An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Liturgy Of The Hours Book Is Best?

Lioness For Christ

Lioness For Christ

It seems I'm going to be starting to say the Liturgy of the Hours soon... Does anyone have tips on which book is best? I heard, for example, the large print Catholic Publishing book has a TON of typos... I don't need large print, but I do hope to have an as error-free book as possible... And one with all that is necessary. Thanks!

Maria_Faustina

Mine was published by Pauline Books and Media (Boston, last copyright 1976, by the Daughters of Saint Paul). It's [u]Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours[/u] (I assume that is what you are wanting... as opposed to the full 3 volume (very expensive) sets). I absolutely love it. I know what you mean about typos/errors, too, because that would bother me quite a lot! I've had my book for over a year, and I've only ever found one typo in all 1000 something pages--they left out an apostrophe in the word 'it's.' Yep, I know. Tragic.

Oh, and it has Morning, Day, Evening, and Night prayer, and the Office of Readings, and all the antiphons/different readings for Holy Days and solemnities, and hymns, and the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary/Apostles/Doctors of the Church/etc., and..... yeah, you probably get the gist.. everything you need, basically. :) Hope that helped...

You know...the cost of the breviary sets are so expensive, that I've resigned myself to praying the Hours from in front of my laptop screen (a la websites such as Universalis and eBreviary.com). That is...until I searched Amazon for the book you mentioned, Maria_Faustina. You can find used copies between ten and twenty bucks, hardcover.

I think I'm going to invest in a copy, seeing as lately I've been (attempting) to cut back the time I spend online.

I would really look into getting yourself the four volume set from Catholic Book Publishing. Its a bit pricey ($150 for the leather bound edition) but well worth the money and will last you a lifetime. If you are entering an order, the complete edition is simply invaluable. Christian Prayer is certainly fine, since it is published by CBP, but just splurge and get the entire office. No real major typos that I can find, but I'm a lousy proofreader.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1383954' date='Sep 11 2007, 11:38 PM']I would really look into getting yourself the four volume set from Catholic Book Publishing. Its a bit pricey ($150 for the leather bound edition) but well worth the money and will last you a lifetime. If you are entering an order, the complete edition is simply invaluable. Christian Prayer is certainly fine, since it is published by CBP, but just splurge and get the entire office. No real major typos that I can find, but I'm a lousy proofreader.[/quote]

I agree whole-heartedly. There are some differences between the 4 volume & 1 volume set - the biggest one being that some of the Readings are longer in the 1 volume set for some unknown reason (at least for Vespers & Lauds...). There are 1 or 2 typos that I found, but I still highly recommend it!

I use the 4-volume complete set from Catholic Book Publishing. I will soon be entering Christ in the Desert, and they have their own Ordo. If you'd like more information about the Hours, I have a web page called the [url="http://dboyko.info/loh.html"]Liturgy of the Hours Resource Page[/url] that might be of some use to you. It's outdated and needs to be checked for Link Rot, but its still good.

• 1 month later...

Well, you have three options.

The Liturgy of the Hours (the full 4 volume set of the Divine Office)

Short Christian Prayer (only has major feast days, I do not belive it has the Propers(of Apostales, Virgins, Maryters, etc., does not include office readings)

Shorter Christian Prayer (only has Solemnities, I dont think it has day prayer or office readings)

All of the versions have the 4 week Psalter which is basically what the Divine Office is.

I am not sure if this helps, I am not sure about publishing co. I am sure you can find any of those versions on ebay for a a cheaper than retail price as well.

i can surely recomend what i received last Christmass , The Benedictine Monastic Diuranal (office) OR the Day Hours of the Monastic Breviary,its wonderful!!
-
[i]The Benedictine hours of Prime, Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline, in Latin and English in parallel columns for all the feasts and seasons in the traditional Benedictine calendar, with an updated table of movable feasts and a Benedictus/Magnificat card,Litanies, penitential psalms
Ideal for novices, monks and nuns when travelling, Benedictine oblates, guests at monasteries, and all who wish to draw upon the riches of the ancient and traditional Benedictine office.[/i]

[url="http://www.theabbeyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=745"]http://www.theabbeyshop.com/product_info.p...products_id=745[/url]
-
PAX!

Edited by EJames2

Actually if you're just starting to pray the Liturgy of the Hours, it may be a really good idea just to get the shorter christian prayer. Its a reasonably priced book (< $15), and a bit easier to use than either the large one volume or the 4 volume (or 3 volume) sets.

The single volume book is limited but I think its a good starting point -- once you make a habit of it then you'd be more inclined to go off and invest in the $150 version.

-- Carmen

• 1 year later...

Which edition of Christian Prayer is organized most like one of the four volume breviaries? (I'm referring to the Catholic Publishing one and the one by Pauline Books, because that's what I've come across searching for them, but if there is a better one, please let me know!)

And are they both complete as far as the whole year goes... at least for Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer? I mean, how do they put in the propers for Easter and Lent? Is it a separate section? Or do they just continue to use the OT proper?

I don't really care about musical settings for the hymns... but I'm confused about which one has that and which does not? Or do they both?

TeresaBenedicta

I just recently went from the 1-Volume Christian Prayer to the 4-Volume. I had decided, since I knew I wanted to get the 4-Volume, to begin purchasing them as each season came. So, I bought my first one when Lent started. I then planned to purchase the next one in the series when the time came, etc. That way I didn't have to spend the $150 all at once. Besides, you don't need all four at one time.

But, I was very blessed, for after having purchased one of the volumes, a professor donated the other three to me. So now I have all four! :topsy:

I have the 4 volume set and I find it confusing. I really really like the Christian Prayer (Liturgy of the Hours) here:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=christian+prayer+liturgy+of+the+hours&sprefix=christian+prayer"]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_16?...hristian+prayer[/url]

It's super easy to use, not really confusing and it has Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, all the little hours, plus the Office of Readings (Vigils) and Compline. It has psalm chant tones, readings from scripture and the early church fathers for Lent, Advent, Christmas, Easter and Ordinary Times - and even poetry. It has the major feastdays of each month, the the first vespers of weekends and holydays, and the offices of the dead, of pastors, virgins, blessed mother, priests, religious, etc etc etc...it is really a very COMPLETE volume that I have used every day for over ten years and find really meets all my needs.

VeniteAdoremus

One of the Amazon reviewers says it comes with music, and that Morning and Evening prayer are shorter than in the four-volume version.

Morning & Evening Prayer includes the antiphons, the 2 psalms 1 canticle, responsory, reading, antiphon for the Marian or Zach canticle, intercessory prayers our father and closing prayer.