An Old School Catholic Message Board

Techno = Satan

Monoxide

What makes techno music so satanic?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1382673' date='Sep 10 2007, 02:25 PM']Techno is wonderful to listen to while stocking shelves.[/quote]
Don't the strobe lights get in the way of reading labels?

[quote name='Monoxide' post='1382508' date='Sep 10 2007, 09:23 AM']From recent experience I have firmly come to the conclusion that techno-ish or any sort of trance music (steady repetitive sub) is straight from Satan.[/quote]

And moronic pseudo-christian biggots have said the same about any rock music. Point?

[quote]Looking at what it does to a crowd is scary. Aside from the obscene hip gyrations and anti-cultural head bobbings, the proximity of even the bodies is disturbing! Combined with the mdma based substances these crowds turn into the proverbial orgy of first century Rome! The image is a cup full of sinful worms.[/quote]

Is it the music, or the people. Think!

[quote]As I sit here and listen to Fedde Le Grand's "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit" I feel the urge to fornicate. This raises interesting questions in my mind -- is the entire song possessed or is it just the repetitive sub? Surely it can't be the symphasizer, as I have heard the symphasizer in some RC churches.[/quote]

Did you mean [i]synthesizer[/i]?

[quote]Besides, trancish music builds the foundation of the homosexual culture, which is becoming mainstream. Personally this is the most terrifying point, as I have worked with the products of this culture - I do not even know if what remains alive can actually be classified as human. (Meth and E driven raves ruin humanity)[/quote]

Homosexuals are not human? Who are you to judge?

[quote]Any thoughts?

-monoxide[/quote]

[mod]personal attack - Lil Red[/mod]

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1382677' date='Sep 10 2007, 01:28 PM']Don't the strobe lights get in the way of reading labels?[/quote]

That would only matter if you cared about stocking product to the right place on the shelf.

[quote name='Monoxide' post='1382508' date='Sep 10 2007, 11:23 AM']From recent experience I have firmly come to the conclusion that techno-ish or any sort of trance music (steady repetitive sub) is straight from Satan.

Looking at what it does to a crowd is scary. Aside from the obscene hip gyrations and anti-cultural head bobbings, the proximity of even the bodies is disturbing! Combined with the mdma based substances these crowds turn into the proverbial orgy of first century Rome! The image is a cup full of sinful worms.

As I sit here and listen to Fedde Le Grand's "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit" I feel the urge to fornicate. This raises interesting questions in my mind -- is the entire song possessed or is it just the repetitive sub? Surely it can't be the symphasizer, as I have heard the symphasizer in some RC churches.

Besides, trancish music builds the foundation of the homosexual culture, which is becoming mainstream. Personally this is the most terrifying point, as I have worked with the products of this culture - I do not even know if what remains alive can actually be classified as human. (Meth and E driven raves ruin humanity)

Any thoughts?

-monoxide[/quote]

I think you get the "Rave Culture" and Techno music confused. The Rave Culture is 100% pure evil, no doubt. All-night parties with sex and drugs admidst a swarm of people driven by nothing but base passion -- yes that is evil. Techno music isn't necessarily evil, though. I can think of a few songs whose lyrical content is quite scandalous, but music is music.

It sounds like you've been part of the Rave Culture, which is why you have such a psychological link between the two. For you, I would definitely say Techno is evil. Based on your experiences, it invokes disturbing images in your mind that may lead you to sin. Just as alcohol is evil for an alcoholic, and video games are evil for a video game junky, Techno is something you should stay away from. Your individual spiritual challenges, though, do not set the standard for those of us who do not have the same connotations with the music. Don't be upset, though. I know of at least 3 Catholic musicians who can't perform certain styles of music because of the tie that music has with their not-so-holy past. They simply find other styles that lead them to holiness and still their restless heart for the Lord.

Edited by abercius24

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1382657' date='Sep 10 2007, 02:45 PM']:lol_roll:

Seriously, though, I do enjoy the occasional techno. And lightswitch raves by the Cheat . . . [img]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/1/4/2/1427bf0fd21fff42b0789f2ad644b8b9.jpg[/img][/quote]
Yeah Yeah!

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1382660' date='Sep 10 2007, 02:53 PM']YES!!!!! THE CHEAT RULES!!!

Everyone needs to watch the video :lol_roll:

[url="http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html"]http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html[/url][/quote]
Amen. It's a classic.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1382667' date='Sep 10 2007, 03:05 PM']Yeah! Lightswitch raves are the coolest around... The Cheat is so awesome... I think he deserves a trophy filled with Brunswick Stew...[/quote]
OR... he could get a privilege upgrade... then he can lounge in the crisper drawer and use the mute button! :lol_pound:

I [b]really [/b]like techno music... especially some good breakbeat.

The whole "satanic music" thing goes back to the "tritone"... during the middle ages and later, the tritone wasn't used... it was considered 'restless' or 'unstable'...

There is a little about it on wikipedia: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

Theologian in Training

I think it would be easier to engage in this conversation if there were some hard proof for this whole association as techno being satanic music. I mean, from what I can tell, this is all based upon personal opinion, and not a single fact has been presented. Maybe if you could provide an article, a news report, a scholarly article, anything, it might be easier.

Just my .02

[quote][mod]personal attack - Lil Red[/mod][/quote]

You don't even know her, so you really have no right to judge her aptitude as a parent. I'm absolutely shocked by the level of rudeness in your post, and it's self-righteous pompousness like this that leaves us with little wonder why some people have a chip on their shoulder towards Christians.

Edited by Lil Red

There is such a thing as 'vulgar' music... and I'm not talking lyrics.

Just as certain words can summon evil... There has been some thought that certain tones can too, but there is nothing solid theologically that I have been able to find that verifies it or denies it.

Some here on both sides of the topic need to be more open minded.
Side bar...
Now, what "open minded" actually means is accpeting that we might be wrong and to seek an answer... google it :P

Open minded is not accepting everything :)

God Bless,
ironmonk

There is nothing wrong with certain tones or even melodies.. It is the repetitive kick that has an odd effect on the human. It is called trance for a reason. It is a sort of intoxicant, actually there was a study done, and I will link it for you when I am back at my computer, that shows that when you are concious of repeating bass certain chemicals in your brain are released that are related to the fight or flight response... i'd actually have to double check, but the gist was that people were becoming conditioned to feel pleasure from the constant flow of adrenaline and seratonin or something ridiculous like that.

Either way, I have yet to see a techno rhythm with good intentions. I suspect that even you self-declared holiest of holies have 'interesting' feelings when you are proverbially 'feeling the beat'..

No one has declared theirself "holier than holy". We're simply disputing your claim that techno is evil across the board. There's a world of difference.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Monoxide' post='1383282' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:09 AM']Either way, I have yet to see a techno rhythm with good intentions. I suspect that even you self-declared holiest of holies have 'interesting' feelings when you are proverbially 'feeling the beat'..[/quote]

I've been married for 5 years now, I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on what causes me to have "interesting feelings" and to "feel the beat" and truuuuust me, techno doesn't give me the seven year itch. :rolleyes: I never claimed to be holier, I stated that techno doesn't incite me to lust (believe it or not there IS a difference).

Simply because a study found that in a number of people certain reactions were found, or because [i][b]you[/b][/i] have a certain reaction does NOT mean that the rest of creation will be affected the same way. Such logic is faulty.

I won't dispute that music (in any form) can enhance lusty feelings, but I do object to the idea that any one form of music is intrinsically evil and will cause those feelings in everyone. That supposition is false.

[quote name='Monoxide' post='1383282' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:09 AM']There is nothing wrong with certain tones or even melodies.. It is the repetitive kick that has an odd effect on the human. It is called trance for a reason. It is a sort of intoxicant, actually there was a study done, and I will link it for you when I am back at my computer, that shows that when you are concious of repeating bass certain chemicals in your brain are released that are related to the fight or flight response... i'd actually have to double check, but the gist was that people were becoming conditioned to feel pleasure from the constant flow of adrenaline and seratonin or something ridiculous like that.

Either way, I have yet to see a techno rhythm with good intentions. I suspect that even you self-declared holiest of holies have 'interesting' feelings when you are proverbially 'feeling the beat'..[/quote]
It's hard to take you seriously when you are basically throwing a bunch of assertion at us without a single supporting argument.

[b]assertion-[/b] a positive statement or declaration, often without support or reason: [i]a mere assertion; an unwarranted assertion.[/i]

[b]argument-[/b] a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point:[i] This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.[/i]

[quote]I suspect that even you self-declared holiest of holies have 'interesting' feelings[/quote]

like a headache? :mellow:

sorry, not a huge techno fan :idontknow: of course, i don't think people who listen to it are inviting satanic orgies either.

i just think its lame :P