "jmj" At The Tops Of Page

Excelsior1027

Excelsior1027

I've seen this in a few different places. St. Faustina does this in her Diary and Archbishop Fulton Sheen wrote it on his blackboard on his TV show. My dad has told me that the sisters who taught him in Catholic school years ago did it, too. I know what the letters stand for, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph," but what is the reason behind this practice? Thanks for the help!

I use A.M.D.G. which stands for
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

which is latin for
To the Greater Glory of God.

The Latin phrase was a favorite of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus.

It was used routinely by His Holiness, Pope John Paul II. In his writings, on the top left of every page he prints the letters AMDG.

The holy abbreviation has been used throughout the ages by many. For example, the music composer Johann Sebastian Bach was known to write on his finished works, either above or below his own name, the initials "AMDG."

It consecrates the work you are doing to God. JMJ or variations, is the same

• 14 years later...
jeremiahshine

Interesting!  My grandpa taught me (most of the teachers in school were lay teachers).  I was the only one to do it and eventually stopped) to make a small cross, put a J over the trunk, an "M" by the left (my left) branch, and a "J" by the right branch.  Upper right corner.   

He initiated me into the world of Excommunicated Hibernian priests who disavowed Vatican II.  I remember the old priest spitting gravel to get to a death rite in Cleveland 5 hours away one afternoon.

When I was in primary school - around 63 years and more now - we used to write AMDG on the upper right top of every page of writing, including Maths.  Nuns who taught me were St Mary MacKillop's Sisters of St Joseph and then the Dominican nuns.

PaxCordisJesu

Seton Home Study prints this on center of the pages of their lower grade workbooks. I've always written it myself on the upper right corner of my homework. I was taught that it means "My best work for Jesus, Mary, and Joseph." I think it's meant to be a reminder to always do our best for God. Two other abbreviations I can think of right now are U.I.O.G.D. (It in omnibus glorificetur Deus, that in all things God be glorified) and + (Pax, peace).

On 12/29/2006 at 7:39 AM, cappie said:

The holy abbreviation has been used throughout the ages by many. For example, the music composer Johann Sebastian Bach was known to write on his finished works, either above or below his own name, the initials "AMDG."

Bach wrote "SDG", short for "SOLI DEO GLORIA" - only for God's glory. 
Sorry, when it comes to JSB, I'm a nerd^^

SicutColumba
On 5/6/2021 at 7:44 PM, PaxCordisJesu said:

I was taught that it means "My best work for Jesus, Mary, and Joseph." I think it's meant to be a reminder to always do our best for God.

That’s nice to think of it as an inspiration for the writer to do his best because I’ve always thought of it as an invocation of the holy family in a time of great need! :smile4: