An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel Of Jesus, Mary And Joseph

Brandimg

Now & forever! gratiaplena, that's wonderful to hear about your upcoming visit to this Carmel! I have a friend who recently entered there.  I second all of these good suggestions too, and also here is a thread on this where it seems fruit and stamps (neat idea, and you could get the Christmas ones with Our Lady :heart:) http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/130507-gift-suggestions/

One thing that suddenly occurred to me though that I have seen mention on various Carmelite pamphlets websites, is that they have fruit with their bread for breakfast during the Summer months but not during their fast which is from September 14th, Feast of the Exhalation of the Holy Cross, until Easter (an example, http://carmeloftheholyface.com/life) I would think they could have fruit though at their main meal, but I'm not totally sure. There would be no question about vegetables though of course :like:

But yeah, again, I would second the making a monetary donation too. That is always what I do, and I estimate the amount based on how many nights I stay and how much I would pay for a retreat, although usually not as much as most retreat houses. Of course they do not expect this, especially with people coming to discern. But it's a nice offering. 

Edited by Chiquitunga

Oh also, you may find this helpful. Someone recently started a thread about their visit there from a couple years ago on the CA Forum, http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=942987 I am LaudemGloriae there :like: (not the LaudemGloriae here though) It says they make their own butter & jam there, so I guess they don't need those. 

Oh and also, they have a needs list here! http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org/help-the-sisters/items-needed It may not be the exactly the same for Valparaiso, but probably pretty similar.

Now & forever! gratiaplena, that's wonderful to hear about your upcoming visit to this Carmel! I have a friend who recently entered there.  I second all of these good suggestions too, and also here is a thread on this where it seems fruit and stamps are recommended a lot (neat idea, and you could get the Christmas ones with Our Lady :heart:) http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/130507-gift-suggestions/

p.s. just wanted to correct this/finish my thought in this post, which I was writing in a rush at the time. :topsy:

Food or money is always good. Especially if the food is something different from what they normally have. I know when I visited Sisters in France I brought some  candies you can't get in France and the American Sisters loved them. 

When I visited the community here in the US another visitor donated food for one meal (which is easier when you only have 7-8 people). It was really nice and really yummy. If there is something that you have only locally it might be fun to bring that item. A good way for you to share a bit about yourself with the community.

When I have done a monetary donation I either sent it in a card or at the one retreat house I put it in the general donation box. 

I've never heard of it referred to as an Imposition of the Habit, and it isn't written this way in an OCD ceremonies booklet I have from the 1930's. It's called the Investiture Ceremony. But I have heard of an imposition of the Brown Scapular, and since this is their Habit, it makes sense :)

"Imposition" does seem an odd word to use, since "imposition" implies force of some kind, such as "the deal was imposed on him".  It also can mean unwanted intrusion, such as "I imposed myself without invitation".  Literally, of course, the word does mean "placement" or "putting on", but there are these nuances associated with it.  "Investiture" [assumption of a garment] seems so much nicer.

I would expect "imposition" to be used by someone for whom English is a second language, in much the same way as a request for a rating of an app I've got on my iPad is phrased: "If you don't distaste this app, please rate..."

Edited by Antigonos

Yeah, when Miraculous Medals are blessed according to the old form (and maybe the new, idk), it also calls for an "imposition." The priest who said it is a native English speaker - perhaps there is some fine theology between, impositions, investiture, and receptions that hasn't been elaborated on here before.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the gift suggestions! I just came back from an incredible visit!!! The sisters are SO sweet and kind! God spoiled me and I got to be present for a postulant's clothing and actually visit with her - she was absolutely radiant! This Carmel is just absolutely incredible. I could go on and on but thanks again for the ideas - they loved the vegetables and cheese I brought! :) 

AveMariaPurissima

Great to hear that you had such a wonderful visit! :)

Thank you so much for the gift suggestions! I just came back from an incredible visit!!! The sisters are SO sweet and kind! God spoiled me and I got to be present for a postulant's clothing and actually visit with her - she was absolutely radiant! This Carmel is just absolutely incredible. I could go on and on but thanks again for the ideas - they loved the vegetables and cheese I brought! :)

^I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that if you want to share more, we'd love to hear it!! :heart:

Well if you insist! :)

I got there on Friday afternoon and because of the postulant's clothing, her family was staying at the guesthouse. Good news for me, because that meant I got to stay in the extern quarters only a couple steps from the chapel! I had my own keys so I was blessed to be able to go to the chapel whenever I wanted. The sisters gave me my midday meal from the turn and every day I could barely eat it all it was so much food! One day it was homemade bread and avocado salad with soup, the next was pizza because of the clothing celebration, and on Sunday it was a sort of veggie burger! I was told you don't go to Carmel to go on a diet! Ha!

They chanted the Divine Office on a single note and it was hauntingly beautiful! I got to speak with Reverend Mother and Mother Agnes - what incredibly beautiful souls! They had my sides hurting from laughing so much! We chatted about Carmel and religious life, and how to discern more deeply if this is truly God's Will for my life. 

The best part of the visit was getting to meet the new novice's family and getting to visit with the new novice - I couldn't stop asking her questions! The best part was when she said that they eat peanut butter out of the jars in Carmel! Carmel sounds like the opposite of boring! Mother Agnes told me that recently the novices put together a "hobo band" complete with harmonicas and spoons on pots and pans. It sounds like the nuns are a joyful, energetic bunch so on fire with love of Christ! 

Overall, it was an incredible visit! I would encourage anyone considering a vocation to Carmel to go and see if this is God's Will for your life!! Please pray for me as I continue to discern God's Will for my life and I will be praying for all of you! +JMJT+

We chatted about Carmel and religious life, and how to discern more deeply if this is truly God's Will for my life. 

Any pointers or tips from the part above that stood out for you and you care to share?

Thanks for writing a bit of your experience and prayers for you on your journey. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I'm confused! How else would one eat peanut butter! Doesn't it always come in a jar???

Peanut butter...the mainstay of American contemplative nuns!

I'm confused! How else would one eat peanut butter! Doesn't it always come in a jar???

:hehe: now Im picturing them with a spoon just sitting there eating it right out of the jar, add a cup of coffee and that's breakfast!

Peanut butter...the mainstay of American contemplative nuns!

a new business venture for Summit??  :detective:  I will even name it for you!  Lets see something Dominican.... Penafort's PB!  youre welcome :topsy: