An Old School Catholic Message Board

When You're Going To Confession...

Ash Wednesday

I always sit across from my Priest. After my life long confession, my sins now are pretty minor. Plus, there is something about having to actually face someone when you confess that is a more freeing than behind the screen.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448458' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:41 PM']Ever consider it may be a priest who came up with a long-winded statement? I used to know a hard of hearing priest would would get stuck on tangents. It was really funny unless you were the one who got stuck. :hehehe: Most confession would be over in minutes, sometimes it would take up to a half hour.[/quote]
good point, maybe it's the priest. ;)

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448463' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:19 PM']Lordy, now I feel like everyone is dogpiling on me.[/quote]
i know how you feel though.

I actually MUCH prefer face-to-face Confession than the traditional behind-the-screen Confession as well. I'm much more comfortable and at ease... it really makes a significant difference for me. (This is just me... I know lots of Catholics who feel quite the opposite.)

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1448458' date='Jan 20 2008, 03:41 PM']Ever consider it may be a priest who came up with a long-winded statement? I used to know a hard of hearing priest would would get stuck on tangents. It was really funny unless you were the one who got stuck. :hehehe: Most confession would be over in minutes, sometimes it would take up to a half hour.[/quote]
Yeah, I know that kind of priest. The leader of my youth ministry is one of those priests. It's a good long, though.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448463' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:19 PM']Lordy, now I feel like everyone is dogpiling on me.[/quote]
DOGPILE!!! RAHHH!!!!!

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448463' date='Jan 20 2008, 05:19 PM']Lordy, now I feel like everyone is dogpiling on me.[/quote]

My feeling is that the priest knows best how to handle his confession, not we, the bystander. He knows that there are others waiting and he did his best to care for the soul handed to him. If it was wise for him to tell a long talker to stop, then he would.

I know that its frustrating to not be able to go to confession, but if anything its the place that one sacrament in which one should approach the most patience.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1448682' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:06 PM']DOGPILE!!! RAHHH!!!!![/quote]

[img]http://content6.flixster.com/photo/35/33/43/3533436_gal.jpg[/img]

You sound like Walken as the Hessian Horseman.

One of the priests at my Church loves to counsel people, so when he hears confessions you can sometimes be in there for 15-20 minutes. Just last week he let me confess after the time for confessions had officially ended...

"Melissa, are you the last one?"
"Yes, just me."
"Oh, thank goodness...I'm saying Mass tonight..."
"Monsignor, it's 4:55."
"Don't worry. They can't start without me. :sign:"

I was in and out of there in three minutes, and Mass was on time! :lol: It's always easier for me when I go quickly. I get very nervous if I have to wait and am usually braindead by the time I get in there, anyway. ;)

If I know I'm going to need a lot of time, I'll show up extra early so I don't need to rush.

The other week, someone was in the confessional for 25 minutes. People were tapping their watches and looking disturbed. I thought it was funny...:hehe:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448153' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:49 PM']When you're going to confession, unless it's a private appointment or something, or if it's been 40 years since your last confession, and ESPECIALLY if people are waiting behind you -- [b]don't turn your flippin' confession into a psychiatric counseling session![/b] :maddest:

There was a lady who took, I don't know, almost 20 minutes today. Given that the priest only has an hour to hear the confessions and there's several people waiting -- you know, speed it up a bit.

Love, your local fellow parishioner. :)[/quote]

Did you confess your lack of patience and your anger over that woman taking so much of confession time? Hmm, lack of charity, lack of compassion, love thy neighbor? Hmmm, you could have been in there for twenty minutes. :banana:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Deb' post='1448943' date='Jan 21 2008, 01:34 PM']Did you confess your lack of patience and your anger over that woman taking so much of confession time? Hmm, lack of charity, lack of compassion, love thy neighbor? Hmmm, you could have been in there for twenty minutes. :banana:[/quote]

Ha. Ha. Real funny. Thanks a lot.

If I ever post [b]anything[/b] like this on here again I'm really going to think twice.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

No worries Ash. I went to Confession this past Saturday too. I thought with it snowing in NC that the line would be super short, but apparently everyone thought they were going to freeze to death and had to get that last sin purged before their frozen demise. This one older gentleman (who is my favorite lector) went in and took no less than 15 minutes. I couldn't help but wonder what he had to confess that could take so long. After all, no one could possibly sin as much as me. :devil:

I will concur with previous posters though that many times it's the priest who goes long. I'd be OK with a little absolution, but often Father has a "pearl of wisdom" for me to overcome my bad habits. But if I overcame them so easily what would I have to confess next time??

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448153' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:49 PM']When you're going to confession, unless it's a private appointment or something, or if it's been 40 years since your last confession, and ESPECIALLY if people are waiting behind you -- [b]don't turn your flippin' confession into a psychiatric counseling session![/b] :maddest:

There was a lady who took, I don't know, almost 20 minutes today. Given that the priest only has an hour to hear the confessions and there's several people waiting -- you know, speed it up a bit.

Love, your local fellow parishioner. :)[/quote]

And people say I'm mean.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1449096' date='Jan 21 2008, 09:37 PM']And people say I'm mean.[/quote]

Trust me, you're probably the last person I really want to hear from on this one. If you had several people already chiming in on you, I'd probably stay out of it. Usually, I TRY to stay out of it when this sort of thing happens so someone doesn't feel overwhelmed. And at LEAST I can try to ADMIT THAT I CAN BE WRONG.

I can handle two or three people getting a point across. In fact I welcome and appreciate having some perspective from a priest. I can EVEN handle several people chiming in. I can even learn to try not to take it personal and shrug off Deb's joke at my expense.

But now, seriously, get off my back.

I'm SORRY, okay? Now will people PLEASE let it go, I GET THE POINT. I don't think I've ever felt so stupid on here.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Ash W . . . I've been the person in front of you and I've been the person behind you . . . I'm sorry I forgot about you when I was in the former position, and for what I said about you when I was in the latter . . .
:surrender:
:blowkiss: no, wait, I can't do that [congratulations on the engagement, btw] . . . :flowers:
:grouphug:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448463' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:19 PM']Lordy, now I feel like everyone is dogpiling on me.[/quote]

Hey for what its worth Ash, I'm with you. I don't stand in line anymore because it just bugs me. I worry that I don't have the right mindset when I go in to confession but I'm pretty sure the lady that just spent 20 minutes in there doesn't have the proper understanding.

So I go to confession with my spiritual director. It works out pretty well. My spiritual director seems genuinely honored to hear my confession. Plus it makes it harder to repeat sins because I'm gonna see the guy in a few weeks. And how awkward that becomes when I have to confess the same thing I just confessed.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1449104' date='Jan 21 2008, 07:07 PM']I'm SORRY, okay? Now will people PLEASE let it go, I GET THE POINT. I don't think I've ever felt so stupid on here.[/quote]:comfort: :flowers:

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1449165' date='Jan 21 2008, 09:02 PM']So I go to confession with my spiritual director. It works out pretty well. My spiritual director seems genuinely honored to hear my confession. Plus it makes it harder to repeat sins because I'm gonna see the guy in a few weeks. And how awkward that becomes when I have to confess the same thing I just confessed.[/quote]me too. especially the awkward part. cause then i get the "look". :ohno: and i hate getting that look.