An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A Sin To Party During Lent?

Resurrexi

No I don't believe so. You are talking about partying for a reason right? like a birthday or anniversary or something? The law was made to serve man, not man the law. Even the apostles gathered grain on the Sabbath. If you have a reason I don't see it being a problem. Even if you just need to vent or let loose.....I don't really see a problem. I Mean you have your penances that you do anyway right?

EcceNovaFacioOmni
:yahoo: :dance: Par-tay!

I actually have no idea. My birthday is during Lent this year but I'm not really a party animal. I eat cake and open presents.

TheOliverOrder88

Here's one:

I am going to a concert tonight (its Friday).... now I know it wouldn't necessarily be something I would need to confess...but is it sinful?

I am going to a Guster concert tonight by the way.

no...it would be just a discipline. Lent is a time for conversion, reflection, prayer, fasting, almsgiving, but it's not necessarily a sin to not do these things. Although you're going to a party or concert, it doesn't necessarily take away from Lenten sacrifices.

You could sacrifice while at the party or concert. For instance, don't drink or don't put salt on your food, etc. You can still do little things to remind you of the season.

Thy Geekdom Come

Having a party or going to a concert are not sinful activities in themselves nor is it a precept of the Church to stop observing them during Lent. So long you attend as a Christian (that is, act like it), you're fine. It's no more sinful than at any other time of the year.

I suppose ultimately whether there is a sin or not is between you and God (presuming there is not sinful "partying" involved).

However, parties in general should definitely be discouraged during Lent.
Parties are contrary to the Lenten spirit of penance and self-denial.

I'd generally avoid parties, concerts, and the like, as much as possible during Lent.

There's probably nothing wrong with having birthday cake for one's birthday (though it might be best to move this to a Sunday.)