An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Accepted!

ovenbird03

Dame--
It really doesn't feel like it is happening too quickly. Though it seems that it should be completely overwhelming, I'm at great peace with it. While I am entering the monastery with the hopes that it will be "my resting place forever", it must be remembered that postulancy is a discernment period where one is not actually a member of the community.

Thank you for your prayers (everyone)!

6 days :)

PS- I was at the March for Life today--- AWESOME

Prayers prayers prayers for you!!! I will try to remember you in my nightly rosaries for the next 6 nights! :)

How exciting!!

keep us posted!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1449439' date='Jan 22 2008, 07:59 PM']Dame--
It really doesn't feel like it is happening too quickly. Though it seems that it should be completely overwhelming, I'm at great peace with it. While I am entering the monastery with the hopes that it will be "my resting place forever", it must be remembered that postulancy is a discernment period where one is not actually a member of the community.

Thank you for your prayers (everyone)!

6 days :)

PS- I was at the March for Life today--- AWESOME[/quote]

We saw you at the Mass last night...well, it depends! The camera several times was on the Missionaries and at one point we said, "There's Lauren!" Thereupon Sr. Deepa and ran up to the TV. She pointed to the right and I pointed to the left!!!!

See you in just a few days!!!!

SMC

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1448889' date='Jan 21 2008, 09:41 AM']Certainly, next to the priesthood. :)[/quote]

Whatever vocation we are called to is the highest vocation. One is not greater then any other. A person in a third world country faithfully answering the call to married life is equal to the vocation of any other answered faithfully, whether it be priest, religious, married, consecrated virgin or any other.

I recently attended a vocation day. One of the inquirers was very upset because she felt she was not called to religious life and she believed that was a higher calling then married life. To a person, every religious in the room assured her that we do not feel this is a higher calling. If you faithfully listen to where the spirit calls, you are answering the highest calling.

Sorry, that is a heresy condemned by the Council of Trent. The priesthood is the highest vocation.

[quote name='csj' post='1449624' date='Jan 23 2008, 08:26 AM']Whatever vocation we are called to is the highest vocation. One is not greater then any other. A person in a third world country faithfully answering the call to married life is equal to the vocation of any other answered faithfully, whether it be priest, religious, married, consecrated virgin or any other.

I recently attended a vocation day. One of the inquirers was very upset because she felt she was not called to religious life and she believed that was a higher calling then married life. To a person, every religious in the room assured her that we do not feel this is a higher calling. If you faithfully listen to where the spirit calls, you are answering the highest calling.[/quote]

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1449697' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:47 PM']Sorry, that is a heresy condemned by the Council of Trent. The priesthood is the highest vocation.[/quote]

Brendan, I may be wrong but I believe that, theologically, the contemplative life is the highest vocation because of the end--union with God. Vatican II reaffirmed the hierarchy of vocation in the Church while at the same time affirming that no matter what vocation one is called to the important thing is that it brings us to Christian Perfection--charity.

Bishops and Religious are in what is called the State of Perfection. Not that they (we) are perfect, but that through our consecration we obliged by our vocation to seek perfection. The priesthood is not a state of perfection, however. (St Thomas explains why this is so very well!) I will only confuse it if I try.

When I said that motherhood is the highest vocation I didn't mean it in a theological sense but in a sense of affirmation and high regard for parents who I didn't appreciate until I was much older!

Today, unfortunately, we can confuse the objective truth with subjectivity and I think too often we do this with vocations in order to make people feel better. However, we do have a gut instinct that religious life is a higher calling because of a desire for MORE, a longing to somehow more perfectly express our love and desire for God and also by our unworthiness to respond to His invitation to follow Him in this radical way.

If God is not calling you to be a religious you are not less than. He is calling you to be holy in another way of life. Some of us are called to a more austere living of religious life and others to something less so. What must be remembered is that God is calling me to THIS particular way of life and not THAT way of life because He knows what is best for me and where I can best live the call to holiness.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1449732' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:57 PM']...He knows what is best for me and where I can best live the call to holiness.[/quote]

AMEN!

Sr. Mary Catharine--

ACTUALLY the Missionaries split up the night of the vigil...a few went to the Mass and the rest went to the IVE's to see one of the Missionaries who is now a postulant with the Servants of the Lord. So I ended up not going to the vigil Mass! But I did run into a friend of yours!!

Maybe I should clarify.

The priesthood is at the top of the vocation ladder, closest to God - confecting the Eucharist and other sacraments, etc.

Certainly the contemplative life is the highest for women.

But the best vocation for us individually, is that to which we are called by God to embrace. Certainly there is nothing less admirable than being a parent.

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1449933' date='Jan 24 2008, 01:31 AM']Certainly there is nothing less admirable than being a parent.[/quote]

That's a typo, right?

photosynthesis

I'm so praying for you! I stop by the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary every day on my way home from work and I am a huge Summit Dominicans fan!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='photosynthesis' post='1450305' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:20 PM']I'm so praying for you! I stop by the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary every day on my way home from work and I am a huge Summit Dominicans fan![/quote]

Sigh. You haven't rung at the door yet to introduce yourself in person!
Do you come on the adoration nights? :-)

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1450280' date='Jan 24 2008, 08:18 PM']I don't know anymore.[/quote]

Good. Not knowing the answers is a sign of wisdom. All I do ( as a housewife) is look to The Blessed Virgin.

Now back to The Imelda Watch and her Dominican News Hour <_<

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

Two days until my entrance.....and I got sick. :(

Tonight my family is throwing me a 'going away party' and tomorrow my friends are doing the same. And I'm coughing up my lungs and I'm pretty sure I have a fever. Not cool.
I think this is the CFR's fault. Last night I was at the Newark Monastery for a prescreening of the EWTN show "Eucharist" that some of my friends are in...and Fr. Mariusz spoke of how Satan really tries to make everything go wrong that can. For example, he said, the friars were all sick, getting the flu and colds, etc. etc. Well maybe Satan was listening in and decided "That's what I should do to Lauren to keep her from entering!" I of course don't honestly believe that is how I got sick.

WELL. I still have to Clean my room, Pack up my room, Get boots and a dictionary, finishing packing for the monastery, mail things that I'm giving away, write down addresses, give out my new address, etc. At least now (with being sick) I have more to 'offer up'!

Pray for my health please! (I have asthma...so for the few times that I get an upper respiratory infection it often progresses to bronchitis which my body is REALLY bad at fighting off).

And Pray for my family! Some of my family members are having such a bad time with this that I can't be in the same room with them because they are so upset.

2 days, 2 days. :)