An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican's Chief Exorcist Repeats Condemnation Of Harry Potter Nove

saint_wannabe

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Raphael' post='1331211' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:13 PM']Fr. Amorth said that Satan wrote the books?

It seems to me that Fr. Amorth is saying that Satan is using the books, etc. The quote from him in the original article posted on the first post of this thread cites him saying that he is speaking with regard to Harry Potter and children: "'By reading Harry Potter a [i]young child[/i] will be drawn into magic and from there it is a simple step to Satanism and the Devil,' he said."

That seems to suggest that Fr. Amorth is suggesting that those who are not mature enough to make important distinctions will read the books, be attracted to what the rest of us are not attracted to, and end up on the path to Satan. Perhaps Satan does have his hand in that...of course he does. If the books had been marketed to adults, do you think this issue would be as contentious?

I think the real issue, the context for Fr. Amorth's statements, is Harry Potter, not per se, but as a children's book. That's just my opinion.

God bless,

Micah[/quote]

"Behind Harry Potter [color="#8B0000"]hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the devil[/color]." - Fr. Amorth

Only authors sign their work... If the Devil is the author, no one young or old should read or enjoy the books...

Edited by KnightofChrist

Laudate_Dominum

I like Michael O'Brien's views on the Harry Potter books.

I have not read a single Harry Potter book and have no intention of doing so and for this reason my views on this specific matter are somewhat reserved. I reject Harry Potter for the simple reason that I trust Michael O'Brien's analysis but since I lack the perspective to speak of it on my own I shall refrain from doing so.

www.studiobrien.com

KnightofChrist

[url="http://studiobrien.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=121&Itemid=76"]Source:[/url]

[quote]Kuby maintains that the Potter books prevent the young from developing a properly ordered sense of good and evil, and in this regard she quotes from Cardinal Ratzinger’s letter:

"Thank you very much for the instructive book. It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly." (Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, March 7, 2003)

In a second letter to her, May 27, 2003, he wrote that he "gladly" gives her his permission to publicize his judgement about Harry Potter.

In a handwritten personal Christmas card he sent to her in December, 2003, he said, "Thank you very much for your courageous engagement against occultism and magic.”

This discernment on the part of the man who is now Benedict XVI reveals the Holy Father's depth perception. It is consistent with many of the statements he has been making since his election to the Chair of Peter, and throughout the past 30 years.[/quote]

toledo_jesus

the problem with Harry Potter is that it is widely accessible to children who will read it and come away with a generally positive view of occult subject matter. Lacking proper context and adult frames of reference, they will be less guarded against the wiles of Satan should he work through such means. However, this is only a danger if parents are lazy in their duty to inform and shepherd their children through such issues.
Parents should know their children and know what is appropriate for them to read.

My take is that Harry Potter is for ages 10 and up. Sometimes, I think the books are PG-13. All that making out in the last one!

[quote name='Raphael' post='1331158' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:43 PM']Rowling is a member of the Church of Scotland.[/quote]

Roger.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1331158' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:43 PM']Rowling is a member of the Church of Scotland.[/quote]

That can mean all kinds of things. The Kirk ranges from die-hard Calvinists to individuals who would make that homosexual Episcopal Bishop look like Torquemada. Albeit, there are more of the former than the latter.

Edited by MichaelF

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1331119' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:19 PM']Frankly, people should be MORE concerned about "The Golden Compass," the first of the "His Dark Materials" series to hit the big screen (slated for release in December). Now THAT is a disturbing series.[/quote]

Well, that's to be expected, given that the author (Pullman) is very vocal about his hatred of Christianity in general, and Catholicism in particular.

No surprises there.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='MichaelF' post='1331652' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:33 PM']That can mean all kinds of things. The Kirk ranges from die-hard Calvinists to individuals who would make that homosexual Episcopal Bishop look like Torquemada. Albeit, there are more of the former than the latter.[/quote]
Yeah, this guy is supposedly Catholic.

[img]http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2004/0406/ncatholic0612.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/20finspeak.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.crisismagazine.com/images/may2003.jpg[/img]

KnightofChrist

I am happy to respond to your email.

There are many ways one can support abortion-on-demand. Not all of the ways would constitute heresy, either material heresy or formal heresy. A woman faced with a problem pregnancy who has an abortion would be committing a serious sin and can be said to be "supportion abortion" but it is not likely that she is thinking about the teaching of the magisterium when she has her abortion and so she is in no way guilty of heresy.

Formal heresy consists in the pertinacious denial or expressed doubts about any of the truths that must be believed with divine and Catholic faith. So, the woman in the example above is not a heretic, [b]but someone like Senator Ted Kennedy or Senator John Kerry who not only deny the truth of the magisterial teachings about the evil of abortion [u]are without a doubt formal heretics.[/u][/b]

The magisterial teaching about the evil of abortion is most clearly set forth in the encyclicals of Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul the Great. The most recent clear teaching that denial of the evil of abortion is heresy is contained in the Doctrinal Note issued by then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) with the express approval of Pope John Paul the Great.

You can find access to all these magisterial documents on the website: www.defide.com <http://www.defide.com>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"My prayer is that your love may more and more abound, both in understanding and wealth of experience, so that with a clear conscience and blameless conduct you may learn to value the things that really matter, up to the very day of Christ. It is my wish that you may be found rich in the harvest of justice which Jesus Christ has ripened in you, to the glory and praise of God."
- From the Letter of Saint Paul to the Phillipians, 1:10-11
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++

Blessings!

+Rene Henry Gracida
Bishop Emeritus of Corpus Christi
Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

KnightofChrist

Your welcome this is from some time ago, I was quite surprised to get a response from him.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1331958' date='Jul 17 2007, 01:08 AM']Your welcome this is from some time ago, I was quite surprised to get a response from him.[/quote]
That's so awesome! :smokey:

KnightofChrist
:priest_halo: Contacting Fr. Amorth seems will be a more difficult task... Edited by KnightofChrist