An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Of The Hours

cmotherofpirl

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

Null votes are sad.. If it counts for anything I prayed the Office daily back when I was discerning. haha.

Now I only pray the office from time to time which stinks, but I guess I'm less hardcore. :weep:

Now I only pray the office from time to time which stinks, but I guess I'm less hardcore. :weep:
[/quote]

Don't be so hard on yourself. God isn't. Terese of Avila counseled, "pray as you can and not as you can't". Try setting "baby steps" for yourself. For instance, Aim to pray Vespers for one week. Then add to it. Set goals that are attainable.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1486653' date='Mar 28 2008, 10:37 AM']+J.M.J.+
i'm not discerning, but i pray at least 2-3 of the hours every day ^_^[/quote]
:yahoo:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='EWIE' post='1486646' date='Mar 28 2008, 10:25 AM']Now I only pray the office from time to time which stinks, but I guess I'm less hardcore. :weep:
Don't be so hard on yourself. God isn't. Terese of Avila counseled, "pray as you can and not as you can't". Try setting "baby steps" for yourself. For instance, Aim to pray Vespers for one week. Then add to it. Set goals that are attainable.[/quote]
:cheers:

Thanks. :cool:

TotusTuusMaria

I am discerning.

I pray the Little Office of the BVM. I don't pray the "big" Office because I don't know how. It is confusing. And when I ask for help... everyone tells me that I can "omit" this and that I need to pray that... but everyone says something different. And it seems like it is all over the place... I wouldn't know which page to turn to. :idontknow:

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1486779' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:10 PM']I am discerning.

I pray the Little Office of the BVM. I don't pray the "big" Office because I don't know how. It is confusing. And when I ask for help... everyone tells me that I can "omit" this and that I need to pray that... but everyone says something different. And it seems like it is all over the place... I wouldn't know which page to turn to. :idontknow:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
get a st. joseph's guide at [url="http://www.catholicbookpublishing.com/BrowseByDepartments.aspx?DepID=11&HierID=11"]this site.[/url] it will help greatly. :)

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:18 PM' post='1486787']
+J.M.J.+
get a st. joseph's guide at

NO beginner should attempt the entire Office, St. Josephs guide or not.
Would you eat an entire cake if offered.
I think one would prefer just a small piece at first.

Of course, I was presuming "beginner" judging from the posters message.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1486779' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:10 PM']I am discerning.

I pray the Little Office of the BVM. I don't pray the "big" Office because I don't know how. It is confusing. And when I ask for help... everyone tells me that I can "omit" this and that I need to pray that... but everyone says something different. And it seems like it is all over the place... I wouldn't know which page to turn to. :idontknow:[/quote]

If you'd like, I can help you...either with the Christian Prayer or the Benedictine Office (the shorter form, all in one book except for Vigils, would probably easiest). The new Benedictine Prayer Book (it's a little costly) is very easy to use and the St. Joseph's guide isn't required. That's not to say the Christian Prayer with the St. Joseph Guide isn't "good"...just different.

Also, have you ever tried to go to the Universalis site? They have it online.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1486573' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:39 AM']If not, why not?[/quote]

That's a good question. I usually just pray it when my brother in the seminary is home together with my dad. It's great for praying with people, but also I should pray it more on my own too. Thanks for the reminder.

I usually just use Christian Prayer when I do pray it. When I got it, I decided I did not like only having 5 ribbons and then having to use bookmarks for everything else. So I made my own ribbon insert thing, and have a whole bunch of smaller ones now :j

praying4carmel

On some Mornings that I am rushing, and have gotten to bed late previously I use Universalis!
Thank God for it! It really is wonderful to have something on line.

I have used Christian Prayer for years, and have just received my full set of L.O.H. which I am looking forward to using!

I agree that it takes effort to get up early and say your Office, but it starts the day off well for me so that is why I do it. Also because I miss the Lord if I don't. :( That discipline was not done overnight. I agree with EWIE, it's alot in one serving, a little at a time works well.

One thing I do not Omit is Night Prayer. I cannot sleep well without thanking God for making thru another day, and for helping me. These days I need all the help I can get!

I have been doing a chaplet before bed of Divine Mercy (Novena) since we are coming up here in Divine Mercy Sunday, and that is wonderful too.

praying4carmel

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1486857' date='Mar 28 2008, 04:45 PM']I usually just use Christian Prayer when I do pray it. When I got it, I decided I did not like only having 5 ribbons and then having to use bookmarks for everything else. So I made my own ribbon insert thing, and have a whole bunch of smaller ones now :j[/quote]

That's great margaret Clare the Ribbons and Bookmark thing does not work well for me either!

VeniteAdoremus

My office book (I think it's the Dutch version of Christian Prayer) has only four ribbons, which give me a wonderful excuse to stock up on prayer cards :) I switch them every once in a while and then they diffuse into my diary, bible, etc.

Ultimate goal: not being able to open [i]any[/i] of my books without a bunch of prayer cards dropping out. Especially my physics textbooks :smokey:

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1486914' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:59 PM']My office book (I think it's the Dutch version of Christian Prayer) has only four ribbons, which give me a wonderful excuse to stock up on prayer cards :) I switch them every once in a while and then they diffuse into my diary, bible, etc.

Ultimate goal: not being able to open [i]any[/i] of my books without a bunch of prayer cards dropping out. Especially my physics textbooks :smokey:[/quote]
I too :love: my prayer cards and bookmarks. I have them in almost all of my books--then again I'm a theology student, so it's not as embarrasing for me. :rolleyes: Each bookmark has a special significance/relationship to the book it's in. It's kinda fun.