An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty: Does It Include Bare Shoulders In Church?

fides quarens intellectum

Bare shoulders in Church?  

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="blue"] I wish I came across this topic earlier! My vote was definitely for no - for the reasons already elaborated in the previous 9 pages.

But, at the same time, I am extremely sympathetic for any other brides out there who had a [u][i]terrible [/i][/u] time trying to find a dress that didn't bear their shoulders. There weren't more than 2 options in every bridal store I went into, and some didn't have any at all. Most of the ones that had a couple options were just variations on a jacket you could throw overtop - few were cohesively designed together or *gasp* sewn as one piece. Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't see one dress where the sleeves were sewn on in any store I went into - although I did find some online.

The rumor mill has it that sleeves might be coming back for wedding dresses, but that just may be my wishful thinking :saint: Although, the one solid piece of advice I did get about finding a shoulders-covered dress was good - go to Utah. They're not only required in the Morman Church, people do actually follow that requirement and stores follow suit :lol: I didn't end up going there, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely true. [/color][/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="blue"] That being said - I do think you can classily and modestly do thick straps like on those cute flower girl pictures :topsy: The design really affects it either way[/color][/font]

[quote name='RC _' post='1383476' date='Sep 11 2007, 11:44 AM']They don't necessarily get buried in the lame board. They're more likely to be brought up again by some birdbrain trying to boost his post count.[/quote]
But the actual debate gets so buried that it doesn't matter anymore and we just talk on it, like we do on any other thread...

Well, how about we look at what Cardinal Pompili said after asked by Pope Pius XI to write a letter concerning Christian modesty.

In 1928 the Cardinal Vicar of Pope Pius XI, Cardinal Pompili ordered a “Crusade Against Immodest Fashions, Especially in Schools Directed by Religious” and his letter said “that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees. Furthermore, dresses of transparent materials are improper.”

I was looking for the entire letter but couldn't find it... I know that later in the letter it specified that regulations on modest dress do not change with the times.

In regards to what the Holy See has said in the past... I have to vote no.

[quote name='Slappo' post='1383774' date='Sep 11 2007, 08:28 PM']Well, how about we look at what Cardinal Pompili said after asked by Pope Pius XI to write a letter concerning Christian modesty.

In 1928 the Cardinal Vicar of Pope Pius XI, Cardinal Pompili ordered a “Crusade Against Immodest Fashions, Especially in Schools Directed by Religious” and his letter said “that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees. Furthermore, dresses of transparent materials are improper.”

I was looking for the entire letter but couldn't find it... I know that later in the letter it specified that regulations on modest dress do not change with the times.

In regards to what the Holy See has said in the past... I have to vote no.[/quote]

Of course to previous generations, a women showing her knees would have been scandelous. Victorian men used to swoon at the sight of an ankle.

[quote name='RC _' post='1383476' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:44 AM']They don't necessarily get buried in the lame board. They're more likely to be brought up again by some birdbrain trying to boost his post count.[/quote]

Look at the late Alex. He was smart.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1383597' date='Sep 11 2007, 12:15 PM']But the actual debate gets so buried that it doesn't matter anymore and we just talk on it, like we do on any other thread...[/quote]

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1383749' date='Sep 11 2007, 04:43 PM']tis true.[/quote]

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1383758' date='Sep 11 2007, 05:06 PM']And if anyone does start the actual debate again, we'll just tease 'em till they cry. :mellow:[/quote]

I concur with all of the above.

[quote name='Slappo' post='1383774' date='Sep 11 2007, 07:28 PM']Well, how about we look at what Cardinal Pompili said after asked by Pope Pius XI to write a letter concerning Christian modesty.

In regards to what the Holy See has said in the past... I have to vote no.[/quote]
Had this been written in 1828, the good Cardinal would have been considered waaay liberal.

[quote name='kateri05' post='1384018' date='Sep 12 2007, 02:07 AM']commence teasing......... NOW!!
:popcorn:[/quote]
But it hasn't been moved yet! We need to get word out to the Lame Boarders to come over here and help out with that, I think...I can't do that much teasing all by myself. I need other people to play off of. I'm doing my best just to keep it off topic enough to get it moved, or lost...or SOMETHING other than continuing!

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1384271' date='Sep 12 2007, 02:01 PM']Look at the late Alex. He was smart.
I concur with all of the above.[/quote]
Why thank you, T-Bone. I knew I liked you. :))

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1384884' date='Sep 13 2007, 02:05 PM']But it hasn't been moved yet! We need to get word out to the Lame Boarders to come over here and help out with that, I think...I can't do that much teasing all by myself. I need other people to play off of. I'm doing my best just to keep it off topic enough to get it moved, or lost...or SOMETHING other than continuing![/quote]
That's a really FANTASTIC way of encouraging honest debate: if someone doesn't agree with you, and the thread is turning a direction that you don't like:

1) declare the matter settled
2) tell everyone who disagrees with you that they're a bunch of intolerant close-minded individuals
3) spam it to death so it gets moved to the lame board.

Way to quash opinions contrary to your own, insuring that you'll never have to consider that you may be wrong on some point at some time!