An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tranquility Bay Treatment Center (jamaica)

Jesus_lol

this place is so wrong. :maddest:
here this will explain it better than i can [url="http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,987172,00.html"]Tranquility Bay[/url]
what do you all think of this concentration camp style place for lazy, un accountable parents to send their children to?

philosophette

Whoa.... :unsure: that place has the signature of satan all over it, for he is the master of twisting an understanding of the dignity of the human person and poisoning the hearts of men... I felt sick as I read that :blink:

Edited by philosobrat

Dreamweaver

Wow, that is pretty disgusting. It's like something straight out of Scientology or 1984, with the brainwashing and physical punishments, and all. I wouldn't go as far as to call it Auschwitz, a terrible death camp.

I'm very fond of my Parents, but if they had had me sent to that place, it's unlikely they would have survived my return. That's a deal-breaker, and no mistake. Having to cross the Border is pretty much admitting that what you are doing is not right.

Edited by MichaelF

Ash Wednesday

Questionable? Yes. Auschwitz? No. At least these kids get food and come out alive.

[quote name='MichaelF' post='1326600' date='Jul 13 2007, 02:39 AM']I'm very fond of my Parents, but if they had had me sent to that place, it's unlikely they would have survived my return.[/quote]

What do you mean by that?

The impression that I get is that these kids are getting completely brainwashed...it chilled me when the author would challenge the kids on their broad statements and they would just get confused and brush it away...it seems like they're just being fed this stuff until they choose to accept it.

Honestly...were these kids that bad? That description of the Harvard-bound girl who just happened to start dating the "wrong guy"--I mean, in reality you would learn from that and move on, hopefully, but to send a girl into this kind of jail for that sort of thing, and ONLY that sort of thing? I have a friend who had gotten involved in drugs, at first things like pot but then dissolving into harder stuff like cocaine--the way his parents finally ended up dealing with it was to send him out to Korea (he's Korean) to work with a Catholic organization that does things like medical care for the poor and whatnot. It changed him for the better, but he didn't lose his personality like these kids seem to have done.

It really does just seem like lazy and incompetent parents who, instead of actively trying to PARENT their kids, have let this "treatment center" completely take over and break their children's spirits...I don't know, children are not horses to be broken.

I didn't really see anything that I would consider a violation of human dignity. How they use "restraint" maybe goes a bit too far, but then again they are working with OLDER kids, and not little six year olds.

Honestly, this type of prison isn't a whole lot different from a minimum security prison facility in the States (or US Navy Boot Camp). Actually you could describe it as easier as [i]you[/i] decide when [i]you[/i] get out. I didn't really have that luxury when I went through Boot Camp, and neither do actual prisoners.

You guys are really over reacting to this. This is nothing but a joke. I bet if my parents had sent me there I could have gotten out in a week.

Edited by Justin86

Here's the TIME Magazine article referred to: [url="http://www.isaccorp.org/tranquility/tranquility-bay.01.26.98.html"]http://www.isaccorp.org/tranquility/tranqu...y.01.26.98.html[/url]

And here's a Google Search with more references: [url="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Tranquility+Bay%22+%2B%22time+magazine%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a"]http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Tranquil...lient=firefox-a[/url]

Also, for what it's worth, Snopes.com didn't have any matches under "Tranquility Bay".

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Justin86' post='1326643' date='Jul 13 2007, 06:25 AM']Honestly, this type of prison isn't a whole lot different from a minimum security prison facility in the States (or US Navy Boot Camp). Actually you could describe it as easier as [i]you[/i] decide when [i]you[/i] get out. I didn't really have that luxury when I went through Boot Camp, and neither do actual prisoners.[/quote]

That may be true. But this isn't a prison. That's the point. If what the author is saying is true, this is a facility which parents can decide to send their kids to, out-of-country. The article really made it sound like the parents did whatever the person who runs this camp told them to do, and a parent who would do that without even visiting the facility before shipping their child there would be categorized (by me) as a parent who didn't [i]want[/i] to have to worry about their child.

missionarybelle

I guess whenever your child has problems, you should just break them into submission....

oh this article made me so sad! those poor kids have no love. I think i'll have to go look at pictures of babies for a little while to cheer me up ;)

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1326609' date='Jul 13 2007, 03:16 AM']What do you mean by that?[/quote]

Exactly what it said.

Parents have justifiable authority over their minor children. The subject of this thread is a gross violation of their children's civil rights (heavily-telegraphed by the fact that it is necessary to transport them outside the US). I see no reason that the persons responsible should not suffer reprisal.

Just because they get sent to Jamaica does not make it materially different from confining them in your basement and torturing* them.

If your parents torture you or, even more cold-blooded, pay someone to torture you, they aren't your parents any longer.

Had it happened to me, the persons responsible would suffer for it. And I don't mean emotionally.

*-and yes, folks, it -is- torture. Solitary confinement, interrupted sleep cycles and forcible stationary postures are classic "destructors". All of which occur in this article.

Edited by MichaelF

yes if my parents sent me there, i would inform them that once i got out(i would definitely escape) and picked up my stuff they would never see me again.

and no, i admit, it isn't auschwitz, but concentration camp seems to work quite well and it got your attention.

Edited by Jesus_lol

Ash Wednesday

So basically, Michael, if I have this correct-- you are insinuating that you would murder your parents.

How old are you and what planet are you from?

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1326842' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:14 AM']yes if my parents sent me there, i would inform them that once i got out(i would definitely escape) and picked up my stuff they would never see me again.

and no, i admit, it isn't auschwitz, but concentration camp seems to work quite well and it got your attention.[/quote]

And my question for you: have you ever actually visited a concentration camp?