An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican's Chief Exorcist Repeats Condemnation Of Harry Potter Nove

saint_wannabe

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1330776' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:12 AM']Tripe is something of no value. There'll never be a signed document by the Pope on the matter. We do have however statements by public with permission that the potter books are subtle seductions. Only Satan seduces...

Potter supporters are taking all this way too personal...[/quote]
I am not taking all this too personally at all. I simply respectfully disagree with you and Fr. Amorth. I don't believe either of you offers an infallible interpretation of Harry Potter, and I'm free to disagree, after having amply considered the evidence at hand.

Have you read the books, by chance?

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1331009' date='Jul 16 2007, 02:17 PM']I might be misinformed on the Latin spells issue. It is from a credible Catholic source but I have not read the books or researched that myself so I could certainly be wrong.
My post was meant to compare the works of Lewis, Tolkien, and Rowling, as they appear on film - I have not read Rowling's books so it wasn't my intention to say "books" - I meant to say films ^_^ All I know about the books is what I have heard from Catholic sources.[/quote]
I'm truncating your post here so I don't end up with an uber-long post.

Lauren, I like and respect you, but basing your comparisons of Tolkien and Lewis against the movies is not fair. It makes your criticism ring hollow. And I think Cathoholic noted several good things, about the made-up spells, redemptive aspects of main characters, etc. I would encourage you to read the article I linked to earlier; I think it does a good job of explaining the Christian themes and symbolism you can see in the book. The author notes that Rowling uses many of the same symbols used by Tolkien and Lewis, and also notes the changes that occur to characters throughout each book, which are reminiscent of redemptive themes. I think there are many good things you can pull from the books even on a surface reading; you don't have to be well-educated and well-formed to fish for good messages from them.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Pontifex' post='1330837' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:03 AM']Regardless of anyone's opinion, when the chief excorist tells us to beware, we better beware!!!

Let us be humble and accept the Holy Spirit's wisdom through his office.[/quote]

That says it all Father...

saint_wannabe

i was just reading an article called [b]"Conversations with an exorcist..."[/b]

"A young girl he exorcised was into Harry Potter and Pokemon. He has exorcised many children who have become possessed through involvement in these. A priest told him that he read Harry Potter and found nothing wrong with it. The exorcist rebuked this ignorant priest, "But you guys don't do exorcisms!" "

[url="http://www.tldm.org/News9/ConversationsWithExorcist.htm"]http://www.tldm.org/News9/ConversationsWithExorcist.htm[/url] < go here to read the full article, its pretty interesting

Edited by saint_wannabe

saint_wannabe

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1331089' date='Jul 16 2007, 03:55 PM']Whelp, better get rid of the Lewis and Tolkien too, then. :)[/quote]

lol
well i dnt think Tolkien and lewis are as bad cuz they dont completely focus on magic and wizardry. but w.e

A chief exorcist warning the dangers of Harry Potter, especially through his own experiences. Definately something to take into consideration, since we have [b]NEVER[/b] witnessed or performed the amount of exorcisms as this man of God has. May God continue to protect him and give him the strength to do his duty.

If a culinary chef is telling you to not eat that because it's not fully cooked, YOU DO NOT EAT IT!

[b]Question:[/b] Is Rowling even a Christian? I know Tolkien was Catholic, and Lewis was Methodist (was Catholic friendly).

Edited by Paladin D

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1331089' date='Jul 16 2007, 03:55 PM']Whelp, better get rid of the Lewis and Tolkien too, then. :)[/quote]

Well if thats what it takes for kids to put down Potter books, its worth it. I would add to the list Yugioh, Brat Dolls, Hip Huggers for Preteens, short shorts with immoral words on the back end sold to preteens, Brat Baby Dolls!! and all the other satanic sexed up immoral carp that are sold to kids today.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Everyone should convert to [b]Star Wars[/b]ism.

It isn't as lame as Harry Potter, LOTR, or Narnia anyway. :lol:

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1331100' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:06 PM']A chief exorcist warning the dangers of Harry Potter, especially through his own experiences. Definately something to take into consideration, since we have [b]NEVER[/b] witnessed or performed the amount of exorcisms as this man of God has. May God continue to protect him and give him the strength to do his duty.

If a culinary chef is telling you to not eat that because it's not fully cooked, YOU DO NOT EAT IT!
[b]Question:[/b] Is Rowling even a Christian? I know Tolkien was Catholic, and Lewis was Methodist (was Catholic friendly).[/quote]
Like I said, I've considered his warnings, but after my own analysis and my own reading of the books and input from other sources, I respectfully disagree.

Admittedly, I have never witnessed an exorcism, but one horror tale about a kid who read Harry Potter and ended up possessed causes me no concern about the state of my soul -- and I've read all six books more than once. Especially since there are millions of people who have read the books and DON'T end up possessed or obsessively absorbed in witchcraft.

I bet the kid also brushed his teeth from time to time. Maybe that did him in. Correlation does not equal causation.

As far as her Christianity goes, there are arguments pro and con. Do a google search.

Frankly, people should be MORE concerned about "The Golden Compass," the first of the "His Dark Materials" series to hit the big screen (slated for release in December). Now THAT is a disturbing series.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1331119' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:19 PM']Like I said, I've considered his warnings, but after my own analysis and my own reading of the books and input from other sources, I respectfully disagree.

Admittedly, I have never witnessed an exorcism, but one horror tale about a kid who read Harry Potter and ended up possessed causes me no concern about the state of my soul -- and I've read all six books more than once. Especially since there are millions of people who have read the books and DON'T end up possessed or obsessively absorbed in witchcraft.

I bet the kid also brushed his teeth from time to time. Maybe that did him in. Correlation does not equal causation.

As far as her Christianity goes, there are arguments pro and con. Do a google search.
Frankly, people should be MORE concerned about "The Golden Compass," the first of the "His Dark Materials" series to hit the big screen (slated for release in December). Now THAT is a disturbing series.[/quote]

Don't know much about the Golden Compass.

I'm not condemning those who read Harry Potter, nor am I implying that you guys aren't taking it into consideration. However, I believe that it would be safe to avoid Harry Potter. That's just me, besides, I don't like that kid anyway. [b]STAR WARS IS FOREVER!!![/b]

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1331110' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:15 PM']Everyone should convert to [b]Star Wars[/b]ism.

It isn't as lame as Harry Potter, LOTR, or Narnia anyway. :lol:[/quote]
Actually, I find Star Wars much more disturbing, as far as philosophy goes.

At least all the others are, to a greater or lesser extent, all written from a Christian perspective. Star Wars leans more toward an Eastern (non-Christian) religious and philosophical foundation.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1331127' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:22 PM']Actually, I find Star Wars much more disturbing, as far as philosophy goes.

At least all the others are, to a greater or lesser extent, all written from a Christian perspective. Star Wars leans more toward an Eastern (non-Christian) religious and philosophical foundation.[/quote]

They actually talked about that on A&E's special about Star Wars and it's mythology. I'll have to watch it again, since I recorded it and only saw glimpses. Though from my understanding, the basic message is that it encourages the belief in a higher power or being. The "Force" can be interpreted as God, or as some other supernatural thing, it all depends what your religious view is. So in a way, it's not really exclusive to a specific religion, it's pretty broad and in general. However, I'll have to watch the 1 (or 2 hour) program again for sure.

Though we can make a new topic about Star Wars and the mythology to discuss this further.

KnightofChrist

Well... heres praying Fr. Amorth is wrong, and that Potter doesn't help lead millions of souls to hell.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1331148' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:36 PM']Well... heres praying Fr. Amorth is wrong, and that Potter doesn't help lead millions of souls to hell.[/quote]
Fr. Amorth said that Harry Potter is going to lead millions of souls into hell?