An Old School Catholic Message Board

When You're Going To Confession...

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

When you're going to confession, unless it's a private appointment or something, or if it's been 40 years since your last confession, and ESPECIALLY if people are waiting behind you -- [b]don't turn your flippin' confession into a psychiatric counseling session![/b] :maddest:

There was a lady who took, I don't know, almost 20 minutes today. Given that the priest only has an hour to hear the confessions and there's several people waiting -- you know, speed it up a bit.

Love, your local fellow parishioner. :)

Maybe it HAD been a long time since her last confession or maybe it was an emergency. I'm sure she didn't intend to take just long enough that other people couldn't have their turn.

C'mon now. Give her the benefit of the doubt.

(That being said, I will keep time limits in mind if I go to a confession where people are in line behind me.)

But I really think that the problem is that so many priests only hear confession once a week for one hour.

Ash Wednesday

True, but people can make an appointment, though. I agree that don't think she meant any harm. It's just a general observation and a polite reminder. The anger was really just in jest, that's why I capped the ending with a :)

Understandable.

:)

I just imagine my first confession will take, ohhh... at least half an hour. I'll have 19 and a half years worth of confessing to do.

Ash Wednesday

I don't want to dissuade anyone from making a thorough confession. :(

I'm just crabbing about confession of the weekly everyday parishioner sort. :)

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Alycin' post='1448183' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:03 PM']Understandable.

:)

I just imagine my first confession will take, ohhh... at least half an hour. I'll have 19 and a half years worth of confessing to do.[/quote]

Don't forget to subtract 7 years, you know, 7 years to reach the age of reason! :P
(Just kidding!) :D

Er, even if you have that long... just make a mental list of the BIG ONES. And go for the biggest one first. Once that's done, it's over.

Ash Wednesday

Yeah, I always get the big fat ones out of the way. Usually by then, the priest starts to get nervous and likes to speed things along too if possible. :sweat:

I got "told" once by a fellow parishioner for taking too long in the confessional with a line-up behind me. When I exited this guy was like "Hey you!" and tapped his finger on his watch, clearly infuriated. (He must've had some urgent transgressions to unload!)

Then I was like, "WHAT! You got a problem with me confessin' my sins, homes? I takes howeva long I wanna takes, sucka!" Actually, no, I didn't say anything.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448153' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:49 PM']When you're going to confession, unless it's a private appointment or something, or if it's been 40 years since your last confession, and ESPECIALLY if people are waiting behind you -- [b]don't turn your flippin' confession into a psychiatric counseling session![/b] :maddest:

There was a lady who took, I don't know, almost 20 minutes today. Given that the priest only has an hour to hear the confessions and there's several people waiting -- you know, speed it up a bit.

Love, your local fellow parishioner. :)[/quote]

While I understand your frustration, perhaps that was a moment she needed to experience the fullness of grace, maybe it was something incredibly big, or maybe it took her years before she had the courage to confess that sin. Granted, the priest could have offered to speak to her further outside of the confessional, but, in my experience, they never call and it could result in her possibly missing out on a great opportunity for grace that she, perhaps, desperately needed at that moment.

Of course, I am speaking as one who has been on "both sides," as it were, and I remember how annoyed I got, until I got to see, firsthand, why a priest may take more time than usual. It is those types of confessions, in my experience, that lead to a change in that person's life forever, they are never the same person as they were before they entered. I am not trying to make you feel bad, but maybe better understand the need we sometimes have to take more time than "usual," and why, if we didn't, we really would not be doing our job and fulfilling our reason for being ordained. That is not to say your sin is not as important, but it might not elicit as much time as this one.

Hope that helps.

If I was going to be longer than a few minutes, I would call to make an appointment, primarily because I'm not supposed to kneel at all, and ours is the old closet kind, plus the only confession time he schedules is 30 minutes before masses. If someone keeps him too long, mass starts late. Nothing like making a spectacle of yourself.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1448252' date='Jan 20 2008, 12:01 AM']While I understand your frustration, perhaps that was a moment she needed to experience the fullness of grace, maybe it was something incredibly big, or maybe it took her years before she had the courage to confess that sin. Granted, the priest could have offered to speak to her further outside of the confessional, but, in my experience, they never call and it could result in her possibly missing out on a great opportunity for grace that she, perhaps, desperately needed at that moment.

Of course, I am speaking as one who has been on "both sides," as it were, and I remember how annoyed I got, until I got to see, firsthand, why a priest may take more time than usual. It is those types of confessions, in my experience, that lead to a change in that person's life forever, they are never the same person as they were before they entered. I am not trying to make you feel bad, but maybe better understand the need we sometimes have to take more time than "usual," and why, if we didn't, we really would not be doing our job and fulfilling our reason for being ordained. That is not to say your sin is not as important, but it might not elicit as much time as this one.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thank you for explaining that in a very thoughtful and balanced way.

I guess I was feeling ancy because I think she's a regular and I hadn't gone in 6 months. I felt like a kid that REALLY NEEDED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM.