An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty: Does It Include Bare Shoulders In Church?

fides quarens intellectum

Bare shoulders in Church?  

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a bit of common sense goes a long way. Although there are some hard fast rules(no string bikinis), many of these questions are matters of individual dicernment. I do not believe there is a "one size fits all" standard of modesty that is right for every woman. If a woman is truely in tune with the spirit, the "hoochie mamma" bell should go off in her head when she has crossed the line of modesty. I've witnessed both sides of the spectrum, I went to a public high school where some of the girls dressed like prostitutes, AND I went to an ultra-Catholic college where some women were afraid to wear normal one piece bathing suits and go swimming, where the long skirt and sweater look was the staple fashion day after day, where the "would Mary wear this?" question by the full legnth mirror in the bathroom would instill a feeling of guilt and shame (as if we could picture the BVM in anything but the dress of her time) and where the modesty question could sometimes turn into a baston of judgementalism. A woman who is dressed immodestly can sometimes cause others to reduce her to mere "parts," yes, but in the same way we can devalue that woman when we judge her simply by how she is dressed. As Christians we are called to act in love and mercy and see the beauty and dignity that lies within her, to look beyond externals and see the soul.

Edited by friendofJPII

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1380917' date='Sep 8 2007, 11:28 AM']I never thought I'd see the day

:ohno:[/quote]
I've suspected since "The Humanure Project of 2006"

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1380932' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:48 AM']I've suspected since "The Humanure Project of 2006"[/quote]
:rolling:

MissScripture

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1380835' date='Sep 8 2007, 08:29 AM']I think a bit of common sense goes a long way. Although there are some hard fast rules(no string bikinis), many of these questions are matters of individual dicernment. I do not believe there is a "one size fits all" standard of modesty that is right for every woman. If a woman is truely in tune with the spirit, the "hoochie mamma" bell should go off in her head when she has crossed the line of modesty. I've witnessed both sides of the spectrum, I went to a public high school where some of the girls dressed like prostitutes, AND I went to an ultra-Catholic college where some women were afraid to wear normal one piece bathing suits and go swimming, where the long skirt and sweater look was the staple fashion day after day, where the "would Mary wear this?" question by the full legnth mirror in the bathroom would instill a feeling of guilt and shame (as if we could picture the BVM in anything but the dress of her time) and where the modesty question could sometimes turn into a baston of judgementalism. A woman who is dressed immodestly can sometimes cause others to reduce her to mere "parts," yes, but in the same way we can devalue that woman when we judge her simply by how she is dressed. As Christians we are called to act in love and mercy and see the beauty and dignity that lies within her, to look beyond externals and see the soul.[/quote]
Thank you! I've been thinking that last part, but I didn't know how to say it. It seems by taking it to the extreme either way, we end up with the same results.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1380835' date='Sep 8 2007, 02:29 PM']I think a bit of common sense goes a long way. Although there are some hard fast rules(no string bikinis), many of these questions are matters of individual dicernment. I do not believe there is a "one size fits all" standard of modesty that is right for every woman. If a woman is truely in tune with the spirit, the "hoochie mamma" bell should go off in her head when she has crossed the line of modesty. I've witnessed both sides of the spectrum, I went to a public high school where some of the girls dressed like prostitutes, AND I went to an ultra-Catholic college where some women were afraid to wear normal one piece bathing suits and go swimming, where the long skirt and sweater look was the staple fashion day after day, where the "would Mary wear this?" question by the full legnth mirror in the bathroom would instill a feeling of guilt and shame (as if we could picture the BVM in anything but the dress of her time) and where the modesty question could sometimes turn into a baston of judgementalism. A woman who is dressed immodestly can sometimes cause others to reduce her to mere "parts," yes, but in the same way we can devalue that woman when we judge her simply by how she is dressed. As Christians we are called to act in love and mercy and see the beauty and dignity that lies within her, to look beyond externals and see the soul.[/quote]

Amen to that.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1380835' date='Sep 8 2007, 07:29 AM']I think a bit of common sense goes a long way. Although there are some hard fast rules(no string bikinis), many of these questions are matters of individual dicernment. I do not believe there is a "one size fits all" standard of modesty that is right for every woman. If a woman is truely in tune with the spirit, the "hoochie mamma" bell should go off in her head when she has crossed the line of modesty. I've witnessed both sides of the spectrum, I went to a public high school where some of the girls dressed like prostitutes, AND I went to an ultra-Catholic college where some women were afraid to wear normal one piece bathing suits and go swimming, where the long skirt and sweater look was the staple fashion day after day, where the "would Mary wear this?" question by the full legnth mirror in the bathroom would instill a feeling of guilt and shame (as if we could picture the BVM in anything but the dress of her time) and where the modesty question could sometimes turn into a baston of judgementalism. A woman who is dressed immodestly can sometimes cause others to reduce her to mere "parts," yes, but in the same way we can devalue that woman when we judge her simply by how she is dressed. As Christians we are called to act in love and mercy and see the beauty and dignity that lies within her, to look beyond externals and see the soul.[/quote]
What a great way of stating this. I'm sorry I was so focused on humanure earlier that I missed it ...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1380932' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:48 AM']I've suspected since "The Humanure Project of 2006"[/quote]

I missed most of the hysterically funny threads.

[quote name='uruviel' post='1378112' date='Sep 4 2007, 07:39 PM']I don't believe it's appropriete for mass. If it is for a special occasion, like a wedding, you can improvise and wear a cover or a shawl. Yes, go out of your way to be modest in a wedding if its strapless or sleevless.[/quote]

you can wear it to mass if you have a cover or a shawl. But just to go bar shoulder I think is very inappropriate.

[quote name='kateri05' post='1383390' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:22 AM']sigh... just when you think these threads are all dying of natural causes, BAM the DNR is violated....[/quote]
We could always get completely off topic and get it moved to the Lame Board where it would quickly be buried...?

rollingcatholic

They don't necessarily get buried in the lame board. They're more likely to be brought up again by some birdbrain trying to boost his post count.