An Old School Catholic Message Board

Belinda's Update.

bmb144

[quote]Mateo El Feo writes: If you're going to judge us for rejecting Belinda's neo-Egyptian religion, you might as well be equitable and throw the same stones at her for her rejection of Christianity. [/quote]I am not judging I am just observing. Judging is supposed to be GOD’s job, not ours.
[quote]Mateo El Feo writes: Dear carrdero, your posts on this thread come across as theatrics. Honestly, claiming that we're throwing rocks and spitting on Belinda...please! Post #49 is the lamest excuse for proof I could have imagined.[/quote]
Maybe so..and maybe I am a bit presumptuous in understanding what kind of relationship that everyone had with Belinda but I do know that she was happy that she found her new path.
[quote]Belinda writes: This was not an easy choice, but after much healing and counselling I am whole and very happy.[/quote]It seemed to me through some of the responses that many of you didn’t believe she was happy or at least you couldn’t share in [b][i]her[/i][/b] happiness because it may not have reflected your own brand of happiness.

I know that this wasn’t easy for her to do.
[quote]Belinda writes: Those of you who have seen my thread in transmud know that I have walked away both from Catholicism and Christianity. This was not an easy choice-[/quote]
I know that she was very careful not to disrespect your beliefs and feelings.
[quote]Belinda writes: I am choosing not to give the correct name of the church out of respect to you all here. I would NEVER disrespect the ones you serve and love. Your Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit are names that I respect and hold in affection.[/quote]I understand, like many other people who have left one church to go to another, that she felt this was a calling in her life.
[quote]Belinda writes: I have started the long walk toward priesthood [yes women are ordained], in order to live the call on my life.[/quote]
She even explains (sincerely, I might add) that she still cares and wishes the best for everyone.
[quote]Belinda writes: I want to say I really care for all of you and I'm here to cheer you all on and be whatever support I can be.[/quote]
And I know from the reception that she received she rightfully felt very hurt and unwelcome.

I only have a few questions:

How does this happen on Phatmass?

Does Phatmass treat all new-comers, regular members and other people who “do not rep the church?” this way or do you have to be someone who had belonged to the faith and then leave to get treated this way?

Does Phatmass allow for other diverse viewpoints, values and ideas? Can other people share and discuss these beliefs without being judged, labeled or scrutinized unfairly?

Edited by carrdero

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1273410' date='May 15 2007, 03:29 AM']Can't we all just get along? And I suppose that if someone came here saying "well I've decided that abortion is okay and I'm going to be an abortion doctor" we should just say, oh very well then, Godspeed to you. Or if someone says "Oh I've decided to be a child molester" we should say "well good for you, I hope your are successfull and happy at it".[/quote]

choosing another religion, another (approach to) god is a thing between G-d and the person. of course, the actions that may result from a change in ethics (as a consequence of the change of religion then affect more than just G-d and the person.

comparing this to being a molester and such, where this directly involves hurting another person is not a good comparison imo.

btw, is there a place/thread where i can present myself, so you can know who i am and where i'm coming from (if such is wished, of course)?

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Chaya' post='1273914' date='May 15 2007, 04:24 AM']btw, is there a place/thread where i can present myself, so you can know who i am and where i'm coming from (if such is wished, of course)?[/quote]

Hiya, Chaya:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37[/url]

:bye:

[quote name='Chaya' post='1273914' date='May 15 2007, 04:24 AM']choosing another religion, another (approach to) god is a thing between G-d and the person. of course, the actions that may result from a change in ethics (as a consequence of the change of religion then affect more than just G-d and the person.

comparing this to being a molester and such, where this directly involves hurting another person is not a good comparison imo.

btw, is there a place/thread where i can present myself, so you can know who i am and where i'm coming from (if such is wished, of course)?[/quote]

+

The thing is, our selves are just as much a gift from God as someone else's is -whether child or not. Therefore, abuse of the self is just as wrong as abuse of another.

you're just being absolutely mellodramatic, carrderro. she would have been dead from the stones we threw at her? please. I don't buy it. you're attributing her a victemhood status that is just unwarrented.

if you come and discuss your beleifs on phatmass, they are liable to criticism. simple as that. even our own Catholic beleifs are liable to crticism, everywhere except Transmundane Lane and Vocation Station. They are protected from criticism there because this is a Catholic forum and we want there to be safe places to discuss them among ourselves. But no one has free reign to just discuss their religion on phatmass free from criticism; that is simply not the mission of the sitie. Belinda was welcome to simply discuss things without reference to her beleifs; if she mentions them she's liable to criticism... she could either respond to that criticism and create a debate about her religion or she could brush it off and not discuss the problems we have with her religion, but she has no special protection to just promote her religion safe from criticism.

that'd be absolutely ridiculous. this is a Catholic board welcome to anyone to join in the discussions; but it has the fundamental assumption of the existence of absolute truth and all varying viewpoints are subject to debate and criticism and discussion. if you want to debate and discuss your beleifs, if you want to defend the beleifs of the neo-Egyptian church of bast, then by all means come and defend it and we'll be happy to defend our own beleifs; but if you're looking for a place to discuss your beleifs free from all criticism, find people who share your beleifs and discuss it with them.

she's been treated absolutely fairly here: the same way all viewpoints are treated: open to criticism and debate.

sheesh, what do you expect us to do? seriously? "oh that's great, we at phatmass beleive all religions to be equally beneficial and you should just find whichever one best suits you"? That would be a lie, that's not what we believe. YOU, my dear carrderro, are now attempting to IMPOSE your beleif in that (namely the beleif that all religions to be equally beneficial and you should just find whichever one best suits you) on us. And you know what? That's okay, that's your position. Your position is open to criticism, and our position is open to criticism. I can criticize the relativist beleif you are here describing, and you can criticize the absolutist position I am here describing, and I can criticize the neo-pagan religion Belinda is here describing, and it's all good.

Do you feel like a deadly stoning has taken place when we tell you now that we believe your relativist position is disconnected from God and Truth, and that it is, in all likelihood, going to lead you down the path of perdition? If you do feel that way, and just wish we'd stop before you get your feelings hurt, you really don't have that strong of a beleif or a defense for your position do you? You'd just want to be safe to propose anything without consequence, without criticism. But I have a feeling you do not go away crying when we say these things about what we believe about the path your own. I imagine you can understand this is what we believe about your beleifs, and you do not take it personally but rather defend your position when it is criticized. If Belinda is unable to do that, then she simply should not go about discussing her beleifs on a board full of Catholics.

If I did not feel comfortable discussing/debating my beleifs about Christianity, I would not go to a protestant board and say "I believe the Catholic Church is the One True Church" and then when questioned about it say "come on, guys, :sadder: this is just my beleif, stop criticizing me!

I may have been a bit harsh, but I get sick of people coming into here and trying to equate all religions and beliefs. As far as I Am concerned, it is like walking into a Catholic Church and doing the same thing. We are a CATHOLIC community here that is open to all people. But from every impression I have ever gotten, we are Catholic. If non-Catholics come and want open discussion, welcome. But don't get offended when we defend our faith, and point out the errors in other faiths.

That's it.

thessalonian

[quote name='Chaya' post='1273914' date='May 15 2007, 04:24 AM']choosing another religion, another (approach to) god is a thing between G-d and the person. of course, the actions that may result from a change in ethics (as a consequence of the change of religion then affect more than just G-d and the person.

btw, is there a place/thread where i can present myself, so you can know who i am and where i'm coming from (if such is wished, of course)?[/quote]

The first commandment says "you shall have no other gods before me". Belinda's god is no god at all and likely has demonic ties. I stand by what I have said out of charity and concern for her eternal soul. The comparison is quite accurate as a violation of a commandment of God is a seriouis thing whether you have opinions to the contrary or not. But thanks for stopping by and welcome.

Edited by thessalonian

thessalonian

[quote name='prose' post='1274159' date='May 15 2007, 01:39 PM']I may have been a bit harsh, but I get sick of people coming into here and trying to equate all religions and beliefs. As far as I Am concerned, it is like walking into a Catholic Church and doing the same thing. We are a CATHOLIC community here that is open to all people. But from every impression I have ever gotten, we are Catholic. If non-Catholics come and want open discussion, welcome. But don't get offended when we defend our faith, and point out the errors in other faiths.

That's it.[/quote]

Amen.

For one who did accuse us of not taking the Hebrew Scriptures seriously enough..

Psalm 96:5 "The gods of the nations are devils"

Phoenix Reborn

I didn't even know the Eyptian church is still around...

Edited by Phoenix Reborn

Totus Tuus

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1272069' date='May 12 2007, 06:05 PM']Accepting Christianity is no guarantee that your life will always be a bed of roses.[/quote]

Or you could say that it [i]is[/i] always a bed of roses... because roses have thorns :)

Totus Tuus

I think my humble .02 is that we need to all take a minute to pray for Belinda and those who do not understand Christianity. Debate can be very informative (if done with charity), but prayer really is the strongest thing we can offer. Many people have made excellent points and observations which I have benefited from and learned by reading. But I don't think everyone's hearts are in a place where they can wholly benefit from reading what we have to say so much as they would benefit from our prayers. Belinda's birthday is on the feast of Our Lady of Fatima. Perhaps we could particularly recommend her to Our Lady under that title.

Lauren

puellapaschalis

To offer an answer to a question posed a little while back, Belinda originally posted this not in Debate but in Vocation Station, where some time ago she shared a little of her discernment, especially with the Tyburn Benedictines in Australia. This might explain the different tones of reply that are to be found if one reads the entire thread through.

PP