An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Society Of Jesus

Paladin D

I'm in no way insulting the Order intentionally, but I've been hearing a lot of negative things about them. In the past, they've served the Church fantastically, yet from what I hear... it seems they're falling more into heteordoxy/liberalism.

What I'm asking is... "What is the latest scoop, how is the condition of the Order?"

How are they now, you ask? Well, from what I've been able to tell, it doesn't look good. But as long as there are Jesuit priests like Frs. Mitch Pacwa and Joseph Fessio, I'm not too worried. Besides, M.SIGGA told me he knows of many, many orthodox Jesuits.

cmotherofpirl

REmember the parable of the wheat and tares?

Even Jesus had to put up with Judas.

Every organization has saints and sinners.

I'm not sure how orthodox the Jesuits are, but there's hope for all people and groups of people. Even such heterodox organizations as Call to Action and Catholics for a Free Choice could be turned around. God's grace does amazing things.

dUSt writes:

Does it seem like the Legionnaires are kinda doing now what the Jesuits of the past use to do?

Yeah, I guess it does! Now, if we could only get the Jesuits to be the way they used to be, and the Legionaries to continue on the path they're on, then there'd be two really amesome Orders instead of just one really amesome Order and one that's a shadow of what it used to be.

I don't think what I just said made much sense, but it's late...

hyperdulia again

my great uncle is a jesuit and a convert...he's orthodox..well actually he's a trad...but i thhink he's an orthodox trad..anyhoo..he works in rome.

legionaires scare me. nothing against the order...it's just that everyone connected with them that i've ever met crosses the line from commmitted/devout to well psychotic, but opus dei used to seem the same way until i saw how it turned my brother and his wife around...

I'm applying to volunteer for the Jesuit Volunteer Corps internationally next year, I'm also a little wary about their orthodoxy. Anyone know anything about that organization in particular?

There are always a few bad apples, but it depends on the diocese and the particular province. I went grew up with three current Jesuit seminarians and all three of them are amesome witnesses of orthodoxy, charity, and fidelity. Since it's a really big Order, check out the stats and opinions on the individual Jesuit Provinces instead of the massive order as a whole - since it's so very big it's bound to have some priests that are liberals and anti-orthodox. Every Jesuit I have known from the New Orleans Southern Province has been great and next to the Dominicans they are my favorite order. Their spirituality and and saints and good works are amesome and if anything they can always use more devout priests.

The Legion is not the new Jesuits . .. the Jesuits were much more organic, much more soldiery . . . the Legion is only looks soldiery . . . I've never seen them get down and dirty with the nitty gritty of a place . . .

That being said, I think the Legion is amesome. But they're not for everyone. Their particular vocation is very different from the Legion.

I know a Jesuit Bishop (i know its rare, they're not supposed to be but there can be conflicts of vows) who is incredible. The Jesuits I have met are great... but I have heard rumours of strong liberal tendencies in some places. This is bound to happen. I would agree with MSIGGA and say that although some areas may be sketch, others certainly are not.

• 18 years later...

"In Praise of the (Former) Society of Jesus"

Not so long ago, giants roamed the earth. They were called Jesuits. Of course, our Holy Church has produced giants for millennia, and not only Jesuits. Forged in the fires of grace and sculpted by the divine artistry of the Holy Spirit, they have adorned the Church, as gleaming jewels in her crown. These giants changed the course of history, civilizations, and, most critically, men’s hearts.

But of these Catholic giants, few stand out as dramatically as the Society of Jesus. Even a jaded world is compelled to credit this supernatural force of giants with astonishing accomplishments. The sheer power of their spiritual and intellectual might confounds the imagination. Their grandeur is singular, causing wonderment in the eyes of most men.